oil problems- Code: p0521/p0522

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 07 5.7L Hemi, i first had code p0521 and I changed oil pressure switch and got an oil change, during the oil change they said my oil looks burnt and its only been 2k miles since my previous oil change. then i disconnected battery to reset computer and drove it around for a while now its showing p0522. Any advice on whats wrong, please help.

OP
OP
D

Doug1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
also the engine sounds like its running good, so I dont know, anyone please help???/

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil looks burnt? What does that mean? I know oil changes color but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Are you running 5W-20 or 5W-30? It shouldn't matter what your running. But id double check your connections on the new sensor. Or maybe the sensor itself is bad. Try another one

OP
OP
D

Doug1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil looks burnt? What does that mean? I know oil changes color but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Are you running 5W-20 or 5W-30? It shouldn't matter what your running. But id double check your connections on the new sensor. Or maybe the sensor itself is bad. Try another one

i don't know they said it looks burnt, it just looked black to me. Im using 5w-20, and I checked all the wiring and connections everything looks good without taking the wiring harness tubes off. Maybe I should take the tubes off to check the wires more thoroughly, I just ordered another new pressure sensor in case thats ones bad.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Do you have an oil pressure gauge ? What's it read? Who does your oil changes and what brand oil do you use?

OP
OP
D

Doug1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have an oil pressure gauge ? What's it read? Who does your oil changes and what brand oil do you use?

Yes I do and i never goes low into the red and the oil light never comes on only the check engine light. "Oil Changers" does them and they used to used Mobile 1 but they dont carry it anymore now there are using Redline, they say it is there high end oil and they said they gave me high mileage too cause I have 240k mile on my truck. I spent $150 there, $80 for the oil and $70 for an oil system cleaner additive and an oil system flushout clean. And I had Moblie 1 in when this started so I dont think its this new oil brand.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I do and i never goes low into the red and the oil light never comes on only the check engine light. "Oil Changers" does them and they used to used Mobile 1 but they dont carry it anymore now there are using Redline, they say it is there high end oil and they said they gave me high mileage too cause I have 240k mile on my truck. I spent $150 there, $80 for the oil and $70 for an oil system cleaner additive and an oil system flushout clean. And I had Moblie 1 in when this started so I dont think its this new oil brand.
The oil pressure gauge in your cluster is a dummy gauge. Daimler-Chrysler engineers, in their infinite wisdom, determined that the needle will remain near the mid-mark when values from the oil pressure sending unit start falling below 10psi. When this value falls below 4psi, it immediately drops to the red, chimes, and gives an indicator light for low pressure in your cluster.

Per the 2006 FSM (same generation engine as yours), these are the pressures you should see:
  • Oil Pressure:
    • Curb Idle–25 kPa (4 psi) minimum
    • 3000 rpm–170 - 758 kPa (25 - 110 psi)
On the high mileage oil, don't use it, it is typically unnecessary in most instances. It's okay if you used it a couple of times, but what it does is cause your seals to swell. If used all the time, it will cause your seals to continue to swell until your leak is worse than before.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stop buying snake oil . They are selling you junk. If you have dirty oil change it more often. Invest in a mechanical oil pressure gauge, it will read true pressure ,oil will go directly to the gauge.not an electric signal

OP
OP
D

Doug1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The oil pressure gauge in your cluster is a dummy gauge. Daimler-Chrysler engineers, in their infinite wisdom, determined that the needle will remain near the mid-mark when values from the oil pressure sending unit start falling below 10psi. When this value falls below 4psi, it immediately drops to the red, chimes, and gives an indicator light for low pressure in your cluster.

Per the 2006 FSM (same generation engine as yours), these are the pressures you should see:
  • Oil Pressure:
    • Curb Idle–25 kPa (4 psi) minimum
    • 3000 rpm–170 - 758 kPa (25 - 110 psi)
On the high mileage oil, don't use it, it is typically unnecessary in most instances. It's okay if you used it a couple of times, but what it does is cause your seals to swell. If used all the time, it will cause your seals to continue to swell until your leak is worse than before.

So your saying the oil pressure is not the problem then? cause my oil light never comes on meaning it never drops below 4 psi.

OP
OP
D

Doug1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I installed a permanent gauge in my dash , I started with a tee at the oil pressure sending unit,then used -3 hose to the clutch firewall plate to an elbow first hose was 6’long. Once inside another -3 hose 4’ long to the gauge I used aa Bosch oil pressure gauge ,it came with water and volts but discarded them. The gauge is smaller then 2” I think like 1.5” to fit in dash below cubby o driver side . The tee should be 1/8” npt
This is what I got from summit I got the gauge at pep boys,ithink I also bought a oil line kit for the fittings (cheap nylon hose)
2EB56763-3588-439E-A057-D469DC8D3F0C.jpeg

Last edited:

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you recommend a gauge? I saw this on amazon is this good? Will those fittings fit my truck?

https://www.amazon.com/YSTOOL-Press...ords=oil+pressure+gauge&qid=1608831420&sr=8-7
The code you provided, P0522, is low oil pressure with a CEL and/or Low Oil Pressure (LOP) light being the typical symptoms (you indicated a CEL). It's likely you are on the edge, so the LOP won't light but the CEL will (consider one a warning light and the other a failure light). The dummy needle and LOP in your dash won't indicate a problem UNTIL it falls below 4psi.

I had a similar issue on my truck, except the sending unit is what failed. I replaced it and verified my cold idle temperature (it was >60psi if I remember right) and have not had an issue with oil pressure since. Though I would be surprised if I had an issue now after replacing the oil pump while working on a completely unrelated issue where I happened to be right there and was going to need to be done in a year or so anyway.

I think that particular gauge will work fine for what you want to check.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I bought an autometer brand gauge and just hooked it up in the engine compartment. I was just using it to verify the rest of the system was working. This was on a different vehicle though with a brand new motor. Sounds like you just need to verify that the codes you are getting are real and it's time for a new oil pump, or bearings. Might be good to get some before and after readings.

OP
OP
D

Doug1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I fixed the problem! originally i replaced the oil pressure sensor with a cheap aftermarket one and it didn't work, now I replaced it with an OEM part and now it works. Right after replacing it I started up my truck and the CEL was off, but the engine was still showing the error code, so I disconnected the battery and then drove it around for an hour to reset the computer and now it is showing no error codes.