Pinion nut recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sbryski61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 hemi
Hi all,

My 2005 ram 1500 just went in for the pinion nut recall. It ran beautifully prior to its visit. I'm aware I need a brake job soon, but not immediately. When I got the truck back the notes on my invoice were that I needed brake work, including new ebrake shoes. I drove the truck back to town on the highway it seemed fine. I pulled into a parking spot when I got home. My first time in reverse with low throttle and I felt an enormous shutter and vibration like I'd never felt before. I kept testing and pointed my mirrors at my tires and noticed they seemed to almost lock up a bit. This happens in low torque/throttle while turning. I couldn't get a mechanic that day and I wasn't about to take it back to the dealership (heard too many horror stories and now I'm one of them). I got my foreman to take it for a drive, he owns the same vehicle and he's much more mechanically inclined than I. He first thought it could be new clutch pads? But once he started driving he immediately said "that's not right". His guess was too much pre load on the pinion nut. I'm wondering if anybody agrees? Or has any other ideas? Thanks very much.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the parking brake shoes have separated in the hub of the rear rotors. Which means you DO need to do brakes immediately.

OP
OP
S

Sbryski61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 hemi
Thanks man ^^^^ I did schedule the brake work for Tuesday. Not with the dealership tho....with someone I trust. Lol