from UP Pennzoil to Mobile1 Advanced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
Before summer, I changed my oil using Ultra Platinum Pennzoil 5w-20, mostly based on the poll here that had the UP with the most votes, but has Redline with a checkmark, not sure why. Anyway, about once or twice a week I heard an engine tick on start up that only lasted about 3 or 4 seconds. I have aftermarket headers, it's not a header bolt problem. Anyway just today, after about 6K miles, I changed to Mobile 1 Advanced full synth 5w-20, so we'll see if this one stops that little tick. If I still hear it I may try the redline next time. This is just me sharing my experience, not really a question.

Erik

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you can find lubegard biotech what we call poor mans redline (same science moly/esters) you can dump it on top of this oil change if you get that tick. If you are right at full line you can add 10 or 15 ounce biotech. It polls a little less effective them redline, but you still got a 50/50 shot at killing tick with it. Redline is about 80/20.

Old Sarge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first 2 oil changes were at the dealer with Pennzoil. Since the Express Service isn't express until you advance thru the line I did my 3rd one with Amsoil signature series. It is considerably quieter so far. (Note I have used Amsoil for a number of years now when I do my own)

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My first 2 oil changes were at the dealer with Pennzoil. Since the Express Service isn't express until you advance thru the line I did my 3rd one with Amsoil signature series. It is considerably quieter so far. (Note I have used Amsoil for a number of years now when I do my own)

I certainly agree that the Express Service definitely isn't "Express" by any stretch of the imagination. I bought a lifetime oil change when I purchased my truck and have pretty much gotten all of my money's worth from that and have decided that going to the Express Lube just isn't worth my time. I can change the oil myself in less time and I really don't mind doing it myself.

I have also just switched to Amsoil SS 0W-40 as of two days ago. I have used Amsoil for decades and have always been happy with it. It is readily available where I am located and the cost isn't bad as a PC. As others here have stated oil is cheap compared to any sort of engine repair and I plan on keeping this truck for many years.

So far the engine is quiet and no ticking at startup. My plan is to change it out in about 9-10,000 miles and get a UOA and go from there. I am currently using a Fram Ultra filter but plan on switching to a RP 20-500 at the next OCI, maybe even sooner.

When I was getting my oil changed at the dealer with PUP, I would add 15 oz. of Lubegard with every change. Now my dilemma is should I add Lubegard to Amsoil? Or is Amsoil good enough as is? Or should I wait and add Lubegard only if I notice any ticking in the future? Anybody's thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Amsoil 0w40 is very thick and stout, I'd leave that biotech card in the deck until you need to play it. If you played the card and then got the tick, then what? It is nice to have options.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Amsoil 0w40 is very thick and stout, I'd leave that biotech card in the deck until you need to play it. If you played the card and then got the tick, then what? It is nice to have options.
That approach is what I have been leaning towards myself. Thank you for your thoughts on this.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^^^

So if one wishes to to stick with the factory recommended weight, this does limit the choice of oils.

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before summer, I changed my oil using Ultra Platinum Pennzoil 5w-20, mostly based on the poll here that had the UP with the most votes, but has Redline with a checkmark, not sure why. Anyway, about once or twice a week I heard an engine tick on start up that only lasted about 3 or 4 seconds. I have aftermarket headers, it's not a header bolt problem. Anyway just today, after about 6K miles, I changed to Mobile 1 Advanced full synth 5w-20, so we'll see if this one stops that little tick. If I still hear it I may try the redline next time. This is just me sharing my experience, not really a question.

Erik
My 5.7 would tick about 3 times on start up when I bought it, no idea what oil was in it. I changed to Amzoil 5-20 and has not made a single tick since. Super quiet.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I put BG MOA in everything. My 5.7 has no tick. My GC 3.6 (I have 2) had a tick on original oil. Went to dealer for Jeeps 4 free oil changes and added MOA and 90% of tick went away. Asked dealer what brand of oil and was told "It is synthetic".

Something I have always wondered. My 1950 ford flathead has to use a very high zinc oil because of the bearings. Could high zinc be the answer to the tick?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could high zinc be the answer to the tick?
We have tested zinc without success against hemi tick. There are anti wear additives such as zinc, and extreme pressure additives such as moly, known as AW/EP additives in oil formulations. AW additives like zinc are sacrificial and easily are wiped off and repopulate, much white paper is in syn thread on this. EP pressure additives such as moly use heat, time and pressure to create a plating effect, also much paper on this in these threads. High moly oil and additives have proven to be most effective at killing hemi tick likely due to that condition providing an area of extreme pressure - EP.

This guy with all his credentials got a lot right, but also got something wrong because he like you thought zinc might be the answer to address the stiction issue. He was very close and he was correct about the issue, he just got the wrong additive for a solution, it is EP additives that aide this condition, not AW additives.

kmyvgod-jpg.jpg

imcvwvj-jpg.jpg

moly basics

Moly1Sulfur3 known as moTDC is the moly used in oil formulations and the additive lubegard biotech, has proven to address hemi tick. There has been a couple polls on these formulas and their success rate at killing tick from random forum members complied over a decade. This stuff has proven itself at the highest success rate at killing tick. Sadly zinc additives by themselves havent worked but both known tick killing products also contain high zddp, but also high EP additives. Is it possible they work together? Heck yeah it is possible until proven different.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We have tested zinc without success against hemi tick. There are anti wear additives such as zinc, and extreme pressure additives such as moly, known as AW/EP additives in oil formulations. AW additives like zinc are sacrificial and easily are wiped off and repopulate, much white paper is in syn thread on this. EP pressure additives such as moly use heat, time and pressure to create a plating effect, also much paper on this in these threads. High moly oil and additives have proven to be most effective at killing hemi tick likely due to that condition providing an area of extreme pressure - EP.

This guy with all his credentials got a lot right, but also got something wrong because he like you thought zinc might be the answer to address the stiction issue. He was very close and he was correct about the issue, he just got the wrong additive for a solution, it is EP additives that aide this condition, not AW additives.

kmyvgod-jpg.449439

imcvwvj-jpg.449440

moly basics

Moly1Sulfur3 known as moTDC is the moly used in oil formulations and the additive lubegard biotech, has proven to address hemi tick. There has been a couple polls on these formulas and their success rate at killing tick from random forum members complied over a decade. This stuff has proven itself at the highest success rate at killing tick. Sadly zinc additives by themselves havent worked but both known tick killing products also contain high zddp, but also high EP additives. Is it possible they work together? Heck yeah it is possible until proven different.

Hey burla just a thought from my brain 13 seconds ago. Do you think high zinc may be beneficial in preventing cam and lifter failure in a smooth running hemi that doesnt tick?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Since we have had guys that used stand alone zinc additives and had their engines tick, no I don't personally think it would w/o moly. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Erik
The last time I checked MOBIL 1 was not approved for use in the new Rams. PUP is. Has this changed?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Erik
My son bought a used Ram with a 5.7 and complained about a tick at startup which would sometimes last 10-15 seconds. After he started using Mopar oil filter MO-899 he was surprised the ticking went away and as of today has never returned. I later asked him what his oil pressure was with the previous filter and he said 35 at road speeds. With the Mopar filter it increased to 50 or so after warmup. I suspect his aftermarket oil filter bypass pressure was set too low. The truck in question now has 110,000 miles on it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 059107 miles.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Erik

I use Mobil 1 extended performance 5W20 and it works fine along with a Mobil 1 synthetic filter ... I also use Castrol extended performance if Mobil is sold out .. No tick problems ..

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Since we have had guys that used stand alone zinc additives and had their engines tick, no I don't personally think it would w/o moly. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Right which is why i was wondering your thoughts in. Smooth running hemi. I guess it would be hard to test to. I think your right aw additives wont do much for tick