Question: Mirrors to fold when truck is shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone:

There is a button on the driver's door to fold the side mirrors, I am wanting to make it fold when I shut off the engine, thinking to add a relay and have it connected to that button.

Anyone has done that? any advice or suggestion is highly appreciated.

My truck is 2018 Ram 1500 5.7

Thank you,
Yazen

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Relay(s) won't work . It's not a direct electrical connection, the door modules are on the can bus and respond to messages to fold or unfold the mirrors.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It could be possible to use a relay, but it would need to pulse when the truck turns off(and on if you want them to open back up). The contacts of the relay would need to jump the switch on the door but that is part of a circuit board so it's not the easiest thing to make happen.
If you want your mirrors to fold/open with the truck, look at buy a Tazer for your Ram
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-ram/
It's one of the live functions along with a quite a few others, including line lock, light show, in-motion navigation, windows from keyfob, etc

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of discussion on this subject was captured in the 4th Gen DIY section under the Alfa OBD thread.

OP
OP
Yazen

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be possible to use a relay, but it would need to pulse when the truck turns off(and on if you want them to open back up). The contacts of the relay would need to jump the switch on the door but that is part of a circuit board so it's not the easiest thing to make happen.
If you want your mirrors to fold/open with the truck, look at buy a Tazer for your Ram
It's one of the live functions along with a quite a few others, including line lock, light show, in-motion navigation, windows from keyfob, etc

Thank you, I just bought one! Hope it can do what I wanted to achieve. Thank you

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thank you, I just bought one! Hope it can do what I wanted to achieve. Thank you

It's on the feature list for the Tazer, just be aware that you need to leave the Tazer attached all of the time in order for it to do the mirror auto-fold.

-K

OP
OP
Yazen

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's on the feature list for the Tazer, just be aware that you need to leave the Tazer attached all of the time in order for it to do the mirror auto-fold.

-K
I will have it installed next week, will keep you posted. Any tips for the install?

Thank you,
Yazen

OP
OP
Yazen

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I removed the radio and the security device to install the security bypass, but the two plugs do not plug anywhere in the bypass, I am not sure what am i missing here. Can you please assist me with this? see pictures of the bypass module, where should I plug those 5 plugs?

Thank you

20200728_151933.jpg

View attachment 216969

20200728_151912.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I removed the radio and the security device to install the security bypass, but the two plugs do not plug anywhere in the bypass, I am not sure what am i missing here. Can you please assist me with this? see pictures of the bypass module, where should I plug those 5 plugs?

Thank you

View attachment 216968

View attachment 216969

View attachment 216970
That is not the type of bypass that REPLACES the security gateway module behind the radio. That is the type that bypasses the SGM by plugging into the OBD port. The yellow arrow plugs into your current OBD port. You’ll unclip your current OBD port and replace it with the green arrow connector. The green arrow connector will now serve as the regular non-bypassed OBD port, and a dealer can plug into it and his tool will work. The red arrow connector is the bypassed OBD port, and the one you will plug the device into, and you can tuck it out of the way. If you look up above the brake pedal, you’ll see two junction blocks with a bunch of those same white and green connectors plugged into them. Just find an empty spot on the respective white and green connector blocks and plug the new ones in. y84SW6S.jpg

OP
OP
Yazen

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is not the type of bypass that REPLACES the security gateway module behind the radio. That is the type that bypasses the SGM by plugging into the OBD port. The yellow arrow plugs into your current OBD port. You’ll unclip your current OBD port and replace it with the green arrow connector. The green arrow connector will now serve as the regular non-bypassed OBD port, and a dealer can plug into it and his tool will work. The red arrow connector is the bypassed OBD port, and the one you will plug the device into, and you can tuck it out of the way. If you look up above the brake pedal, you’ll see two junction blocks with a bunch of those same white and green connectors plugged into them. Just find an empty spot on the respective white and green connector blocks and plug the new ones in. y84SW6S.jpg
Thank you for the quick response. So to make sure I understand the whole process, I still need to disconnect the security device from behind the radio, right? And nothing connects to the wires?

2) the harness i have is just to so Tazer can be plugged in all the time and won't use the current OBD port, right?

I am a little confused, the instructions says to plug into the connectors of the security device behind the radio:

https://zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/RAMGCSCWBypass.pdf

But I received the harness and Tazer Ram OBD, am I missing something?

Thank you,
Yazen

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you for the quick response. So to make sure I understand the whole process, I still need to disconnect the security device from behind the radio, right? And nothing connects to the wires?

2) the harness i have is just to so Tazer can be plugged in all the time and won't use the current OBD port, right?

I am a little confused, the instructions says to plug into the connectors of the security device behind the radio:

https://zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/RAMGCSCWBypass.pdf

But I received the harness and Tazer Ram OBD, am I missing something?

Thank you,
Yazen
No, do not unplug the security gateway from behind the radio. For whatever reason, they did not send you the type of bypass that those instructions are for, but what they sent you will work just the same. It is designed so you can leave the tazer plugged in out of sight, and still have an open, unbypassed OBD port in the factory location.

OP
OP
Yazen

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, do not unplug the security gateway from behind the radio. For whatever reason, they did not send you the type of bypass that those instructions are for, but what they sent you will work just the same. It is designed so you can leave the tazer plugged in out of sight, and still have an open, unbypassed OBD port in the factory location.

But I thought 2018 ram has a security feature that does not let users make changes in the settings without a security bypass.. Are you saying I can still make changes without the bypass?

Also, how to set mirror folding with tazer? i dont see such option in the software?

Thank you once again,
Yazen

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But I thought 2018 ram has a security feature that does not let users make changes in the settings without a security bypass.. Are you saying I can still make changes without the bypass?

Also, how to set mirror folding with tazer? i dont see such option in the software?

Thank you once again,
Yazen
That contraption they sent you IS a security gateway bypass. It just does it in a different method than the one that replaces the actual security module.
I’ve never used a tazer before, so I wouldn’t know about the settings.

OP
OP
Yazen

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That contraption they sent you IS a security gateway bypass. It just does it in a different method than the one that replaces the actual security module.
I’ve never used a tazer before, so I wouldn’t know about the settings.
Oh I see, thank you very much for all your help. I will install it and see how things go.

Thank you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OP
OP
Yazen

Yazen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck doesn't have any white junction block! Is that even possible? I really looked but couldn't find one. Am I missing something? I will look again tomorrow morning but thought I'd ask here for guidance.

Thank you