Oil pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a warranty for life on drive train purchased by the dealership, so they were at the mercy of the insurance company. The insurance refused the oil pump change and all other recommendation and approved them for a cam and 16 lifters and that is all. I even asked the service manager if the oil pan needed to be dropped and checked for metal fragments and even change the oil pump in which I would have done at my cost but was told it was not necessary. You see what the result was. I will fight with them today for a engine. I owe 12 grand and24 months of payment and have no desire to trade of purchase a new or used truck. They just need to fix it.

Octane

Reaction score
One thing I do not like about drivetrain warranties is that they have total control on what they authorize to repair.They think that if they are ase certified that makes them an authority.It takes more than basic knowledge.One warranty company wouldnt fix motor because they didnt think burning oil every 800 miles and blowing smoke was enough to rebuild it. So the owner said what do I do? Drive it till it blows up? This may be the exception than the norm tho.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got call from dealership and was told tech says there is metal in the oil. Now waiting to see what insurance is going to say to do.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just had at dealer. 2013 ram with 5.7 hemi with 142000 miles. Dealership just did a complete replacement of cam and all lifters. My question is cold start oil pressure 51psi. idle 27psi and cruise 55 to 70 41psi. Oil temperature around 212 and was as high as 221.Are these low numbers and do i need to take it back in to the dealership for them to look at. They said insurance wouldn't cover oil pump change at time of cam, lifter replacement. Cam was wiped out and 16 lifters replaced.

You need to consider that your motor has 140K on it and because of some bearing material loss oil pressure will be somewhat lower. The range you list is still in specification for that motor.

The oil pump may be a contributor to some of the lower oil pressure. I guess I would've replaced the oil pump as well at tear down even though oil pump failures are relatively rare. I know of a couple of 5.7s that are crowding 250K miles and still have the original pump.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check to make sure they put the correct oil filter on.... they will sometimes use a cheap ass Fiat filter or they put the wrong one on. Sometime around 2013-2014 they changed the filter size on the 5.7. My wife’s 2011 jeep had the cam lifter failure at 138k and they sent it home with a tiny ass cheap fiat filter. Her pressure was running lower by 5 psi. I had max care and they replaced the timing gear, chain, and pump only because they were in so deep it made sense too.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check to make sure they put the correct oil filter on.... they will sometimes use a cheap ass Fiat filter or they put the wrong one on. Sometime around 2013-2014 they changed the filter size on the 5.7. My wife’s 2011 jeep had the cam lifter failure at 138k and they sent it home with a tiny ass cheap fiat filter. Her pressure was running lower by 5 psi. I had max care and they replaced the timing gear, chain, and pump only because they were in so deep it made sense too.

Fiat makes a oil filter for the Hemi?

My 2010 and 2014 5.7 came with the Mopar MO-899 oil filter from the factory, but then later switched to the Mopar MO-339, which is physically smaller. My '19 came with the MO-339. My understanding is the MO-899 is still the factory filter for Hemis in 2500-3500 trucks.

I've used both and whatever the filter bypass is set at they appear to be the same. I've seen no difference in oil pressures.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Just had at dealer. 2013 ram with 5.7 hemi with 142000 miles. Dealership just did a complete replacement of cam and all lifters. My question is cold start oil pressure 51psi. idle 27psi and cruise 55 to 70 41psi. Oil temperature around 212 and was as high as 221.Are these low numbers and do i need to take it back in to the dealership for them to look at. They said insurance wouldn't cover oil pump change at time of cam, lifter replacement. Cam was wiped out and 16 lifters replaced.[/QU yes sadly they don't replace should have cuz all the meatal or bearings in pump seen that ! 27 very low I feel sound like damage ! keep bugging them ask what warranty is on the engine cuz didn't replace it or even ask u about it when they did all the work on it ! stealers are great in just not saying or doing things I have had the worse one in Roseville ca. never going there again ! sucks don't trust them at all ! don't stand behind there work either found out ! complain to dodge company too ok !

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fiat makes a oil filter for the Hemi?

My 2010 and 2014 5.7 came with the Mopar MO-899 oil filter from the factory, but then later switched to the Mopar MO-339, which is physically smaller. My '19 came with the MO-339. My understanding is the MO-899 is still the factory filter for Hemis in 2500-3500 trucks.

I've used both and whatever the filter bypass is set at they appear to be the same. I've seen no difference in oil pressures.

Regards,
Dusty
Yes believe it or not I think they are called Magnetti Marelli ?? But they are made by Fiat.... it was half the size of the original filter in the 2011. Definitely caused some loss of pressure!

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I'm no expert by any means. Just speaking from experience. My pressure is normally around 50 psi on cold start. Normally 35-40 at idle. Normally around 45 psi while driving. If I'm reading your numbers correctly, those idle numbers seem a bit low. Temp seems about right. I run 5w-20 full synthetic and live in south Texas.
Funny thing about my 07 dodge you could running with 7 psi and it will sat 45. No matter how many times you change the sensor. It was an issue for many of the 3rd gen diesels. If above 7 it said 45 all day long no matter what it was. Only way to bypass it is to have your own sensor and gage.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes believe it or not I think they are called Magnetti Marelli ?? But they are made by Fiat.... it was half the size of the original filter in the 2011. Definitely caused some loss of pressure!

I've never seen a Fiat aftermarket filter. Yes, Magnetti Marelli makes filters and always have, but their subsidary status of Fiat (1967-2018) doesn't really make their products 'Fiat.' I don't believe Fiat ever made a filter in their life. Magnetti is now merged with a Japanese automotive manufacturer and supplier

Best regards,
Dusty

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A bit odd they would put a used one in no? still expect to need cam/lifters in future as a used motor most likely doesnt have newer cam/lifters.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Funny thing about my 07 dodge you could running with 7 psi and it will sat 45. No matter how many times you change the sensor. It was an issue for many of the 3rd gen diesels. If above 7 it said 45 all day long no matter what it was. Only way to bypass it is to have your own sensor and gage.
Not to get off subject, but a lot of manufactures went to that system, it's basically an "idiot light gauge", at a certain pressure, it reads full pressure. They were getting too many complaints of low pressure, pressure fluctuations etc. on real time oil gauges, so they change over to a fake gauge that is either full pressure (in yours 45 above 7 or O below 7), pretty sneaky huh?? My mid 90 Ford Explorer was the same way. It made you think you had a real time gauge, but you really just had a "you have pressure or you don't" indicator.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to get off subject, but a lot of manufactures went to that system, it's basically an "idiot light gauge", at a certain pressure, it reads full pressure. They were getting too many complaints of low pressure, pressure fluctuations etc. on real time oil gauges, so they change over to a fake gauge that is either full pressure (in yours 45 above 7 or O below 7), pretty sneaky huh?? My mid 90 Ford Explorer was the same way. It made you think you had a real time gauge, but you really just had a "you have pressure or you don't" indicator.

Those of us who've owned small block Chevies know exactly what you're talking about!

The current spec. for oil pressure on a 5.7 Hemi is a minimum of 4 pounds at curb idle. That spec. is almost universal for V8 engines. Keep in mind that that is service spec., meaning regardless of accumulated miles on the engine.

One of my boys has a friend that picked up an old Ram with a 5.7 at 271K miles. It still registered 18 pounds of oil pressure at idle, hot.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044783 miles.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Is this common for the hemi to need a cam and lifters I've got a hundred and fifty-four thousand miles on my 2011 it seems to run beautifully still what are the symptoms?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Define "common".

FCA ain't saying nothin'. It's apparent their strategy is fix-as-fail with no recall or field flash TSB. So we are left to fend for ourselves on forums. As such, there's no database documenting % failures against total population.

What there is, however, is too many people describing this failure out here.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well got my truck back. motor failure was unrelated to the cam and lifter replacement that they did the first time. Motor failure was a rod sleeve at crank on #1 cylinder. A clip holding the crank bearing next to #1 cylinder shattered and a pieces of it was restricting oil flow to Rod sleeve bearings at crank shaft resulting in excessive wear on all rods connecting to cylinder heads. #1 rod was also fractured. The final death was a piece of the clip or crank bearing by #1 cylinder was sucked into oil pump when I was running at 70mph on interstate and oil pressure went to 0psi with oil temp spiking to 295 degrees. Needlessly my lifetime warranty forever with 100$ deductible replaced the engine with remanufactured one. Now have a rebuilt engine with 36 months/ unlimited milage and then my forever warranty kicks back in.