RAM 1500 fluid maintenance Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 with 62k miles, looking to change my fluids, but the stupid manual doesn't list quantities ??? lol

How much quarts do i need to change my front diff ?, rear diff and tcase ? how about the transmission ?

I've gathered the following from the manual:

Front diff: 75W85 Synthetic, quantity needed ?
Rear diff: 75w140 Synthetic for limited slip, though pretty much any synthetic fluid will have FM already, quantity needed ?
Transfer case, i have the BW 44-45, so ATF4 is good ?, quantity needed ?
6 speed trans, ATF4, quantity needed ?
Also, can somebody post the part#'s for the 2 filters inside the trans ?

Also, the manuals calls for 120k miles intervals for this diff/tcase and trans if not using the truck as Taxy,towing etc, isn't that a little too much ? damn.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You’ll need 3 for the rear, 2 for the front, 2 for the t-case. They’re all fill till it comes out the fill hole.

T-case takes the special BW fluid, it looks like ATF4 but who knows.

For the trans you shouldn’t need anymore than 8L. How much it takes depends how long you let it drain. Start with about 5-6L and go from there.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You’ll need 3 for the rear, 2 for the front, 2 for the t-case. They’re all fill till it comes out the fill hole.

T-case takes the special BW fluid, it looks like ATF4 but who knows.

For the trans you shouldn’t need anymore than 8L. How much it takes depends how long you let it drain. Start with about 5-6L and go from there.

From what I've gathered doing research on the 44-44 fluid it's basically a friction modified Dex III. I really do wish we could some concrete specs on it, but mines been running fine and seems to work better with Redline C+ in it (Their ATF+4). I've heard of guys running Mopar ATF+4 in them to the same effect. I also imagine any good Synthetic Dex III and not a Dex VI, such as Redline D4 or High Temp, with Lubeguard platinum (For the friction modification) would also work reasonably well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One has to wonder if the BW 44-44 fluid is specified for the 44-45 transfer case just so there isn't confusion with the type of fluid required between the two. From what I've heard the BW 44-44 fluid isn't cheap and there no clutches in the 44-45 to warrant a special fluid.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I ran Valvoline Transfer case fluid in my BW 44-45 2015 RAM with no issue. Basically is a juiced up DEX III fluid from what I gather.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up doing the work today, easy peasy as i didn't take the differentials covers off, nothing bad came out of the old diff juice so i did a drain and refill on both differentials.

For the front diff i went with Valvoline SynPower 75w90, bought 2 bottles, used around 1.5quarts, used a 8mm hex bit socket to manipulate the drain/fill plugs, used a fluid pump to do the job, super easy

For the transfer case i went with STP ATF-4 (I have the BW 44-45), bought 2 bottles, used around 1.5 quarts or a little more, used a small 3/8 extension to manipulate the drain/fill plugs, used a fluid pump to do the job, very easy

For the rear diff i went with Valvoline SynPower 75w140, bought 3 bottles, used around 2.5quarts, used a 14mm hex bit socket to manipulate the drain plug, the fill plug is a damn rubber plug, lol, it seems to do the job but i wonder how that sucker will do if i needed to cross a deep water creek..., not that i'm wanting to use the truck as a submarine hahaha, also because the fill port is so big, i didn't have to use the fluid pump, just dumped the fluid straight from the bottle until the whole squirted some juice :), super easy.

Couple of hours job and a couple of Jonnny Walker black on the rocks, around $70 total in oil.

Now i need to research what i'm going to do with the trans, let the dealer do a flush, or get all the filters/gaskets etc, and do a drain and refill, I have 64k miles, so i have some time to decide

Thanks one more time fellas.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Not a trans expert but what I've gathered over the years is drain and fill is the safest route to go so that's what I stick with.

I'm stuck with the 44 tcase. It uses friction plates to engage the front wheels and that's the reason for the special oil, from my understanding anyway. So it doesn't have a "true" lock engagement which sucks :(

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Your not really stuck with the 44-44 transfer case, it's possible to swap in a 44-45 :
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/successful-bw-44-44-to-bw-44-45-swap.132570/
I guess I shouldnt say "stuck". While I dont like the lack "true" lock, I do love the "4 Auto" feature. the fluid thing is my biggest issue. There's no Mopar equivalent that's being claimed by other brands so I'm "stuck" using mopar's over priced oil. Some people are trying different products but I'm to paranoid

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I shouldnt say "stuck". While I dont like the lack "true" lock, I do love the "4 Auto" feature. the fluid thing is my biggest issue. There's no Mopar equivalent that's being claimed by other brands so I'm "stuck" using mopar's over priced oil. Some people are trying different products but I'm to paranoid

From all the reading i did regarding this topic, i saw a post or couple in this forum that indicated the bw 44-44 fluid was basically Dexron III, but i haven't seen any other data from actual oil manufacturers to suggest that, so i'd prob use the Mopar fluid if i had the 44-44 as well. Little more expensive but what the heck, it's more expensive to change the motor oil if you're using the expensive oils, and you have to do that more often than your diffs.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
From all the reading i did regarding this topic, i saw a post or couple in this forum that indicated the bw 44-44 fluid was basically Dexron III, but i haven't seen any other data from actual oil manufacturers to suggest that, so i'd prob use the Mopar fluid if i had the 44-44 as well. Little more expensive but what the heck, it's more expensive to change the motor oil if you're using the expensive oils, and you have to do that more often than your diffs.
Exactly my thought. I'm to poor to be experimenting unless I get the go ahead from a manufacturer