RAM 1500 towing; lackluster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearsoup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Hello all, first post here, and possible prospective RAM owner.
I'm currently in the market for a newer truck. My 4.0L 4dr Tacoma has been a reliable machine that's never let me down. My son is really needing a truck for work (self employed carpenter) so I figured I'd help him out for letting him have the Taco for a steal (half of book value) and I'd "upgrade" to something newer.
So, it came as a surprise to me that the 1500 Classic has only just a "bit" more towing capacity than the Taco!

What I tow on the regular:
6' x 10' utility trailer loaded with raw material for my machine shop or metal chips every 3-4 months, never above 2k pounds, or the same utility trailer except loaded with a Polaris Ranger (700 pounds or so) and a couple dirt bikes in the bed, along with gear and kiddos.

I really did fall in love with this RAM, am I setting myself up for disappointment? Would it be possible to make it more "tow worthy"?
I need the bed capacity for my work (machine shop, part deliveries), the quad cab to haul kids around when camping at off roading, and the fuel efficiency for light errands. Zero plans on a camper, boat, or horses (much to my daughters dismay).

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Don’t know much about the classic. Have had a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 5.7, a 2017 Ram 3/4 with a 6.4, and now a 2021 Ram 3500 with a 6.4. Is the classic your looking at have a 6 or 8 cylinder engine? Sounds like your towing lite so a 6 cylinder should do fine. But if in the future towing could get heavier, get the 5.7 hemi. I towed a 8000 lb travel trailer with my 2014 1500. Future proof yourself so your not buying again in a couple years.

just clicked on your link. It’s a 6 cylinder. My brother has a warlock with same engine. He loves it. Pulls his boat with no issues. You should be good to go but make sure it has a tranny cooler.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s listed as a 3.6l v6 so yes. The tow capacity is low. The 5.7 v8 with 3.92 rear gears like I have is rated to around 10,500lbs tow capacity.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 3.6 classic with 3.21 that you're looking at is rated for 4300lbs towing. Find one with the 3.55, it’s rated for around 7200lbs.

If you need to tow more than 8000 on a regular basis just breeze right past the half tons and straight to the 2500. You will run out of payload long before you get your trailer to 8000.

This 223RBS is 5700lbs loaded with 880lbs tongue. With the two of us, generator in the box and other stuff, I'm right there at the trucks payload of 1419lbs. I've got 1211 rear springs so there's much less sag in the rear.

IMG_20220618_093307.jpg

Last edited:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had a big trailer like that before (and a bigger truck to pull it). You know where that trailer fit? Nowhere!!! Unless you like sandwiched condo rv parks or reserve the one of three campsites in the forest campground the year before that can accommodate a full 60’ of truck and trailer in the section where the access road will allow such a unit to navigate the corners and trees…

18F587CB-18D5-41B5-AE44-E670E37F1389.jpeg

Your land yacht works for you and your parking lot. Have fun (And watch your payload).

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I had a big trailer like that before (and a bigger truck to pull it). You know where that trailer fit? Nowhere!!! Unless you like sandwiched condo rv parks or reserve the one of three campsites in the forest campground the year before that can accommodate a full 60’ of truck and trailer in the section where the access road will allow such a unit to navigate the corners and trees…

View attachment 497005

Your land yacht works for you and your parking lot. Have fun (And watch your payload).
I have since sold it. But put 1000s of miles on it over dozens of campgrounds. Small campgrounds, large ones and everything inbetween. Point being the RAM has no issues towing. Well more than that toyota.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm currently in the market for a newer truck. My 4.0L 4dr Tacoma has been a reliable machine that's never let me down. My son is really needing a truck for work (self employed carpenter) so I figured I'd help him out for letting him have the Taco for a steal (half of book value) and I'd "upgrade" to something newer.
So, it came as a surprise to me that the 1500 Classic has only just a "bit" more towing capacity than the Taco!

6' x 10' utility trailer loaded with raw material for my machine shop or metal chips every 3-4 months, never above 2k pounds, or the same utility trailer except loaded with a Polaris Ranger (700 pounds or so) and a couple dirt bikes in the bed, along with gear and kiddos.

I really did fall in love with this RAM, am I setting myself up for disappointment? Would it be possible to make it more "tow worthy"?
I need the bed capacity for my work (machine shop, part deliveries), the quad cab to haul kids around when camping at off roading, and the fuel efficiency for light errands. Zero plans on a camper, boat, or horses (much to my daughters dismay).

The 3.6 in the classic you linked to there, has a smaller engine (displacement) than your toyota, it's put in a bigger and heavier truck, and still manages to tow more than your toyota.

What exactly are you surprised at?

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6

It'll tow your load easily and control it better too.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I have owned several 2019 RAMs. Both were/ are Hemi RAMs. However I do appreciate the 3.6 RAMs. Why?? Because I am a former Chevy "for life" owner. The 3.6 engine has more power output than the 350 engines did. So your 3.6 will do well as well as the 4.7 RAMs did as well. I would not think twice about getting it if a v6 will do what you desire (and it will). However I am partial to the hemi. But it wasn't enough for me so I boosted mine. LOL

RafaMexico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2021 Ram Classic Hemi 5.7 4WD 8 spd, 3.92 gears, what they call in Mexico the "Hemi Sport". Added extra heavy duty rear coils and air bags, came with HD cooling, 11,000 lb. towing capacity. Added MOPAR integrated brake controller and SXM sat radio kit. Use Weight Distributing hitch. Been towing for 40 years and this is the most capable, well behaved rig I have ever used, plenty of power to haul this 30 ft RV 7200 lbs wet.20220619_174651.jpg

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good resource.

I'd say if the Tacoma did your towing jobs OK , then this will too though it will definitely not he an upgrade in terms of towing. Payload isn't too bad for a 1500.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
The 3.6 is a good engine, but it needs rpm's to make power. I probably wouldn't get 3.21 gears if I were going to tow; they were fine behind the 5.7, but I'm not sure about the 3.6. I'd try to hook up the trailer with the atv first and see how it feels. The other thing to consider is the amoutn of room in the quad cab; it's okay for small kids, but gets cramped pretty quickly, especially if you're tall and have your seat back.
As an alternative, the same dealer has a 2019 with 5.7 and 3.21 gears that is more than capable of cruising around effortlessly with a couple thousand pounds behind it and the full crew cab so you have room to stretch out. Then the question becomes warranty; it's certified, so it may be worth checking into.
2019 Ram Crew Cab 5.7
1657310207185.png

Best of luck to you!

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
For that light towing, get the 6cyl. Most reliable engine by far. Remember, modern 6cylinders have more power than then the V8's of the last generation.

fitzdicksn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have a 2011 Hemi 4x4 crew cab with tow package rated for 10,200 lbs. We tow and have towed a 7500 lb camper all over the western US and Canada through the mountains with ZERO issues. Best get LT series tires though for more stable road manners

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6

yes so true, we have a 33ft TT, and we can squeeze it in many campgrounds due to length. We have to be selective where we go.
OP, yes i had a 2015 1500 with 5.7 and it towed our 6k TT ok. so if you step up to a v8, you will be happier as many have said.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
My 2019 4WD V6 1500 with the 3.55 gear ratio pulls just as well as my old 2001 5.9l gas 4WD with 4.10 gear ratio did. I recently towed a GMC 4WD van up and down the hills here with no issues---probably about 7,000 pounds, open car trailer. The little V6 allows for better loads on the truck itself---1688# for mine. The 8-speed trans really makes the truck. The Aluminum V6 does indeed like to rev but that's what it's made to do.

That said, if I were to want to pull a large, boxy travel trailer very much, I would get the 2500 with a big engine (maybe diesel) and 3.92's, gas mileage would suffer, but the truck would hold up.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I have been a chevy guy and worked at ford dealer for a long time ! I never really liked "Dodge" but got a deal on a 2001 caravan back in 2006 and have 3 since then just traded it in on a 2019 Ram 1500 classic express crew cab with 5.7 Hemi 8spd 3:92 rear gear w factory suspension put air bags in rear coils factory class 4 hitch and tow pack this truck will tow 12,000 Lbs
it out tows ford and chevy of the same weight class and pay load ! i have fallin in love with Ram ! also i tow a 8,000 Lbs RV Trailer all the time with ease ! Oh and with the crew cab my teenage Daughter is 6'2" tall i am 5'11" my wife is 5'8" and we have a ton of room in the cab

MonkeyBusiness

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 1500 Sport 4x4 with a 3" F+ 0" R leveling kit and a 3" body lift with 24x14 wheels and 33x14.50 tires. For the squating when towing I have airbags and I have towed 12k lbs with no problem. A truck is like a gun better to have and not need it than yada yada yada...