power fold mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally would like it as it should have been from the factory but it is what it is. As long as I can get it to work I'll be fine. Just need the switches.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I hear ya but being able to fold one or the other could be useful to some people, it is like the power tilting when I put the truck in reverse, I would prefer it if the passenger side tilted down but not the drivers side stayed put. But they either both tilt or both stay put, I find that a pain in the ...

Sooners07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins

They were optional in 2013. Longhorns and limiteds hard them as options in 2013. That's the year they came out. 2016 on the Laramie and higher end trucks they are standard.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As soon as I can find a good deal on mirrors, I will know definitively if it is possible to enable the mirrors without the dealer. At this point I'm 99% sure it is.

There is a bunch of vehicle configuration parameters in the BCM that tell all the systems what options your truck has. These values get set at the factory when they download a config file based on what was installed. There is only one official way to change these parameters after manufacturing. The way it is done is by updating your vehicle in Chrysler's system with the new option codes. Once that's done, the dealer can use their scan tool to download an updated config file from the Chrysler server and into your truck. The dealer can add certain option codes to the server (like backup cam and remote start) but corporate restricts them. The other option codes can only be added by someone in corporate (generally engineering). Sometimes they will do this if a dealer calls, but most times they will not. It all depends on who is on the other end of the phone.

However, there does exist ways to modify the config parameters directly through the diagnostic port without Chrysler intervention. I have personally done this on other Chrysler vehicles, and it looks like I should be able to with my truck as well. I just bought it and haven't installed any options yet that I can turn on, but I will soon. I should have a new RA2 radio here next week and then I'll try to turn on the backup cam.

I was able to successfully turn off and back on the auto headlights, and I do have access to config flags for power fold, autodim, signal, and puddle for the mirrors, so I think it is very, very promising.

TW15TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
As soon as I can find a good deal on mirrors, I will know definitively if it is possible to enable the mirrors without the dealer. At this point I'm 99% sure it is.

There is a bunch of vehicle configuration parameters in the BCM that tell all the systems what options your truck has. These values get set at the factory when they download a config file based on what was installed. There is only one official way to change these parameters after manufacturing. The way it is done is by updating your vehicle in Chrysler's system with the new option codes. Once that's done, the dealer can use their scan tool to download an updated config file from the Chrysler server and into your truck. The dealer can add certain option codes to the server (like backup cam and remote start) but corporate restricts them. The other option codes can only be added by someone in corporate (generally engineering). Sometimes they will do this if a dealer calls, but most times they will not. It all depends on who is on the other end of the phone.

However, there does exist ways to modify the config parameters directly through the diagnostic port without Chrysler intervention. I have personally done this on other Chrysler vehicles, and it looks like I should be able to with my truck as well. I just bought it and haven't installed any options yet that I can turn on, but I will soon. I should have a new RA2 radio here next week and then I'll try to turn on the backup cam.

I was able to successfully turn off and back on the auto headlights, and I do have access to config flags for power fold, autodim, signal, and puddle for the mirrors, so I think it is very, very promising.
If you find a way to add the ability to do this with the OEM power folding tow mirrors, modules and oem switch you will be a hero. I would pay someone to do this. Maybe others would as well. That could pay for the mirrors for you.

I paid around $594 for my mirrors. They are sitting in my garage to be installed.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I picked up a window switch with mirror button and confirmed that the BCM is correctly receiving the button state when I press it.

My next step is to get a set of mirrors and door modules. I don't want tow mirrors, so I'm looking for a set of the smaller power fold ones (the wiring is all the same). My truck is my second/beater vehicle so I'm adding stuff on the cheap as I find bargains. So, it might be a little bit, but I'll definitely keep everyone in the loop.

The only problem with me programming the BCM manually is that everything will get overwritten with the config Chrysler has on record if a dealer ever does a flash. Ideally I'd come up with a small, cost effective programmer that a user could use to set certain options. That will definitely require some research, though.

TW15TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I picked up a window switch with mirror button and confirmed that the BCM is correctly receiving the button state when I press it.

My next step is to get a set of mirrors and door modules. I don't want tow mirrors, so I'm looking for a set of the smaller power fold ones (the wiring is all the same). My truck is my second/beater vehicle so I'm adding stuff on the cheap as I find bargains. So, it might be a little bit, but I'll definitely keep everyone in the loop.

The only problem with me programming the BCM manually is that everything will get overwritten with the config Chrysler has on record if a dealer ever does a flash. Ideally I'd come up with a small, cost effective programmer that a user could use to set certain options. That will definitely require some research, though.
I'm in for $200 for this solution if it gets worked out before I have someone install switches directly.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I will be monitoring this one closley. If you can figure out how to add some of the codes that Chrysler has restricted on our trucks it would be extremely benifecial. It seems almost to good to be true and honestly over most of our heads but I never thought anyone would be able to figure out how to use the factory bezel with the 8.4 but eventually Getupkid and some others were able to figure out a plug and play harness that they shared with all of us. Good luck we appreciate your efforts this would be huge for alot of us.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, I hit a bit of a snag today. I found all the parameters for the mirrors in the BCM and can read them, but I'm not able to change them. I suspect there were some slight changes to the format of some of the configurations in '13 (which my truck is) and my tools are out-of-date. Most of my experience has been with pre-Powernet architecture cars, so I still have some catching up to do.

I think I might be able to get what I need with some different tools, but I need to decide if it's worth investing in them. Right now I think I may wait until I get my mirrors and go at it another way.

The way the system works is the BCM gets a signal like the fold button was pushed or the signal light is on. Then, if it has been configured so it knows the truck has upgraded mirrors, it will send out a signal to the door module to fold the mirror or turn the signal light on. I can already detect when buttons are pushed and can command modules to do things, so rather than reprogramming the truck I may be able to make an add-on module that listens for events and signals the door module to do its thing.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I scored a great deal on a pair of mirrors today, so I should have them soon. I'll probably order modules soon too so everything will be all done hardware-wise. Then it's just a matter of figuring out why I can't adjust the settings I need to.

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribing.. My 14 Limited has tow option, I've replaced mirrors, switch, and door modules, and dealer just shrugs their shoulders because there is no LER code in my dropdown - and they refuse to contact anyone at FCA.
Another local dealer I asked said "why would we help you when you didn't buy it here"?

So.. it's ready for programming!

Prof

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Tradesman Crew Cab
Engine
3.6-LITER V6 24-VALVE VVT
Yeah, so I cracked one of my standard mirrors (the black housing) today backing out of the garage. There are no words in the English language to describe how pissed I was. My wife heard it and stuck her head into the garage to see what happened. She could tell by the look on my face and just went back inside. :banghead:

It's not easily noticeable but still ****** me off. I haven't even had the truck 2 months...

So.....I would be very interested in adding the folding mirrors, if this can be worked out.

Pace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I contacted the factory just incase they wanted to help out. LOL Joke right? Yes basically I got "sorry about your luck" If your truck did not come with power folding then you can never have power folding, cant be done according to them. When I asked about getting an engineer to do it, even told them I would drive to them. (Chrysler Canada Brampton Plant) they just repeated, sorry to hear you spent all that money on parts but there was nothing they could do to help me.
And you cant return electrical parts.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wouldn't have expected you to get very far by calling them. Been there, done that. I had a woman insist repeatedly that the reason my Sirius trial wasn't working was that my car didn't have the feature (this was a $57k 300 SRT).

Pace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is absolutely dumbfounding, so in this sort of situation a dealer has a new Ram on the lot and a buyer comes along and tells him I like the truck but I will only buy it if it had power folding mirrors. Now what? Dealers just shrug it off but they are loosing money when they cant change things for themselves or customers.
It is beyond stupidity that Chrysler did not allow for this sort of thing to happen. In years past dealers were adding and subtracting options all the time. I'm sure it is a simple fix to add it to the dealer's program to allow them in to make those changes.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It makes sense from FCA's perspective. If you want power folding mirrors, you need a sport or higher trim level or the luxury package on a Big Horn. It's not like you can go buy the same truck somewhere else with only the addition of power folding mirrors. So, they know you'll either buy the one without them or, hopefully, shell out the cash for a more expensive truck.

It also simplifies things from a manufacturing and testing standpoint when things are combined in packages.

Pace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It makes sense from FCA's perspective. If you want power folding mirrors, you need a sport or higher trim level or the luxury package on a Big Horn. It's not like you can go buy the same truck somewhere else with only the addition of power folding mirrors. So, they know you'll either buy the one without them or, hopefully, shell out the cash for a more expensive truck.

It also simplifies things from a manufacturing and testing standpoint when things are combined in packages.

Mine is a top of the line Longhorn, my build sheet even says standard equipment power folding mirrors but the guy who bought it opted for tow mirrors and never towed anything??? he had the truck a year and half and turned it in because he didnt need it and only put 11,000 miles on it so I grabbed it up. I thought no big deal I'll change it back to power folding mirrors. Been at the dealer twice bought everything they told me I needed and nothing, cant be done they tell me because it was changed to tow mirrors at the factory it can never have power folding.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Your dealers are just being pissy and lazy. My buddy added several options to his truck and had the sales codes added and the flash done. The parts manager called FCA engineering (they have a direct line), told him the upgrades being done and engineering amended the build specs for that VIN. My buddy then went to the service department and had the sales codes programmed in.

Most dealers don't want to do just the flashes, they want $100 or more per hour to do the installation of the parts and to charge 3X the amount of time it takes to actually install them.

TW15TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Your dealers are just being pissy and lazy. My buddy added several options to his truck and had the sales codes added and the flash done. The parts manager called FCA engineering (they have a direct line), told him the upgrades being done and engineering amended the build specs for that VIN. My buddy then went to the service department and had the sales codes programmed in.

Most dealers don't want to do just the flashes, they want $100 or more per hour to do the installation of the parts and to charge 3X the amount of time it takes to do actually install them.
I'll pay you $200 and the dealer $200 if you can add the appropriate codes to my VIN.

Pace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Most dealers don't want to do just the flashes, they want $100 or more per hour to do the installation of the parts and to charge 3X the amount of time it takes to actually install them.

What dealer did his? If you could give me the contact info I'll call and pay them to give me the info needed or pay them to speak to my dealer, the mechanic at my dealership is a great guy and he tried but just got nowhere. I know he'd try if someone gave him direction.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
What dealer did his? If you could give me the contact info I'll call and pay them to give me the info needed or pay them to speak to my dealer, the mechanic at my dealership is a great guy and he tried but just got nowhere. I know he'd try if someone gave him direction.

It is up to the parts manager to do the first step of contacting FCA engineering. Without an updated build spec showing the new parts, the flash is not possible. If he isn't willing to ( and they all DO know how and have the number for FCA) then short of involving the dealership owner nothing will get done. Like I said, it is the dealerships option if they want to bother with it, but they want the big labor bucks for actually installing the parts. They will not give you the number to contact FCA engineering yourself.

Perkins Dodge in Colorado Springs is who he used.