ordered from Moes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tlizilani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Okay... Total noob question coming up. I was checking out my vararam and started to think about the filter. Are they using dry filters? Oiled?

If dry, how to clean? Or if oiled what does everyone use to re-oil?

It looks dry but I just wanna make sure. Tried to do a search but no answers

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
It is an oiled filter, but Green (The filter manufacturer) doesn't put much oil on them right out of the box. We have the cleaner kits for these as well for only $20. This includes a bottle of cleaner and a bottle of the filter oil. These are not listed on the website yet, but I will get them added tomorrow.

I would recommend cleaning and applying oil every 10-15k miles.

OP
OP
T

tlizilani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the good answer. I'll be ordering some of that very soon.

OP
OP
T

tlizilani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I installed the vararam yesterday, aaaand .... honestly I'm kinda disappointed with it. At first I wasn't too impressed with the build quality of it, no big deal. I can get over that. Then I drove it... and my truck is actually a bit slower from take off and seems to take awhile to get to second gear. I did some modest driving around town and a short cruise afterwards to hopefully get the computers readjusted, but still no difference today. Major bummer.

Moving on to the mufflex. Install was a breeze only part that gave me trouble was was the driver side tail pipe, but it's all good and I'm totally satisfied with that.

So idk now, give the vararam a couple more days?? Any ideas?

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unplug your battery and then drive, it will drive better but ultimately once it re learns your driving style it will settle back in

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Unplug your battery and then drive, it will drive better but ultimately once it re learns your driving style it will settle back in

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
^^ disconnecting the battery resets everything to defaults and your truck will then sense improved air flow.

OP
OP
T

tlizilani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So should I wait the two hours? Or just disconnect and reconnect and go?

I did have it disconnected during the install and I waited two hours before reconnecting.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
A couple things to check is to make sure the IAT sensor is positioned properly. The locking tab on the IAT sensor should be facing up towards the filter. Also, did you put the radiator cover back on or leave it off? If you put it back on, did you trim it to allow proper airflow to the filter?

Lastly, it is the middle of summer, so while a cold air intake does flow better, it is still sucking in hot outside air. Try to get out on a cool night and take it for a spin...you should feel an instant gain when it is breathing in some cooler air.

OP
OP
T

tlizilani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A couple things to check is to make sure the IAT sensor is positioned properly. The locking tab on the IAT sensor should be facing up towards the filter. Also, did you put the radiator cover back on or leave it off? If you put it back on, did you trim it to allow proper airflow to the filter?

Lastly, it is the middle of summer, so while a cold air intake does flow better, it is still sucking in hot outside air. Try to get out on a cool night and take it for a spin...you should feel an instant gain when it is breathing in some cooler air.

I had the battery off for 2 hours. And I checked the sensor, it's in the correct position. I originally left the radiator cover off but I put it back on and cut out the space for the airflow. After doing this it seems to be driving better, I'll see how it acts for the next couple days.

Side note the mufflex is badass!!

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the battery off for 2 hours. And I checked the sensor, it's in the correct position. I originally left the radiator cover off but I put it back on and cut out the space for the airflow. After doing this it seems to be driving better, I'll see how it acts for the next couple days.

Side note the mufflex is badass!!

Any updates or final verdict on the Vararam??

OP
OP
T

tlizilani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any updates or final verdict on the Vararam??

It's great! Had my doubt's initially but after a few days it turned out to be sweet! My wife drove into town and when she came back she said "it doesn't feel like I'm going fast" and I was a little bummed but what she meant was that the truck would be going fast and she would even notice Lol. So it's all good! Can't wait to get more mods

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha nice. I've been debating on which one to get. I got the bully dog gt hemi on the way from moe's so can't wait for that. Trying to decide on next mod now, exhaust or intake.

Studda07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on bull dog tuner :Big Laugh:.. Just reading into it alil more before I do.. Gotta keep me posted if you notice big gains

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever end up ordering it? Mine has been awsome for not having any other mods done. I'm running the performance tune w/ 93 octane, MDS and TCS off, upped the speed limiter and 1-2 2-3 shift points and the N rev limiter. It took a day or 2 for me to really notice a difference due to the adaptive learning computer but now she pulls real nice and you can def feel a difference. Can't wait for more mods!

Studda07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm stumped on what tuner, I was thinking about waiting too see what diablo has to offer with hemi fevers tune.. Heard nothing but good things about both tuners. Right now only performance mod I have is exhaust . Tuner is def next :leghump:

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any problems with the install and is a catch can needed?

I can't speak from experience on the diablo but from what I hear the trinity with hemifever's tune is amazing. I can't imagine how it would make my truck feel compared to the BD with performance tune. I think either way you'll be happy.

Install on the BD wasn't too bad, instructions were kind of lacking and some steps almost seemed out of order but I figured it out. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

As far as a catch can, you don't HAVE to have one but it's recommended to get one. I'll probably get one when I do an intake and throttle body.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just ordered the S&B from Moes yesterday, so I'm in the waiting game too. Haven't looked into tuners yet, but that will be sometime in the near future.

As for the catch can, I recommend it. The catch can catches the oil that circulates through your PCV and keeps it from being dumped into your intake manifold. There are no performance gains from it, but over time you will see performance decreases due to the amount of oil that is dumped into your manifold. Here is the amount of nasty oil that it caught after only being installed 1-2 months.

JoshikusIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't you always feel like you're always one mod away from happiness...