Power's budget audio build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rydn2lo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram Laramie
Engine
5.7 hemi
Need help I've install a aftermarket really in my 2010 Laramie cuz I don't the Alpine sound but I can turn on my climate controls I've check all my connections still nothing even put back the you connect UCONNECT RADIO! thinking was the problem but nothing can anyone Help?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That connector can be a pain in the ass. Push it in fully then slide the lock on. If that's not the problem you may have bigger issues.

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Need help I've install a aftermarket really in my 2010 Laramie cuz I don't the Alpine sound but I can turn on my climate controls I've check all my connections still nothing even put back the you connect UCONNECT RADIO! thinking was the problem but nothing can anyone Help?

That connector can be a pain in the ass. Push it in fully then slide the lock on. If that's not the problem you may have bigger issues.
Yeah, what Etroze said. The radio is not connected to the AC controls in the '10s. You must have a harness that is not plugged in quite right. Open her back up and check all your connections again.

MrAndrewArnold

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question. I removed the factory alpine sub, tapped my LOC to the speaker wire going to the old sub... Do you know which colors are positive / negative?

Or what speakers did you use to tap for the LOC?

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Last edited:

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I like what you have done but I like to listen to talk radio so I guess the stock radio audio system is what I will keep in my truck

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
That was an interesting thread to read. Thank you for taking the time to post it and for posting the photo's too!

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That was an interesting thread to read. Thank you for taking the time to post it and for posting the photo's too!
Thanks for taking the time to read it!! It was a fun project and still enjoying the fruits of my labor every time I go for a drive.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great thread to bring back from the dead!
@Power247 did you consider using the component tweeters in the headliner?
Haven’t heard of too many who have upgraded those.
Any success stories?!

Also curious if you disconnected the center speaker or left it stock?
I’m still trying to find someone in Canada to go halfers on a pair for that.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Great thread to bring back from the dead!
@Power247 did you consider using the component tweeters in the headliner?
Haven’t heard of too many who have upgraded those.
Any success stories?!

Also curious if you disconnected the center speaker or left it stock?
I’m still trying to find someone in Canada to go halfers on a pair for that.
I left the center speaker and the headliner speakers stock. The headliner speakers don't put out enough to make the upgrade noticable, especially after putting 2ways in the doors.

The only negative thing I've read concerning the center dash speaker was from guys that disconnected it trying to run with just the left and right ones.

Greg

OP
OP
Power247

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The big question is how do the amp and subs work off this signal? Are the low notes hit as well?!
I’m using the sub signal via net audio harness.
The amp I'm using is able to receive both 'low level' rca and 'high level' line inputs. To leverage the factory sub wiring I had to set the switch to HL1.

Greg

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
This week going to do more sound deadening and closed cell foam. I use 80mil butyl noico sound deadening and is pretty cheap and quality seems great. I get my closed cell foam from aliexpress and is less than $20 a box, so far only needed one box, but 2 would be perfect. I need some closed cell on the rear doors panel and going to do rear wall this week, install the infinity 1200w 12s and if I have time the 6.5s in front doors and possibly the tweeters from the components in the overhead.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This week going to do more sound deadening and closed cell foam. I use 80mil butyl noico sound deadening and is pretty cheap and quality seems great. I get my closed cell foam from aliexpress and is less than $20 a box, so far only needed one box, but 2 would be perfect. I need some closed cell on the rear doors panel and going to do rear wall this week, install the infinity 1200w 12s and if I have time the 6.5s in front doors and possibly the tweeters from the components in the overhead.
Pics would be great and videos even better!!!

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I put in the infinity kappa 1200w's today, they sound really good for a under $100 subwoofer. Sound much cleaner than the Pioneer champions I took out and don't have hard time with certain bass notes. I still need to clean up and cover the spacer with carpet or vinyl. Happy with the Kappas, more SQ sub than spl, but at 52, I enjoy good sound more than all out spl. The box I bought from a member here, was like $20 plus shipping and is fiberglass he made himself, super thick and strong. For super budget build, I think it sounds great. Now I just need to finish off the sound deadening, closed cell foam, add the 6.5s to front doors and possibly tweeter to overhead and I am done, all parts and supplies I have already. My total into this setup is pretty cheap, box under $200 shipped, can't remember exact number, may be $150. 2 12 inch Kappas 1200w $96 each. Rockville db14, 1000 watts cea rms, came with install kit, $135. Amp pro ch41, $135 open box, Gx302 for dash, $49, infinity 3022cfx for center, bought open box at Crutchfield and came with 1 set of harness, bought second set from them, total for the infinity open box pair and harnesses $50. Door harness $16 for 4. Jbl power series 6x9 2ohm 3 way open box on sonic electronics, $29. Sound deadening I bought 2 boxes at around $30 a box for noico and closed cell foam 2 boxes $20.

Screenshot_20190531_171107_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited:

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those infinity 3032cf are probably the best out there for dash on these trucks, but no longer made :/.
It looks like the 3032 is the newer version of the 3022. I’m not sure of the difference.
I’m getting close to getting the confidence to swap my rear door speakers. I have the speakers in my possession and 10’ of sound deadener. I just really don’t like peeling apart expensive things. I tend to F things up..

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
3032cf pretty sure Is old version, like 2+ years ago, the 3032cfx is newer. The cf claims 2ohm and cfx says 3 I think. But I tested the infinity 3022cfx and was 2.3ohm where it claimed 3. So all could be same ohm. Either way the output from 2-2.2 to 2.3ohm would probably be not enough to notice. Any of those are a good option. I put in the gx302s, listened to them for 3 months then put in the 3022cfx infinity, I couldn't tell any difference. I would say any 2-3ohm jbl or infinity should sound great, except I would avoid the really cheap jbls or infinity or might get harsh tweeter. The jbl Gx302 or infinity would be cheapest I would get. Even the jbl and infinity now look alike, only real difference is the jbl is a more orange color around tweeter and the infinity a burnt gold color. Hate how these companies add a letter and speaker is totally different, could think your getting 2 ohm and getting 4.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3032cf pretty sure Is old version, like 2+ years ago, the 3032cfx is newer. The cf claims 2ohm and cfx says 3 I think. But I tested the infinity 3022cfx and was 2.3ohm where it claimed 3. So all could be same ohm. Either way the output from 2-2.2 to 2.3ohm would probably be not enough to notice. Any of those are a good option. I put in the gx302s, listened to them for 3 months then put in the 3022cfx infinity, I couldn't tell any difference. I would say any 2-3ohm jbl or infinity should sound great, except I would avoid the really cheap jbls or infinity or might get harsh tweeter. The jbl Gx302 or infinity would be cheapest I would get. Even the jbl and infinity now look alike, only real difference is the jbl is a more orange color around tweeter and the infinity a burnt gold color. Hate how these companies add a letter and speaker is totally different, could think your getting 2 ohm and getting 4.
I hear ya! A small difference got me to order the wrong type s sub too. I think the crutchfield site said the the 3032cfx replaced the 3022cfx but now I’m just confused. I agree either of the two are solid speakers and anyone who has the stock 9 speaker alpine system should get them!