ram 1500 tow rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirttracker30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a decal on my 2016 Ram that tells its tow rating as set up with the gearing etc out of factory? Also does going to a lower rear gear increase your listed tow rating? Thanks ...rookie poster

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to ramtrucks.com look around it will show what all the ratings are for engines and gearing

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you need more specific information on your truck, go to

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPDF.do?vin=***

and put your VIN in place of the *** at the end to get a PDF copy of your factory window sticker.

OP
OP
D

Dirttracker30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you need more specific information on your truck, go to

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPDF.do?vin=***

and put your VIN in place of the *** at the end to get a PDF copy of your factory window sticker.
Could not get this link to work

OP
OP
D

Dirttracker30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found a chart ,and with my quad cab 4x4,8 speed ,and 3.21 gears ,it looks like 8050 approx. if I buy a camper that I’ve been looking at (7000) ,I’ll have to have 3.92 (10000) gears put in I guess........or go to a 2500

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a chart ,and with my quad cab 4x4,8 speed ,and 3.21 gears ,it looks like 8050 approx. if I buy a camper that I’ve been looking at (7000) ,I’ll have to have 3.92 (10000) gears put in I guess........or go to a 2500
You cant just change gears. You have to do both sets front and rear since you have a 4x4. The fronts arent easy or cheap.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also worth noting, simply changing the gears, or any other suspension upgrades for that matter, will NOT change your trucks legal tow rating.

For example, you could put the springs and axles from a 3500 under your truck, and your legal tow rating will still be the same 8500# that it left the factory with.

Basically means if you are ever in an accident, and you are over your legal weight, in the eyes of insurance company and lawyers, you’d be screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You will be ok with 3.21. My buddy has the same truck and gears as you and pulls 6500lbs with ease.

I used to have a ‘13 1500 with 3.55 that pulled 7500lbs with out issue.

You won’t be a ball of fire on the hills but it will get the job done.

There will always be weight police on the internet say what if the police or insurance company find out.

Your truck still has the same brakes and suspension as any other half ton.

So from a safety stand point your fine.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been watching a guy on Youtube called BTBRV. He lives in the 1ton tow world, but he's got some sound logic for 1/2 tons. Basically he caps the weight at 6000GVWR and length at 26ft including the hitch triangle, regardless of truck capable numbers. (Ford and their 12000#). his numbers are conservative but it does make for a very relaxing drive. Most of the time you won't even notice the trailer is back there

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There will always be weight police on the internet say what if the police or insurance company find out. .............

I wasn’t trying to be the “weight police” by any stretch. I have “towed heavy” a few times with my 1500, and have had no problems, even with my lift and 35”tires. I just feel that anyone looking to tow something that is at or above the rating of their 1500 should have as much info as possible.
Guess my caution just comes from seeing too many people throw air bags or helper springs on their 1/2ton trucks, and then try to use it like a 3/4 or 1 ton and then wonder why their wheel bearings failed or the axle bent.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn’t trying to be the “weight police” by any stretch. I have “towed heavy” a few times with my 1500, and have had no problems, even with my lift and 35”tires. I just feel that anyone looking to tow something that is at or above the rating of their 1500 should have as much info as possible.
Guess my caution just comes from seeing too many people throw air bags or helper springs on their 1/2ton trucks, and then try to use it like a 3/4 or 1 ton and then wonder why their wheel bearings failed or the axle bent.

I net with that lift and 35s. You can watch that fuel gauge needle move to the left quick

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, there are two numbers to watch and so far only one is being talked about. The truck must be able carry the weight AND pull the weight. Pulling is what you have been asking about. You also need to look into payload. This is the hitch weight the trailer puts on the bumper as well as all the cargo (people in the truck, things in the bed). You should be able to find the payload rating specific to your truck on the door sticker.

a12rag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, there are two numbers to watch and so far only one is being talked about. The truck must be able carry the weight AND pull the weight. Pulling is what you have been asking about. You also need to look into payload. This is the hitch weight the trailer puts on the bumper as well as all the cargo (people in the truck, things in the bed). You should be able to find the payload rating specific to your truck on the door sticker.

Exactly !!! If you look at the GVWR, that will tell you how much you can handle, tongue weight, weight of people and stuff and then you can see how even though you could "tow" the trailer weight, but you are overweight in the gvwr. My 2013 is "only rated" for 1.050lb. . . . my trailer is 600lb tongue weight, that leaves 400lb for myself, and other passenger, and stuff . . . sounds like the 2019 trucks (all manufacturers) have been upping the GVWR ratings.

All manufacturers have sold 1/2tons, saying sure they can "tow" up to 10,000lb . . . . BUT, nothing said about the actual weight the truck can carry between people, stuff and tongue weight !! There are probably many out there that are towing, and over capacity on the GVWR of the truck.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just think of your 1500 as a pickup truck-shaped station wagon!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have a 2013 1500 Hemi QC with 3.55s and 6 spd. I have towed my sons 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK camper a few times long distance. Their site lists it at 6500lbs dry weight but my truck ran up pretty hard on hills (all on highways at about 65MPH). I was turning about 3500-4000RPM a few times on hills but other than that it was fine. I also tow my boat that is about 9000lbs wet. Don't have much trouble towing it but only had 1 long distance trip with it. I never had any issues with the rear of the truck squatting but did use a WD hitch with the camper. Looking at a newer truck now and thinking a 2500 is in my future.

d_coyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Anybody know if the trucks equipped with the 3.92 gears also have heavier duty springs in the rear over the trucks with the 3.21's or is the suspension the same?

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think they're all the same as far as springs, brakes, etc. The gears and air ride are about the only difference that I can think of. Ram makes it simple by keeping their GAWR the same across all the 1500 variations, which implies to me that the supporting hardware remains the same too.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Also worth noting, simply changing the gears, or any other suspension upgrades for that matter, will NOT change your trucks legal tow rating.
The gearing part is incorrect. Whether the truck has 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92 gearing doesn't change a vehicles GAWR or GVWR. Also a vehicle's GCWR isn't tied to the VIN like the GAWR and GVWR, so the "legality" argument is BS. The vehicle's GCWR is limited by that person's state, whether it is a fixed number by vehicle classification or an Elected Gross Weight.
The suspension and braking is the same across all the 1500s, so that's a non-argument either.

Walkdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Look inside your drivers side door jam and there should be a yellow sticker with weights. Look up top of that sticker and look for your max payload.

This sticker gives your max payload for your truck! PERIOD! :) My sticker says 6200#'s

EDIT: Max payload is the loaded weight in your TRUCK. As in the bed of your truck, fat people inside and fat dogs as well all seated.