Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone with a 4x4, preferably a Rebel, confirm if the RP 20-820 fits the STOCK oil filter location? I'm coming due for a change, and I know the 20-500 does NOT fit properly (I don't want to have to use the brake screw driver and hammer again...), but the 10-48... It's freaking tiny.

I have not done a filter relo yet, it is on my plans, but the Boss doesn't want me spending that kind of money right now, when kid #2 is due in less than a month.

I checked the dimensions online, and I know the 820 is ~1" larger diameter, and about 1" taller. I know the 820 will fit vertically between the transfer case and the nipple (The 500 is like an extra inch taller, and "fit", but again, it required tools to remove that I shouldn't use for that), but i don't know if it fits with the diameter, and I don't want to get under the truck, drain everything, only to find the filter doesn't fit. Again.

I haven't had the time to crawl under the truck with a tape measure yet, and honestly from my "Honey Do List", I don't know if I will for a while. I can force the issue of the oil change, as The Boss does understand "standard maintenance", but if I tell her I'm checking if a "bigger" filter fits, she's gonna give me all kinds of grief, I'd rather avoid.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the 20-820 available anywhere?

My 2014 1500 Outdoorsman fits the 20-500 fine and I've used it twice now, maybe 3 times I don't remember. I'll probably stay with the 20-500 since that is what our 2019 Expedition takes as well, unless the 20-820 become readily available again or someone on here with negative results (other than fitment issues) changes my mind.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

My 2014 1500 Outdoorsman fits the 20-500 fine and I've used it twice now, maybe 3 times I don't remember. I'll probably stay with the 20-500 since that is what our 2019 Expedition takes as well, unless the 20-820 become readily available again or someone on here with negative results (other than fitment issues) changes my mind.

The Royal Purple 20-820 is available at Summit Racing.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Can anyone with a 4x4, preferably a Rebel, confirm if the RP 20-820 fits the STOCK oil filter location? I'm coming due for a change, and I know the 20-500 does NOT fit properly (I don't want to have to use the brake screw driver and hammer again...), but the 10-48... It's freaking tiny.

I have not done a filter relo yet, it is on my plans, but the Boss doesn't want me spending that kind of money right now, when kid #2 is due in less than a month.

I checked the dimensions online, and I know the 820 is ~1" larger diameter, and about 1" taller. I know the 820 will fit vertically between the transfer case and the nipple (The 500 is like an extra inch taller, and "fit", but again, it required tools to remove that I shouldn't use for that), but i don't know if it fits with the diameter, and I don't want to get under the truck, drain everything, only to find the filter doesn't fit. Again.

I haven't had the time to crawl under the truck with a tape measure yet, and honestly from my "Honey Do List", I don't know if I will for a while. I can force the issue of the oil change, as The Boss does understand "standard maintenance", but if I tell her I'm checking if a "bigger" filter fits, she's gonna give me all kinds of grief, I'd rather avoid.

Fwiw, the Royal Purple 20-820 fits just fine on my 2017 HEMI. The Royal Purple 20-500, not so good, but some folks don't have any problem getting it to fit their HEMI.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Walmart. It hurts me, but Walmart is where I buy my filters and my oil, as they seem to be the cheapest. (Well, Walmart.com, and it's enough money it gets free shipping, even if I don't log into my wife's account.)

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Walmart. It hurts me, but Walmart is where I buy my filters and my oil, as they seem to be the cheapest. (Well, Walmart.com, and it's enough money it gets free shipping, even if I don't log into my wife's account.)
Update - the 20-820 DOES fit on a 2018 4x4 truck, WITH the oil "cooler" BS MOPAR put on the truck.

Although I'm very confused, as the oil pressure is weird now.

Idle is LOWER, which I expected due to the larger filter having less restriction, but the "power" band pressure (IE driving in 8th gear on the highway), the pressure is HIGHER... 5W-20 PUP.

EDIT: 20230824 - I checked my oil pressure while I was driving to work this morning, and it made more sense. The pressure was DOWN a couple PSI with the 20-820 filter for BOTH idle AND power, which makes more sense in my head. I assume the odd "higher" pressure in "power" the other day must have just been blowing some air out of somewhere or something.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Update - the 20-820 DOES fit on a 2018 4x4 truck, WITH the oil "cooler" BS MOPAR put on the truck.

Idle is LOWER, which I expected due to the larger filter having less restriction, but the "power" band pressure (IE driving in 8th gear on the highway), the pressure is HIGHER... 5W-20 PUP.
Oil pressure is measured after the filter.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, I'll have to look around more when it's time to change again, which may be a while since I just changed the oil about a month ago and I generally put around 5k or less miles a year on my truck.

I bought PUP 5W-30 from Walmart once but Amazon has usually been cheaper when I'm looking to purchase. I think the last couple of times I have bought PUP when it's in the low $70s for 3 gallons. That gets my truck and the wife's Expedition changed with a couple quarts left over, I think I have a full gallon left over now.

Last edited:

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi

With RP filters and 5W-30 PUP I see 45-46psi hot idle and 60-61psi at 75 mph. This has been with the 10-48, 20-820, and 20-500. The 10-48 may have been 1 psi lower at idle and interstate from what I remember, but I only used that filter once. From posts I've seen on the forum my pressures seem to be a little higher than other trucks but responses have been that it's normal.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With RP filters and 5W-30 PUP I see 45-46psi hot idle and 60-61psi at 75 mph. This has been with the 10-48, 20-820, and 20-500. The 10-48 may have been 1 psi lower at idle and interstate from what I remember, but I only used that filter once. From posts I've seen on the forum my pressures seem to be a little higher than other trucks but responses have been that it's normal.
I'm still running 5-20, as the 5-30 didn't seem to make my Hemi happy. Thicker oil makes sense for higher PSI, and I agree, the 10-48 is too small, as my LAWN MOWER has a bigger filter than the 10-48... And it's a v twin.

Sluff Track

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking
Engine
?
More oil filter testing from "BRAND RANKS" on Youtube. He has re-done the test setup for better and repeatable results.
He tested WIX XP, Purolator Boss, Napa Platinum and Royal Purple. These are some of the best ones to test, IMHO.

Engineers Test the Most Popular Oil Filters

Now, for all of the Royal Purple filter users, what is your opinion of his results? He is not too impressed. I put on an RP on my Buick but am now questioning it after this. Ohh, not more second guessing!

Thanks for looking

Jim

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
More oil filter testing from "BRAND RANKS" on Youtube. He has re-done the test setup for better and repeatable results.
He tested WIX XP, Purolator Boss, Napa Platinum and Royal Purple. These are some of the best ones to test, IMHO.

Now, for all of the Royal Purple filter users, what is your opinion of his results? He is not too impressed. I put on an RP on my Buick but am now questioning it after this. Ohh, not more second guessing!

Thanks for looking

Jim
great find thanks for posting...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Thanks for looking

Jim

All these different tests are partial, surely because they're so time-consuming and expensive. Each series of tests I see has app. four different filters.

The one test I did see had Royal Purple as one of the two most efficient down to small particle sizes, along with Fram Ultra. Now this guy comes along and posts test results supposedly showing the exact opposite.

It's nice people want to spend time and effort to help, but the results don't make sense. The one I saw was a standard test laboratory. @Burla - who contracted this lab test? Was it Amsoil? It wasn't Project Farm. I can't remember.

Oil Filter Efficiency Test 20-100% MAR-2021 - Copy.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, this guy bought and cut a bunch, but from a performance standpoint, the test data we've seen still points to Fram Ultra and Royal Purple being the best for filtering efficiency.

Fram Ultra also has higher capacity, but showed more sensitivity to flow rate.

We also know Wix XP is a fine filter, but very coarse, with low filtering efficiency.

Now we have Fram Endurance, which sort of seems like the original single layer Ultra, but we don't know any more than that.

In my book, Fram Ultra and Royal Purple are still the two best choices in terms of performance, using the biggest filter you that will fit.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still haven't seen any of the Fram Synthetic Endurance filters on any shelves here.

I have noticed some of the Ultra's seem a little scarce, like the ones for both our Jeeps.

I wonder if they are phasing those out in favor of the new Endurance filters when they arrive.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or they could screw up their own supply chain like SOPUS did changing PUP oil bottle colors from charcoal grey to Pennzoil yellow. Remember that one?

Had nothing to do with pandemic or just in time disruption. Just bad product management.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat