Oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just food for thought,, There was an updated oil pressure switch for the 14 and later 5.7s, My Durango threw a code and it was the switch ..Less than $15 at the dealer and a quick and easy install,
No more problem..

utahbill

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thread lock? Hope you never have to remove it. If Teflon tape is good enough for nuclear power plants, it is good enough for vehicular use.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to borrow an oil pressure tester from autozone tomorrow night and check it with that before and after I changet the oil. If they have a bores cope I can use I'll grab one of those too.

It gets lots of short trips to work and home and once or twice a month I drive it a good 60 miles one way to visit family. Going to be fun to figure this out.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But if I do have to get it rebuilt I'll know it should last quite a while.

Might even have a bigger cam thrown in it.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just about to start draining the oil and decided to run codes to see if there was anything else popping up. Now I've got five codes.

P0301/misfire

P0521/oil pressure switch sensor switch circuitrange/performance

P1004/shortened Caldecott performance

P1524/oil pressure out of range camshaft advance/retard disable

P0105/Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction

I'm going to change the oil just so I have price of mind on that. For the misfire. I changed my spark plugs not even a month ago to clear up a misfire. And also changed the camshaft position sensor earlier this year.

It's gonna go to a shop and get figured out. I'm done trying to figure it out and unfortunately don't have enough time to spend digging into it.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed the oil and cleared my codes to see if they come back. After a 15 mile drive no codes and oil pressure is sitting at 40-42 psi warm idle and goes up from there as it should. It still needs some attention but I'm guessing the pressure sender was bad and in the beginning I should have cleared the code I figured after a drive it two it would have shut off and pressure would have showed correctly.

Thanks everyone for the tips. It was much appreciated.

Still will be going to the shop soon to see what's going on with the blowby.