Power steering nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Blizzard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2007 dodge 2500 5.7 hemi truck. I am having issues losing my power steer pumps. Original went out month ago. I put two endurance brand pumps refurbished in it. One didn't last 24hrs and the other three weeks. Then I put in a new oil cooler and gear box and new duralast pump. New pump went bad the next day. I replaced one of the pressure hoses as well. Now I bought an original used pump to see if that made a difference and now it's starting to whine two days later. Nobody can figure out why I am going to through pumps. Any thoughts? I'm Losing my mind. Thanks.

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Two ideas; first - flush out the system. You may have crap in the recirculating ball portion that contaminates the fluid and wears out your pump (like liquid sand paper). second - ensure that you have no misalignment - look to see that your power steering pulley is directly in line with all of your other pulleys.

OP
OP
Ryan Blizzard

Ryan Blizzard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything looks aligned with pump. I started out with a whole new steering system. All new fluid.

OP
OP
Ryan Blizzard

Ryan Blizzard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just pulled this line off. Last official line in the system. Looks a little dry rotted. Put it all back together and pump stopped whining. Praying this was the cause.

16635.jpeg

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
The power steering system in the 3rd gen trucks is awful imo. Never had to deal with power steering issues until I bought my 3rd gen, and since haven't stopped dealing with them.

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The power steering system in the 3rd gen trucks is awful imo. Never had to deal with power steering issues until I bought my 3rd gen, and since haven't stopped dealing with them.

When my original pump went out it took me three tries to get a pump that actually was decent. First two were referbs that died quick. After the second one they have me a brand new one as a replacement. Never had a problem after that.

Kevs10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had lots of problems with my 04, hoses,leaks, pumps,etc
In the end i put synthetic power steering oil and all the problems stopped.

Forest Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I went thru a few pumps till I started using ATF4 instead of power steering fluid. Yep, Synthetic Transmission Fluid only. That was 2009 and still going strong with zero issues. As you might know, Dodge even put that stuff in the MANUAL trannys.

Bill Knight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2007 dodge 2500 5.7 hemi truck. I am having issues losing my power steer pumps. Original went out month ago. I put two endurance brand pumps refurbished in it. One didn't last 24hrs and the other three weeks. Then I put in a new oil cooler and gear box and new duralast pump. New pump went bad the next day. I replaced one of the pressure hoses as well. Now I bought an original used pump to see if that made a difference and now it's starting to whine two days later. Nobody can figure out why I am going to through pumps. Any thoughts? I'm Losing my mind. Thanks.

Bill Knight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dealt with a failed power steering pump awhile ago on my third gen Ram. I changed it and to this day I haven't any issues with it. Also I never change on again.... I would sooner change my spark plugs three times or do a fuel pump again before I venture into that again.

Stoch Hoskinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to agree, hard to remember a pump in a worse place to replace!! I bought mine on ebay from a junk yard, working fine so far!!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swear there is a poor design in the factory pumps that just aerates the hell out of the fluid.

I wish someone gave enough of a hoot in the aftermarket to redesign the pump or make a retrofit for a GM pump that actually works right. It's so darned frustrating having something as simple as a hydraulic pump not function correctly.

The shop that replaced my PS pump went through 2 remanufactured units, and then finally a new unit. I still am not happy. If the truck has sat for 3-4 days it starts up and is nice and quiet. But if I drive it around it gets noisy AF. I feel like I'm driving a '87 F250.

medicineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 and replaced the pump. It had a very slight whine, so my mechanic replaced fluid with synthetic and added about 2 ounces of Lucas engine oil treatment. No whines working perfect for over 2 years now. Truck had 166, 000 at change and now had 175,000.

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
222,000 miles and my factory pump just went (original)
My mechanic insists on me securing OEM parts on certain items. He installed a pump from the dealer and no problems at all 2 months later. After about 10 miles the air worked its way out of the system and it operates smooth and quiet.
He said absolutely no way he would put a rebuilt pump on my truck. Thankfully I have a great relationship with my mechanic. Oh, he also used synthetic fluid... Lucas oils I think.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So does anyone know if Lucas power steering conditioner/stop leak will cause a problem in these pumps? I do have a leaky seal(s) somewhere. My steering box is wet. I've used the Lucas conditioner in other cars with rack and pinion and it's a magic elixir. Leaks stop, noise goes away, but I've read here only a fool puts anything in besides the red auto trans/steering fluid in and that's what I already have in there.

The seeping is the only issue and I don't want to cause some other problem trying to fix it.

Wood13s

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram SXT
Engine
I have 2008 1500 Ram SXT and having power steering problems as well, d1-5.7 hemi and I can’t find the right pulley for the pump. The pump is an 20-1012. But a 300-314 pulley the bushing is 4000th of an inch out in diameter. Anyone know what the correct pulley part number is and where to find it. Called local dodge dealer said they can’t even order one. Any ideas or help would be great.

Southernilfarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
When my original pump blew at 105,000 miles, the rebuilt pumps from O'Reilly's didn't come with a pulley and specified removing/reusing the original pulley. After screwing up the first pump with the old pulley (it wouldn't press onto the shaft fully), I exchanged the pump for a "new" rebuilt unit and and purchased an aftermarket pulley. The pulley installed correctly and the pump went back on the truck. Used the specified Mopar ATF and it worked well. No whine and no leaks so far (3 years).