P0743 Code Driving Me Crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
About three weeks and 1,000 miles ago my Ram displayed a P0743 check engine code. The truck would only start out in 2nd gear and of course the RPMs were high.

I parked it in the garage, cleared the code with my code reader, and unhooked the battery cables and zip tied them together overnight (something a repair shop told me about a long time ago) to reset the computer.

Hooked things back up in the morning and life was great-shifts were good although it has seemed to slip out of overdrive at times for a second - something it has done for years.

It's a 2001 2WD 5.9 I bought new. Just turned 280,000 miles, but had my transmission rebuilt 40,000 miles ago.

Now I'm on a trip in mostly rural areas. Stopped at a stoplight the other night and when the light turned green it threw another P0743 code and started out in second gear, which I suppose is limp mode.

Cleared the code with my code reader and all was well again. Drove 250 miles to my destination. Called the shop that rebuilt it and they said to bring it in. Drove about 60 miles there without a problem.

They hooked the diagnostic tools to it and nothing was present to help diagnose the problem. They took it for a test drive twice and rechecked for codes with the scan tools - again there was nothing present.

The shop has been in business for 50 years and has a stellar reputation. The tech guy said they could replace the torque converter solenoid and of course change the fluid and filter, but that might not fix the problem. He also checked the battery and it tested fine. No charge for all this.

The transmission is out of warranty, so I know they're not trying to avoid a free repair.

The tech also suggested maybe the problem is in the computer.

WELL>>>>an hour ago I ran a 10 mile errand and when I parked it the CEL came on and I have another P0743 code to deal with. Without clearing any codes I drove it for 10 miles, coming to a dead stop and accelerating and it seems to be shifting without a problem

HELP!!!!! Has anyone shared these experiences and found a solution?

Thanks so much!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
It's not common but it's also not uncommon to have brand new sensors experience a short life. I hope you get what I mean, one of the things that sometimes happens.

I would maybe ask if they replaced the Torque Converter when they rebuilt the trans. Not saying that's the problem BUT even good shops sometimes do just the trans and reuse the converter that was already in it. Most vehicles this isn't an issue because most vehicles have more reliable and stronger converters than these trucks do.

Honestly the shop has the best suggestion of doing the sensors, fluid and filter as a starter. That fixes the vast majority of problems these things have.