Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
pdf race filters

look at the flow on race filters, different media 28-30 GPM dang?? Should we be looking at race filters?

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. The wix xp51372 also fits. Same size as the 57899xp but with better flow rates and higher bypass pressure
So i usually buy the 57899Xp for my 14 sport. However the xp51372 is a better filter and still fits?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was thinking two filter set up, one high GPM the other any of our top choices. Yes I know you sacrifice microns rolling around but you can significantly increase flow?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was thinking two filter set up, one high GPM the other any of our top choices. Yes I know you sacrifice microns rolling around but you can significantly increase flow?
You won't gain any flow if you have them plumbed in series Mike,you'll only flow what the last filter in the system allows.The only way a dual set-up increases flow is if the filters are plumbed in parrell,so you basically have twice the filter volumne

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Would increased flow potentially be an answer for our cam issues? If we all had parallel dual filters and one of those flowing at 30GPM would cams even be failing? To answer that if that had potential we would need to know if our oil pumps at 30GPM. Does anyone know flow rate oem oil pump?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Would increased flow potentially be an answer for our cam issues? If we all had parallel dual filters and one of those flowing at 30GPM would cams even be failing? To answer that if that had potential we would need to know if our oil pumps at 30GPM. Does anyone know flow rate oem oil pump?
The cam lobes and lifter wheel are lubed by the oil that's thrown off the crank,there's no pressurized oil fed to them,so more oil flow through the engine doesn't really benefit the high wear areas. Upping the idle rpm,and driving a bit aggressively is still your best options along with a good OCI

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I dug around looking for the stock pumps gpm flow rate,but haven't found anything,i'd guess it wouldn't flow much more then 6 / 7 gallons per minute though with the size and length of it's pick-up tube. You wouldn't really want a pump capable of 30 gpm,as not only would it take a bunch of horsepower to turn,but with only 7 quarts in the pan,you'd also be pumping the pan dry about every 3 to 4 seconds,and hoping enough oil makes it back to the pan to keep the pick-up tube submerged

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dug around looking for the stock pumps gpm flow rate,but haven't found anything,i'd guess it wouldn't flow much more then 6 / 7 gallons per minute though with the size and length of it's pick-up tube. You wouldn't really want a pump capable of 30 gpm,as not only would it take a bunch of horsepower to turn,but with only 7 quarts in the pan,you'd also be pumping the pan dry about every 3 to 4 seconds,and hoping enough oil makes it back to the pan to keep the pick-up tube submerged
I had a tick on puro synthetic and not when I took it off and put brand new rp 20-820 on a fresh oil change on both the filters, so even if the story isnt being told by the GPM theory, more restrictive filters should be avoided imo. Finding which filters are more restrictive, well that is an entire additional can of worms.

I am real nervous for the fe2, my guess it will tick. Soon to know.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So i usually buy the 57899Xp for my 14 sport. However the xp51372 is a better filter and still fits?
Yes! I discovered it accidently looking up filters on rock auto so i started looking for thread size and gasket and whatnot and found the flow rates. Its essentially the same size but i believe it to be better

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good find on the article CJ. I've yet to find the gpm flow rates of the stock 5.7/6.4 or the hellcat pumps. Back in my AMC racing days,i used to spend several hours porting/polishing their external oil pumps,as their downfall was supplying oil to the back mains,we also used to mod the blocks with an extra oil line under the intake,that fed more oil to the back mains,and then the cranks would last at 7500 rpm

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The cam lobes and lifter wheel are lubed by the oil that's thrown off the crank,there's no pressurized oil fed to them,so more oil flow through the engine doesn't really benefit the high wear areas. Upping the idle rpm,and driving a bit aggressively is still your best options along with a good OCI

Plus gravity drain down lifter bores pressurized rocker arms, plus oil galleys to lifter bores.

All gravity drain down, plus crank splash to a cam that's high in the block for Hemi siamese valve train, even higher for the big VVT cam wheel, and shallow oil drain angle in the valve bores.
Terrible design for cam and lifter lubrication, all because of a race car engine with EPA miniscule fuel saving gizmos.
What a kluge motor.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Plus gravity drain down lifter bores pressurized rocker arms, plus oil galleys to lifter bores.

All gravity drain down, plus crank splash to a cam that's high in the block for Hemi siamese valve train, even higher for the big VVT cam wheel, and shallow oil drain angle in the valve bores.
Terrible design for cam and lifter lubrication, all because of a race car engine with EPA miniscule fuel saving gizmos.
What a kluge motor.
They brought Tom Hoover in when they redesigned the block for VVT,and he was more interested in valve train geometery,then he was on keeping the cam alive,he was also the one who spec'd a billet cam for the redesigned block,as he knew there'd be cam issues when he raised the cam tunnel,and blocked alot of oil lubrication to the lobes with the VVT tunnel.
I'd of rather had a bit poorer valve train geometery,and kept the cam tunnel where it was,and then located the vvt oil passage tunnel above the cam,instead of under it. The way the block is set up now,the stock valve train geometery is good to 8,000rpm,which is great for the guys racing the engine,and spinning it above 7500,but for the average consumer who's vehicle will never see 5800 rpm not so much.
I have alot of respect for Hoover,but i think he seriously flucked up with worrying about valve train geometery,instead of keeping the cam alive.He'd been a Chryco engineer long enough to know the bean counters would over rule him on a billet cam,so he should of worked around that issue,and did more to keep a cast cam alive. Hell if nothing else he could of designed squirters similiar to the piston squirters, that are more focused on spraying oil onto the cam lobes

Last edited:

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I also own the Pentastar V-6. I did some research a while back on the Fram filters. The cartridge for the V-6 is made in Brazil while the spin on type is made in the USA. I first started looking into this when I noticed that the same model filter for the Commodores Prius Prime looked like it was made from a different material. It is also a different color. Despite what the FRAM Rep. tells me on the phone I remain a little suspicious about the material used in the Pentastar filter. I never seem to be able to get through to an engineering type person when I call. The people answering the phone for customer service simply regurgitate what they read on the computer screen in front of them.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They brought Tom Hoover in when they redesigned the block for VVT,and he was more interested in valve train geometery,then he was on keeping the cam alive,he was also the one who spec'd a billet cam for the redesigned block,as he knew there'd be cam issues when he raised the cam tunnel,and blocked alot of oil lubrication to the lobes with the VVT tunnel.
I'd of rather had a bit poorer valve train geometery,and kept the cam tunnel where it was,and then located the vvt oil passage tunnel above the cam,instead of under it. The way the block is set up now,the stock valve train goemetery is good to 8,000rpm,which is great for the guys racing the engine,and spinning it above 7500,but for the average consumer who's vehicle will never see 5800 rpm not so much.
I have alot of respect for Hoover,but i think he seriously flucked up with worrying about valve train geometery,instead of keeping the cam alive.He'd been a Chryco engineer long enough to know the bean counters would over rule him on a billet cam,so he should of worked around that issue,and did more to keep a cast cam alive. Hell if nothing else he could of designed squirters similiar to the piston squirters, that are more focused on spraying oil onto the cam lobes
I wonder how things would have turned out had they kept the billet cam

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'd of rather had a bit poorer valve train geometery,and kept the cam tunnel where it was,and then located the vvt oil passage tunnel above the cam,instead of under it. The way the block is set up now,the stock valve train geometery is good to 8,000rpm,which is great for the guys racing the engine,and spinning it above 7500,but for the average consumer who's vehicle will never see 5800 rpm not so much.
Good lord, man - are you the Hemi Historian? How you know all this design detail?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ultimate push rod geometey for a valvetrain that only provides more power above 5,000 rpm for passenger vehicles.

= KLUGE