Pre-Lubing Hemi Engines after lack of use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Today I wanted to test Hemi engine pre-lube functionality without AlphaOBD or other tuning. It was mentioned elsewhere in the Forum. My truck has been sitting unused for weeks. I'd been riding along in other's vehicles instead.

This consists of depressing the gas pedal to the floor and holding there, depressing the brake pedal and holding per usual for starting, then pushing engine start button.

The engine does indeed crank over without starting! A couple of bursts of this will send oil up through this marginally-lubricated engine before starting. This is helpful for those of us that don't drive every day, or much at all for that matter.

A bit of a surprise was the engine kept cranking until you push the start button a 2nd time! Be carfeul not to fry the starter motor by cranking too long! I recall something like 20 second start burst and 20 second cooldowns are suitable for electric starter motors. I'd estimate 3 of these cycles will circulate enough oil around for starting 'wet'.

Just to be complete - the process ends when you release the gas pedal. Then the engine will start.

Owners that want to complete their lubrication upgrade can do so with appropriate tuner adjustment to increase engine idle from 650 rpm to 750 rpm, the standard idle rpm before U.S. EPA CAFE regulations came along.

Disclaimer - my truck is fourth generation (I think), 2017 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty with 6.4L Hemi Engine. I can't vouch for all model years and Hemi engines.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will have to try it, I am going to be using my truck in the next few weeks and it hasn't been started in months.
Generally I just start it and idle for a couple of minutes and slowly move for a few hundred feet.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will have to try it, I am going to be using my truck in the next few weeks and it hasn't been started in months.
Generally I just start it and idle for a couple of minutes and slowly move for a few hundred feet.
Gonna put a battery tender on it to bring the battery full up?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

If memory serves, starting motor spins engine ~ 200 rpm, so oil won't get to everywhere in the engine at this low of rpm, but it's better than instantly going to 650 idle rpm with combustion loads on a dry engine I would think.

A true pre-lube system has a separate oil pump that flows oil through the engine without turning the engine over. These are on very large, expensive engines.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 5.7 pretty much sat from Mar 17 2020 until September 2021.

It needed a jump, and the lifters ticked a little while, but went away after 10 seconds or so. Surprisingly it didn't have any issues, not even with gas sitting that long. I was impressed.

It then sat from October 2021 to May 2022.

Thanks for sharing.

I will give this a try as its been sitting now since June 19th 2022.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If memory serves, starting motor spins engine ~ 200 rpm, so oil won't get to everywhere in the engine at this low of rpm, but it's better than instantly going to 650 idle rpm with combustion loads on a dry engine I would think.

A true pre-lube system has a separate oil pump that flows oil through the engine without turning the engine over. These are on very large, expensive engines.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I should have known you'd know of an aftermarket kit!

Then again, it hasn't been a big enough issue for me personally until running into (1) retirement (2) 1st global pandemic in 100 years. Heck, we used to just fog our outboards, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. and call it good enough.

It's a bit more important on an 8 cylinder engine $9,000+ new! Thanks for the links. For me I think I'll just crank to pump for now - no plans to store the truck. Yet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I should have known you'd know of an aftermarket kit!

Then again, it hasn't been a big enough issue for me personally until running into (1) retirement (2) 1st global pandemic in 100 years. Heck, we used to just fog our outboards, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. and call it good enough.

It's a bit more important on an 8 cylinder engine $9,000+ new! Thanks for the links. For me I think I'll just crank to pump for now - no plans to store the truck. Yet.
I've kicked the idea of the Accusump around,but my cheap asss says no,as they're basically double the price up here by the time it's on your doorstep,lol

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I have one of these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-t40 think I paid $80 from advance auto online like 3 years ago. I use it to prelube a fresh rebuild or mildly taken apart engine when its been sitting a long time (def when I pull a crank driven oil pump). You can make one out of PVC caps and pipe an some fittings for cheap. Crank driven oil pumps need to spin pretty fast to get oil moving and priming them makes them work much better. The Preoiler above is done on a empty engine and I try to push a full fill through the engine but you need access or an oil passage port.

Cheapish one compared to $230+ https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/-p...-tw9F9jHpLNr3gyajxGaxyq74hwHxAlhoC83IQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have one of these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-t40 think I paid $80 from advance auto online like 3 years ago. I use it to prelube a fresh rebuild or mildly taken apart engine when its been sitting a long time (def when I pull a crank driven oil pump). You can make one out of PVC caps and pipe an some fittings for cheap. Crank driven oil pumps need to spin pretty fast to get oil moving and priming them makes them work much better. The Preoiler above is done on a empty engine and I try to push a full fill through the engine but you need access or an oil passage port.

Cheapish one compared to $230+ https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/-p...-tw9F9jHpLNr3gyajxGaxyq74hwHxAlhoC83IQAvD_BwE

Nice idea.

Being frugal and needing for in-use engines with lack of use, I'm sticking with the shutdown @ above idle rpm and start up with extended cranking.

Adding a pre-luber is cool, but pricey for a consumer engine. Not so much for a $150,000 diesel engine for commercial use!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think most newer models these days will not start if you hold the pedal to the metal, thou I haven’t tried most brands

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think most newer models these days will not start if you hold the pedal to the metal, thou I haven’t tried most brands

Anyone out there with the latest Ram generation V, model year 2018+ that will try this and report back?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
This really should be stickied!! This process is so valuable to the engine. More people should know it.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
This really should be stickied!! This process is so valuable to the engine. More people should know it.

And cheaper than adding a stand alone pre luber system, installing hellcat oil pump, adding a tuner to increase idle rpm, or pulling ignition fuse in and out.

Shut off above 1,000 rpm, and pre lube by cranking without starting.

Maybe it's the cheap engineer and decrepit body in me. Ask a moderator if you want a sticky note.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And cheaper than adding a stand alone pre luber system, installing hellcat oil pump, adding a tuner to increase idle rpm, or pulling ignition fuse in and out.

Shut off above 1,000 rpm, and pre lube by cranking without starting.

Maybe it's the cheap engineer and decrepit body in me. Ask a moderator if you want a sticky note.
Since my truck may sit for days, I always hit the skinny pedal, rev up and shut down motor. AS far as hold pedal to floor and turn over, ahhhhh, I got push button, not know if I feel safe doing that (DT truck-5th Gen).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you talk to alot of engine builders,they don't reconmend using the clear flood mode to pre-lube an engine,most will tell you,you're better off letting the engine instantly start as it'll build oil pressure quicker to the rods and mains.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you talk to alot of engine builders,they don't reconmend using the clear flood mode to pre-lube an engine,most will tell you,you're better off letting the engine instantly start as it'll build oil pressure quicker to the rods and mains.
BOIRD like this idea more better, hee hee.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Since my truck may sit for days, I always hit the skinny pedal, rev up and shut down motor. AS far as hold pedal to floor and turn over, ahhhhh, I got push button, not know if I feel safe doing that (DT truck-5th Gen).

Hey, you could be our 1st 5 Gen experimenter!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963