Puck to shark fin upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am upgrading to the 8.4 and I have the puc already. I know I don't have to upgrade to the fin, but has anyone seen any posts of people doing it? I have been looking and seen a couple people that did it, but they don't say if the u connect stuff actually works. The best post I found said that you had to go through like the FCA or something. I found all the parts to run it, but if I can't active the cellular features...not sure in the point.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are a few threads on this. Depending on location I have read there are different curvatures. Not sure about activating cellular if vehicle did not already come with it. I hope to learn more on that here. Good luck.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Basically there's no point .. if your truck didn't come from the factory with an 8.4 radio, FCA/Stellantis will not let you on their network for the uConnect remote app features. I've heard one or two reports of people supposedly getting it activated though WiC (Warranty Info Center), but it wasn't confirmed/replicated/verified as more than boasting by anyone else.

M² Mods.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Go to the website called

https://www.infotainment.com/
&
https://www.crutchfield.com

Many companies make interfaces to adapt electronics to work in almost all FCA products

There is almost nothing electronic that can't be changed on Rams at least up to the Gen 5 models

The radios are not a FCA/Stellantis part

Companies like harman kardon & panasonic supply them

RA1 & RA2 radios are made by CONTI

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Puck type antenna came before the shark fin

Back when i still had my 2009 Ram, i had the OEM Puck type antenna on the roof, there was also a OEM GPS antenna mounted just over the radio, but under the dash board
That 2009 was completely stock as it came from the factory, as far as electronic equipment goes

That truck had AM/FM/Satellite radio, 8.4 Navigation radio & of course i could use my cell phone to make & receive calls

The shark fin antenna incorporates the 2 antennas, so that the Rams now just have 1 shark fin antenna

I believe that Ram trucks made for use in Canada, still only come with a Puck Type antenna, because FCA & Chrysler before them could not make a deal for Satellite service in Canada

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Puck type antenna came before the shark fin

Back when i still had my 2009 Ram, i had the OEM Puck type antenna on the roof, there was also a OEM GPS antenna mounted just over the radio, but under the dash board
That 2009 was completely stock as it came from the factory, as far as electronic equipment goes

That truck had AM/FM/Satellite radio, 8.4 Navigation radio & of course i could use my cell phone to make & receive calls

The shark fin antenna incorporates the 2 antennas, so that the Rams now just have 1 shark fin antenna

I believe that Ram trucks made for use in Canada, still only come with a Puck Type antenna, because FCA & Chrysler before them could not make a deal for Satellite service in Canada
My 19 Classic has a shark fin up by the windshield .One of these days I'm gonna break it or cause it to leak hitting it with the snow brush.My 15 SLT with the same 8.4 and no GPS on either had the flat puck at the back.I liked it much better.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just like @Mpgrimm2 stated, changing from a puck to a fin will not add Uconnect to your 8.4. It is married to the vin, not the radio and for right now FCA won't allow changing vin's, that's just the way it is. The only difference besides the physical style of the 2 antennas is the fin has an additional lead that connects to the radio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerrad Roberts
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Got it. So it seems like it is pointless to upgrade it. On to my next upgrade project.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it. So it seems like it is pointless to upgrade it. On to my next upgrade project.

Or if you like the looks and want to flex on guys driving around with 5.0 radios and puck antennas haha