Questions for Those Who Have Done Folding Back Seat Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickoSauve52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I went with option #2 and used a hacksaw and cut off a little more than the approximate 5/8" from the metal hooks on the back of the seat back.

now it won’t stay up. How or where can I buy replacement hooks and what are they called. Perhaps someone has a part number.

akordboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Contact Benny at AllMoparParts...he should be able to help

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with option #2 and used a hacksaw and cut off a little more than the approximate 5/8" from the metal hooks on the back of the seat back.

now it won’t stay up. How or where can I buy replacement hooks and what are they called. Perhaps someone has a part number.

Does it not catch at all?
I cut the hooks on mine, and I have to have the seat bottom in just the right position(roughly at a 45 degree angle) to get it to both catch and release.

Have you tried pushing the seat back, back, while lifting the bottom up? When the bottom gets to the right position, the back should move back a bit more and drop over the catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
followup to the post above. I went out at lunch and got some video of folding down the seat back.

The seat back only comes loose when the bottom is in just the right position. Also, while filming this, I did discover one possible issue. If you push too firmly on the seat back, the plastic (I point to them at the end of the video) glides can get caught on the catch, and get pulled down past the cut end of the hooks. If this happens, the hooks will not catch on the loops.

RickoSauve52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
muddy12

I tried. I cut just below the plastic retainer. I can feel the hook about a 1/4" or so at it's highest point before it goes back down (preferably into the latch mounted to the wall). I'm afraid to cut anymore. I want to somehow get it working then just use spacers which I should have used from the get go.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It will be time consuming, but here’s an idea.
Get some washers, and add one or two at a time, under the seat brackets, then test to see if the seat back will catch/release.
Keep adding washers until it works, then you can measure the washers to see how much needs trimmed off of the hooks, or how thick of a spacer you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Did you ever get a solution to this? I cut mine down a little more than I should have. It works, they just release a lot sooner than I feel they should. Are the hooks part of the back of the seat frame, or replaceable separately?

FlatBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just cut the latches at 5/8" with a hacksaw (where the plastic retainer stops). Works perfectly. This is a great mod! Took about 30 min being careful to contain metal/plastic shavings. (2019 1500 Classic Crew Cab)

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I am about to replace those vents and do the seat mod, do you know if it’s simple to take that cover off behind the seats to get to the vents?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm sure the components are strong enough not to warrant my concerns but, I went with the cutting method
concerns:
1) raising the seat with longer bolts makes it like putting 4" spacers on hubs and the stress put in the holding devices( yeah over exaggeration)
2) raising the seat also places the hoop away from the strongest part of the hook (the u at top)

With the scrub board dirt roads here, I stopped replacing the plastic "silencer". It was even broken when I started the mod.

1707007679032.png

Last edited:

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Quick and easy. Just did this to both rear seats and have easy access.

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just completed this today also. Cut the bracket to make work.