Oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve never went for expensive oil filters before but everyone I know around me that has Rams tell me to go with a K&N oil filter. First I’d love the thoughts of you all on that. Second what’s the difference between the Hp-1017 and the HP-2010, other than the obvious length difference? Is there any reason to go for one over the other? None of my friends have told me there were more than one available. Maybe I’m missing something but both would fit. I know my tractors have different available oil filter sizes, but that’s just life expectancy and oil change duration stuff as far as I know. Any thoughts would be great. 8b4d8b663a4be974db1587de41bc219e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithj603

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 BigHorn CC
Engine
I believe it has to do with the 8 speed trans, if you have- you want the shorter one because its a tighter space. However I think I read somewhere on here both will fit, of course I can't find that thread right now.. also for what it's worth, after all my research I decided to only use oem mopar filter- same price as those on amazon

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you're ordering an oil filter online, I would NOT run a K&N filter, they have poor filtration vs others for the same price. The Royal Purple EL filter has one of the top filtration rates of any of the synthetic filters. If you're planning on running extended oil change intervals then you 'd want the longer filter for more duration but if you follow the standard oil change interval then you can get the shorter filter ad not worry about it.

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. Great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents. I worked for champion labs for almost 15 years. They make royal purple K&N and many other brand of oil filters. They make filters of all kinds for most of the OE's and lots of others as well. K&N is basically a standard filter. Paper media like most out thrrt. You are buying the name and the 1" nut on top. Royal purple is a synthetic media that is far superior to the paper media. I believe the metal shell is thicker also. They all have to meet minimum specs to be on the shelf, so there isn't much to worry about as far as quality in general. When I do my own, I alternate between a supertech (Walmart brand) made by champion labs and Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 is basically the same as the purple with different paint label and box. Much cheaper and on the shelf at Walmart every time I need them. The supertech filter is a cheap one, but has a slightly better than bare minimum paper quality. Had to do that to get the automation to handle it reliably, so therefore was cheaper than the cheapest paper. Use whatever filter you feel comfortable with, just my little bit of info.

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I'll second the Mobil1. That's a high quality filter and the only one I use on my ZL1, and eventually my Ram.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I know this is old but from personal experience, the K&N filter with the nut on the end was terrible. Shortly after the oil change I noticed I was leaving puddles. Found that oil was somehow leaking past the nut.

I know I didnt over torque it and I'm not sure if its welded on or shrink wrapped under the label film so I'm not sure what happened.

Now I use Mobil 1 M1-113. Quality filter without any gimmicks.

Also I believe the HP-2010 was too wide to seal properly, I returned it, and ended up buying the HP-1017 or vice versa.

Edit: just confirmed I was using the 1017. The 2010 was to wide.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I used K&N for years. But their floating filter seal gasket and resign impregnated paper medium caused me to look for other quality filters. In the forum archives you can find comparative analysis based on particulate rating and quality of internal parts. Royal Purple, Amsoil Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 ate Tier 1 filters.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Not a bad filter, but there are better.

There is always something better in everything. The problem is the cost increase is not linear to the amount of "better" that said item brings and to what value over the life of a vehicle that cannot be measured by any quantitative means.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Better" might be how you feel about your purchase and not the difference between products. just say'n
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is always something better in everything. The problem is the cost increase is not linear to the amount of "better" that said item brings and to what value over the life of a vehicle that cannot be measured by any quantitative means.

Some have better filtration specs. If you plan on keeping your truck for 8 plus years, I can justify the extra dollars.