pulsating idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys, I have an 18 1500 sport. Its all stock and when its fully warmed up it seems to puke while idling. Its like it revs up and down up and down. Has anybody else had this same issue or know what it could be before I take it into the dealer? Thanks in advance

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi guys, I have an 18 1500 sport. Its all stock and when its fully warmed up it seems to puke while idling. Its like it revs up and down up and down. Has anybody else had this same issue or know what it could be before I take it into the dealer? Thanks in advance

Hi Brad87,

Sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing! Please know that our team is just a private message away if you do work with your dealer and we are more than happy to provide you with additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are you saying the idle is surging up and down, like 750rpm to 1500rpm and then up and down?

Surging can be caused by several things. One is a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak allows unmetered air to enter the motor so it creates a lean condition. When the oxygen sensors detect the lean condition the PCM starts to add fuel to match the air coming in and it will start to surge. There are other things that can cause it. It's time to have a scan tool connected for some diagnostics. If you are under the 3/36 basic warranty with a 2018 model I'd say hit the local dealership.

OP
OP
Brad87

Brad87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, no that high in rpms. I do have a flowmaster outlaw direct fit muffler on it. And since its such a loud muffler I can hear the rev up and down quite clear. It doesn't do it all of the time though. Weird I know. It does sound like its going up and down in revs but really low.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No, no that high in rpms. I do have a flowmaster outlaw direct fit muffler on it. And since its such a loud muffler I can hear the rev up and down quite clear. It doesn't do it all of the time though. Weird I know. It does sound like its going up and down in revs but really low.
How many miles are on the truck now? Has this truck ever has any engine repairs performed? What maintenance has been performed on the truck since you have owned it?

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Mine does that it’s normal sounds like a lope I guess the factory cam has a little bump to it- sounds good to me

duhdonutman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm having the same issue. Normally only happens at idle, and have recently noticed it in first and reverse. At first it felt like a misfire, but my truck has less than 5000 miles on it. It results in an actual jerk which has concerned me that if I'm not careful I'll tap another car.