power fold mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is up to the parts manager to do the first step of contacting FCA engineering. Without an updated build spec showing the new parts, the flash is not possible. If he isn't willing to ( and they all DO know how and have the number for FCA) then short of involving the dealership owner nothing will get done. Like I said, it is the dealerships option if they want to bother with it, but they want the big labor bucks for actually installing the parts. They will not give you the number to contact FCA engineering yourself.

Perkins Dodge in Colorado Springs is who he used.

Thank you, for this info.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You guys who replaced your mirror modules with the folding ones - do you still have an original driver side you'd let go cheap? I'm doing some testing and if I can do it on the bench without needing to have my door panel off it would make things easier.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
00R/T - You want the door module without pins for mirrors? I can send you mine.. for the good of the cause.

As far as I know, all 2013+ (and possibly earlier) models have mirrors that connect to the door module, the only difference is that one module part number supports power fold and the other doesn't. I just need the standard no-fold module.

I've given up on trying to reconfigure the computer. It isn't working well and will be wiped out by the dealer. It also works differently in different years. Instead I'm working on a module that will just connect inside the door and work alongside the standard module to add power fold. I think it will end up being easier to use.

The way the system works is that the mirror switch sends a signal to the door module on a LIN bus, it then converts it to a message it sends out on the CAN-IHS bus, and when the BCM receives it it then sends a fold/unfold message to both door modules on the CAN-IHS bus. I just installed a switch module with power fold (I still have the original door modules) and I've confirmed that the BCM gets the fold switch button message by monitoring it with a scan tool. So, right now, I just need to figure out what that message looks like. I've been logging all of the CAN-IHS messages, but there are hundreds sent every second. I'm trying to find patterns by parsing through them, but it's a major PITA. So, I'd like to hook up just a switch and module on the bench and connect my CAN sniffer to it. Theoretically I should be able to easily isolate the message(s) I need if there are no other modules on the bus.

TW15TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
As far as I know, all 2013+ (and possibly earlier) models have mirrors that connect to the door module, the only difference is that one module part number supports power fold and the other doesn't. I just need the standard no-fold module.

I've given up on trying to reconfigure the computer. It isn't working well and will be wiped out by the dealer. It also works differently in different years. Instead I'm working on a module that will just connect inside the door and work alongside the standard module to add power fold. I think it will end up being easier to use.

The way the system works is that the mirror switch sends a signal to the door module on a LIN bus, it then converts it to a message it sends out on the CAN-IHS bus, and when the BCM receives it it then sends a fold/unfold message to both door modules on the CAN-IHS bus. I just installed a switch module with power fold (I still have the original door modules) and I've confirmed that the BCM gets the fold switch button message by monitoring it with a scan tool. So, right now, I just need to figure out what that message looks like. I've been logging all of the CAN-IHS messages, but there are hundreds sent every second. I'm trying to find patterns by parsing through them, but it's a major PITA. So, I'd like to hook up just a switch and module on the bench and connect my CAN sniffer to it. Theoretically I should be able to easily isolate the message(s) I need if there are no other modules on the bus.
I cancelled my appointment to install switches until I hear how this pans out. Pretty excited about the possibility.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

TW15TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8

Is there anything we might be able to do to help out?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is there anything we might be able to do to help out?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. I'm going to work on tracking down a door module to mess with. I'm hoping I can find a yard with a mangled door that's willing to pull one and cut the pigtails to make things really easy. But, that's pretty unlikely.

What's going to be tricky is trying to find a truck with factory folding mirrors to mess with. I don't see any switches to indicate when the mirror has reached full fold or full unfold, so I'm thinking the modules probably measure the stall current of the motors. I would like to profile the current of a stock setup so I can match it with my driver.

Typically the driver would cut off within milliseconds of the current reaching a certain threshold to prevent damage to the motor. That is why I'm not thrilled about going with the hardwired approach and would like to do it as close to OEM as possible.

TW15TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Unfortunately, I don't think so. I'm going to work on tracking down a door module to mess with. I'm hoping I can find a yard with a mangled door that's willing to pull one and cut the pigtails to make things really easy. But, that's pretty unlikely.

What's going to be tricky is trying to find a truck with factory folding mirrors to mess with. I don't see any switches to indicate when the mirror has reached full fold or full unfold, so I'm thinking the modules probably measure the stall current of the motors. I would like to profile the current of a stock setup so I can match it with my driver.

Typically the driver would cut off within milliseconds of the current reaching a certain threshold to prevent damage to the motor. That is why I'm not thrilled about going with the hardwired approach and would like to do it as close to OEM as possible.
What is the part number for the module? I'll look around as well.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What is the part number for the module? I'll look around as well.

I'm not sure. I have it written down somewhere. I'll have to dig it up.

There's one on eBay now for $35 and somebody is selling a door harness for the same price. I may just scoop them up.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just wanted to post an update to say that I'm still actively working on a solution for this that doesn't involve installing switches and running wiring into the doors. Since the BCM programming had issues, there's a lot more to it than I originally hoped. But, I haven't yet seen anything that makes me think it's not feasible.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so, I have a 2015 sport with power fold, puddle lights and so on. If I grab the power fold tow mirrors, does anybody know if I can put the painted white caps ( that are currently on my non-tow mirrors ) on to the tow mirrors? My buddy has a white sport like me, but with tow mirrors and I actually hate the all black look of the tow mirrors on his truck.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
so, I have a 2015 sport with power fold, puddle lights and so on. If I grab the power fold tow mirrors, does anybody know if I can put the painted white caps ( that are currently on my non-tow mirrors ) on to the tow mirrors? My buddy has a white sport like me, but with tow mirrors and I actually hate the all black look of the tow mirrors on his truck.

No. The tow mirrors are a completely different design. You might be able to get a set of chrome tow mirrors and paint the chrome pieces, but that's probably the only option.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So are non power fold tow mirrors with puddle lights and heat available in color match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So are non power fold tow mirrors with puddle lights and heat available in color match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. The only mirrors that are color matched are the "sport" mirrors. They're power-fold, non-tow.

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to read through all this but a tad confused.

I'm "this" close to buying a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport that has Tow Mirrors but not Power Folding. is it possible to switch the mirrors easily? I really need folding mirrors otherwise the truck won't fit in my garage side to side.

TW15TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Trying to read through all this but a tad confused.

I'm "this" close to buying a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport that has Tow Mirrors but not Power Folding. is it possible to switch the mirrors easily? I really need folding mirrors otherwise the truck won't fit in my garage side to side.
They will manually fold but they will not be power folding. There is currently no way to swap them out easily. Some have wired them with a double pole double throw switch and made it work. Its not factory and for some not ideal.

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They will manually fold but they will not be power folding. There is currently no way to swap them out easily. Some have wired them with a double pole double throw switch and made it work. Its not factory and for some not ideal.

Ya I was able to fold them in myself. I personally am not a fan of the tow mirrors. This truck has the 149" wheel base and the only time i tow anything is goose season. And i'd prefer to powerfold into my garage because I park my wife's vehicle in there too. It's long enough, but not wide enough.