Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
What’s guys ok so I just replaced my steering gear on my 99 1500 right and no I didn’t go with the readhead bc I couldn’t afford it. But anyways. This steering box does good as far as steering but it easy to steering I could be driving down the road and steer it with one finger but it almost seems to easy to steer idk if it’s just where I ain’t use to it or what but I know that I can turn the truck in a parking lot and usually on an truck and or car the wheel returns see now this one I have to help to return. Does this sound like an out of adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Could be out of adjustment, but if its new and has warranty, goes down the road straight with no play, I wouldnt mess with it.

Try slowly rolling and see if it returns to straight.

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Could be out of adjustment, but if its new and has warranty, goes down the road straight with no play, I wouldnt mess with it.

Try slowly rolling and see if it returns to straight.

Well I tried it slowly rolling it will come back but it slowly comes back

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I personally wouldnt mess with it, unless a more serious problem occurs. I do know over the years I've heard about bad steering boxes from the reman parts stores, but never replaced or swapped one myself. Keep us posted!

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a bad box. I have read somewhere,probably on this forum that overtightning of adjustment will keep the steering from returning

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Sounds like a bad box. I have read somewhere,probably on this forum that overtightning of adjustment will keep the steering from returning

Well sure would nice if I had the money for a new redhead but I ain’t that fortunate lol. This the second box so far. I may just have them get me another one and go from there or I could loosen it and see if that does anything

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Wow....just f'n wow!

So you must be a glutton for punishment or....

you go on here asking for advice you never follow.

3 steering boxes in...3 weeks Am I reading that right? I suggested re-sealing your old gear box for a reason.

First of all, your steering's inability to return to center is based on a couple of other factors, caster and toe in. An older, looser steering box may slop it's way over, but mal adjusted components will mess with a tighter one. In time it will wear in, and the worm gear shaft wears out the hole machined into the casting body.

SO...do not adjust the box. Let me repeat...don't touch the adjustment on the box! This is a factory setting and should only be done on a fixture with the proper gauges and tools. It's not there for do it your selfers to toy with. Unless...you're simply stupid. Yeah, I went there. Sometimes people had to do that with me. At least someone has the cajones' to be a bit harsh.

The rest of you...save your money. Spend a weekend without beer, crack, and hookers and buy a redhead steering box. There's always a way to get what you need, my truck is livin' proof.

We'll speak of this no more. Good luck!

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Wow....just f'n wow!

So you must be a glutton for punishment or....

you go on here asking for advice you never follow.

3 steering boxes in...3 weeks Am I reading that right? I suggested re-sealing your old gear box for a reason.

First of all, your steering's inability to return to center is based on a couple of other factors, caster and toe in. An older, looser steering box may slop it's way over, but mal adjusted components will mess with a tighter one. In time it will wear in, and the worm gear shaft wears out the hole machined into the casting body.

SO...do not adjust the box. Let me repeat...don't touch the adjustment on the box! This is a factory setting and should only be done on a fixture with the proper gauges and tools. It's not there for do it your selfers to toy with. Unless...you're simply stupid. Yeah, I went there. Sometimes people had to do that with me. At least someone has the cajones' to be a bit harsh.

The rest of you...save your money. Spend a weekend without beer, crack, and hookers and buy a redhead steering box. There's always a way to get what you need, my truck is livin' proof.

We'll speak of this no more. Good luck!

Ok? Well there is no need to be a douche about **** man. I understand what ur saying but I’m not stupid. Not everyone is made of money on here and can’t throw 600 on a redhead box a one time. Some of us have to make do with what we have.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if OP were to address the other front-end components, would that not fix his steering issues? To that end, if he does have other problems in relation to his steering, what good would it do to purchase a higher quality steering box without addressing those as well? It kind of goes along the old saying of putting pearl earrings on a pig, or something like that.

I had a guy fiddle with my steering box a couple years back, which didn't really do anything in regards to my sloppy steering. I installed a steering brace, which I still have, and it firmed things up rather nicely. Now, I'm honestly not even sure just what "proper" steering is supposed to be in our trucks. My truck has probably the "heaviest" steering feel of anything that I've ever driven but it's never struck me as being "bad." The box doesn't leak fluid and I've never felt that my truck was going to just randomly launch off the frigging road, even at 80+ MPH, so I've never given the steering box much regard.