Parking brake light won’t turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the brakes on my 2014 sport. I noticed while driving the truck that my parking brake light in the instrument cluster won’t turn off. The parking brake is off and the truck is driving fine. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Try pulling the lever and,pulling up on the ebrake pedal at the same time. It worked for me.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Try engaging and disengaging it fully while stopped but leave it in gear. Seams to work for me when mine does this.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Try pulling the lever and,pulling up on the ebrake pedal at the same time. It worked for me.

Like, pull up on the pedal with your foot?

This is interesting as mine has been doing the same thing in cold weather - clearly the parking brake has released, but the indicator light stays on the dash and it flashes / chimes at me when I drive.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Like, pull up on the pedal with your foot?

This is interesting as mine has been doing the same thing in cold weather - clearly the parking brake has released, but the indicator light stays on the dash and it flashes / chimes at me when I drive.
Yes. At the same time pulling in the e-brake release handle.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Get down there and make sure the previous owner didn't tap into the wiring for a stereo install. Parking brake bypass or whatever.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
For an update - the issue of the brake light not turning off when releasing has now changed to randomly coming on while driving.

I think this is going in for warranty.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Further update - dealer has denied warranty and is claiming they have to replace all of the parking brake components because I have "misused them". I'm really unhappy with FCA right now as they are simply deferring to the dealer - refusing to do anything to help.

Who would have thought that a less than three year old truck with under 43,000 kms would require a couple thousand dollars (Canadian) in repairs (have to pull the rear axles!) for a ******* parking brake.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking your dealer is blowing smoke.

Also thinking with new pads and such as indicated in your first post your cabling is a little tight triggering the brake light. Guessing you can loosen up on the cable to compensate for the thicker (new) pads and your light will stay off.

Also, inspect/clean/lubricate any connections/pivot points/return springs in your cable system.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Go to the parts store and get some brake shoes, e-brake hardware kit and some lithium grease to spray the cable down n loosen it up, if it even needs it, probably just some shoes and a cable lubing n adjustment.

Screw that dealer, pull the rear axel for e-brake lol lol lol lol! That dealer is probably doing all warranty work and needs some money coming in, that’s why they told you the axel needs removal to work on e brake! smh, idk.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Thinking your dealer is blowing smoke.

Also thinking with new pads and such as indicated in your first post your cabling is a little tight triggering the brake light. Guessing you can loosen up on the cable to compensate for the thicker (new) pads and your light will stay off.

Also, inspect/clean/lubricate any connections/pivot points/return springs in your cable system.
No new pads for me (although the dealer is indicating they are required). 100% agree re: blowing smoke.

Go to the parts store and get some brake shoes, e-brake hardware kit and some lithium grease to spray the cable down n loosen it up, if it even needs it, probably just some shoes and a cable lubing n adjustment.

Screw that dealer, pull the rear axel for e-brake lol lol lol lol! That dealer is probably doing all warranty work and needs some money coming in, that’s why they told you the axel needs removal to work on e brake! smh, idk.
Had it independently confirmed by another mechanic that the only issue is the parking brakes need adjustment (which should tighten up the cable). Pads are fine, components are fine, truck is perfectly fine outside of requiring an adjustment.

The reason the indicator light comes on is that the pedal springs back so forcefully it bounces and "lands" just above where the sensor will trip. Per one of the original suggestions if I release the pedal, but keep the release pulled out, and then pull up on the pedal it will come up another 1/2" or so and stay there. If you just let it release + bounce you can actually "jiggle" the pedal and have the indicator light go on and off.

The BEST part of this now - I rotated my tires on the weekend before going into the dealer. Realized after all of this yesterday that I forgot to put my wheel lock back in the truck ... so unless the dealer has some sort of "master key" for wheel locks - they didn't even take my wheels off to look at the parking brake system. What a joke.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah my pedal does the same thing. I thought you tried that already, that’s why I commented what I did.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Update for me on this. I took mine in to see about fixing this, the dealership's mechanic recommended complete replacement of the emergency brake system (Pads, Rotors, Plate, Tax, Labor) at $1344.84...I declined their services on this issue.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Update for me on this. I took mine in to see about fixing this, the dealership's mechanic recommended complete replacement of the emergency brake system (Pads, Rotors, Plate, Tax, Labor) at $1344.84...I declined their services on this issue.
That's exactly what my former dealer told me. Same price, but CDN exchange (so even more expensive). Replacing the shoes at the dealer = pulling the axles.

Update from me - I had to put new shoes on mine as pulling the rotors off to lubricate the adjusters destroyed the shoe. The parking brake foot pedal retracts properly (and has for the last year or so), but the adjusters don't work worth a damn - the pedal almost goes to the floor before the parking brake will hold the truck.

I've basically resigned to the parking brake on these trucks does not work well and is a poor (albeit common) design.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's exactly what my former dealer told me. Same price, but CDN exchange (so even more expensive). Replacing the shoes at the dealer = pulling the axles.

Update from me - I had to put new shoes on mine as pulling the rotors off to lubricate the adjusters destroyed the shoe. The parking brake foot pedal retracts properly (and has for the last year or so), but the adjusters don't work worth a damn - the pedal almost goes to the floor before the parking brake will hold the truck.

I've basically resigned to the parking brake on these trucks does not work well and is a poor (albeit common) design.
That's good to know, thanks!

I think I'll revisit this issue when it's time for new brakes. I don't think I'll throw on the OEM rotors and pads if there are better aftermarket options available.

One question I do have is, my extended warranty (purchased at time of new sale) by a company called CNA denied the repair under warranty because they see it as a rust/corrosion issue. So the question is, what is RAM's rust corrosion guarantee? Anyone know?

autumnwalker

Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks!

I think I'll revisit this issue when it's time for new brakes. I don't think I'll throw on the OEM rotors and pads if there are better aftermarket options available.

One question I do have is, my extended warranty (purchased at time of new sale) by a company called CNA denied the repair under warranty because they see it as a rust/corrosion issue. So the question is, what is RAM's rust corrosion guarantee? Anyone know?

I tried to do this under warranty from RAM. I still had the full bumper to bumper three year, but beyond the one year "consumables" warranty (whatever they call it). They said the brake shoes were a consumable item and denied coverage ... even though the issue wasn't the shoes, it was that the stupid pivots that failed (seized and wouldn't release the shoes).

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For an update - the issue of the brake light not turning off when releasing has now changed to randomly coming on while driving.

I think this is going in for warranty.
The emergency brake system is one of the simplest systems still left on these trucks. If your destroying your shoes taking off the drum/rotor then it sounds to me the adjusters worked and the shoes were out and you forced them off. Test the adjuster and clean it all up when you have it apart. Sounds to me like an easy fix. Also in defense of dealers, I Don't think any would warranty any type of brake work as described.

Last edited:

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 5 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
Took my truck into dealer for warranty replacement of my backup camera (covered no problem). I pointed out to dealer new problem of parking brake being engaged with no indication of the light being on. There were several instances that the parking brake was partially engaged and no indication of it being engage. Dealer said after inspection that the entire parking brake system needs to be replaced - and is not covered under warranty.?

Opened a new case with FCA hopefully they will be helpful as they have with prior issues (sunroof leak, manifold bolts, backup camera etc.)