PW Locker Problem Data Compilation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm a data guy IRL (application developer/DBA). There have been a number of posts regarding axle locker issues so I figured I'd do a little charting to give some perspective of the issue.

I'll update the second post with the data as it accrues. For now, please post up your status - whether you have a problem or not! We want both the good and the bad for this to be a representative sample. Though, it will never be statistically accurate as this user base is canted; we have both enthusiasts and those coming here specifically looking for a solution to a problem. So this data will likely read high compared to the actual rate in the wild.

These are the minimum fields I'd like to collect. I'm completely open to add others. And the analytic fields will definitely be expanded as the dataset grows. This just a sample and will be revised.

upload_2021-1-26_20-32-48.png

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Reserved for data charting.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think this is a great idea! Of course, I am not the one doing the work, I am just an interested, potential Power Wagon buyer.

I think you could add a column for Rebel/ Power Wagon/ Anything-else-that-uses-electronic-lockers. Also, a column for recurrence since i have read a couple of people saying "it's fixed!" only to update their post a few months later saying "It threw an error again".

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Reserved for data charting.
At 3000 miles on the 2020 odometer, the locking function has been getting better with use. The rear axle is nearly immediate and the front is improving with small "wiggle" turns. No error messages yet.

Last edited:

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Yeah.. so this is your time, so you can obviously do as you please. But i dont think there are that many issues with the rear locking system. you will hear about them on this site because thats what most people do.. Sign up to a forum to complain about issues, or ask for advice to fix said issue.

Isnt this same system used across the board for FCA products? including the rubicons?

Anyway.

2020 PW, right at 24,000 miles. No issues whatsoever.

Keep your fluid, and magnets clean. USE your lockers. best way to keep things operational IMO

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah.. so this is your time, so you can obviously do as you please. But i dont think there are that many issues with the rear locking system. you will hear about them on this site because thats what most people do.. Sign up to a forum to complain about issues, or ask for advice to fix said issue.

Isnt this same system used across the board for FCA products? including the rubicons?

Anyway.

2020 PW, right at 24,000 miles. No issues whatsoever.

Keep your fluid, and magnets clean. USE your lockers. best way to keep things operational IMO
The jeep system is made by dana corp, the ram by american axle manufacturing.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 6000 miles no issues but have only engaged them a handful of times.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
2019 34,*** miles. No issues with engaging lockers, issues with blinking "Axle Unlock" light in cold weather conditions in both 2WD & 4WD when lockers are unlocked. Serviced both front & rear diffs at 30,000 miles & cleaned magnets as it was believed this would remedy the issue, however it did not.

Dealer trip likely.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
As my other post notes, 2021 75A with service lockers starting at 250 miles. At dealership now for diagnoses.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
The jeep system is made by dana corp, the ram by american axle manufacturing.
Thanks for confirming this. I was under the assumption the electronics would be the same

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 3,800 miles lockers work as designed. Used front and rear several times....now if my fancy 12" radio screen would just stop locking up...but that's a story for another thread.

jmt82331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2020 3,000 miles. Have used lockers multiple times with no issues. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
2019 34,*** miles. No issues with engaging lockers, issues with blinking "Axle Unlock" light in cold weather conditions in both 2WD & 4WD when lockers are unlocked. Serviced both front & rear diffs at 30,000 miles & cleaned magnets as it was believed this would remedy the issue, however it did not.

Dealer trip likely.

As my other post notes, 2021 75A with service lockers starting at 250 miles. At dealership now for diagnoses.

Hi guys!

I saw that you may be working with your Ram dealers to get your concerns properly diagnosed and addressed. Please feel free to keep us updated on your progress and do not hesitate to reach out if you need additional support while working alongside your dealer. Thanks a ton!

Courtney
Ram Cares

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hi guys!

I saw that you are both working with your Ram dealers to get your concerns properly diagnosed and addressed. Please feel free to keep us updated on your progress and do not hesitate to reach out if you need additional support while working alongside your dealer. Thanks a ton!

Courtney
Ram Cares
Appreciate you reaching out, and will definitely keep you posted on the situation.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
2020 3,800 miles lockers work as designed. Used front and rear several times....now if my fancy 12" radio screen would just stop locking up...but that's a story for another thread.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
Ram Cares

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018, 19,000+miles! Some “slow to engage” instances, but haven’t failed yet! Not a lot of usage, but I do “exercise” them every so often!

Preparing to service the differentials soon!