Ram 1500 transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I watched a video some years back, it was made by a well known Ram owner that has since passed away.
I believe that he towed motorcycles for dealerships, putting on several miles a week.

His name was Shawn Capson, he made several videos about things he did with his Ram. He used the screen name mopar ecodiesel

Here is a video that you should watch about servicing the ZF8 transmission

Another video that he made
In it he tells why he made the change.
He added rare earth magnets

Very sorry to see that he passed away, he looks very young. RIP.

That's a Home Depot pump sprayer, you could probably make one of those yourself. Maybe put a ball valve on the hose. It's a great idea in any case.

20210221_175804.jpg

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I used a 1 gallon chapin garden sprayer. And cut the wand off about 6 inches from the hand valve.

I then put a 6 - 8 inch piece of 3/8 OD clear tubing on the end of the wand.

Worked beautiful, loaded a gallon of fluid in the sprayer, the trans took about 3 qts.* fluid at empty. Loaded more fluid into the sprayer and started her up. The trans took about 2 qts.* more, then a little more* after I cycled through the instructions @Wild one posted on this site.

* I used the OE Mopar pan with integral filter, those that use other pans, especially the PPE pan will use more fluid due to the extra capacity of the pan.

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In thinking more about some of this, especially Wild one's post, it puzzles me why you can't just drain the fluid, re-install the pan w/ new gasket, and add new fluid. I can kind of understand how raising the rear of the vehicle would aid in getting the fluid level right. The gear change part of the procedure (reverse, drive, 2000rpm for 5s, etc.) is a bit confounding.
For comparison, in the Dakota, I used to simply warm the engine, drop the pan (very messy), clean it & the filter, re-install it with a new gasket, and add new fluid. (BTW, on the first change, I bored a hole in the pan and welded a threaded boss to the bottom of the pan - added a drain plug - so the fluid could be easily change next time.)
Next time you entertain the idea of cleaning a trans filter you might want to smash it apart and see how they are constructed.Any I've seen would be impossible to clean and I've seen quite a few being as I was the tranny guy for 15 years.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have to agree with you paco. I have been burned by warranties twice. I bought a new bike in 1980, starter went out in 3 months, 'electrical not covered'. My x bought a new Firebird in 1984, V8/5sp., clutch went out 6 months. 'clutch assy. not covered'. And NO, it wasn't me, I was not authorized nor did I have permission to even start that car. The dilemma is what manufacture do you follow. It looks like you have the Mopar lifetime, Mopar states lifetime fluid. I would get a thick magnifying glass and read the disclosures. I don't purchase these types of warranties so I following ZF's recommendations. Nick
Nobody warr. clutches because they're wear items.Have you seen some people drive standards?Some people could wear out a clutch driving around the block.As far as electrical not being warr. it must have been a 3rd party warr.They usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Next time you entertain the idea of cleaning a trans filter you might want to smash it apart and see how they are constructed.Any I've seen would be impossible to clean and I've seen quite a few being as I was the tranny guy for 15 years.

OE is a piece of media sealed in place.
How restricted is this? Don't know.

Top side:

20210102_095153.jpg

Bottom side: Some small stuff and bronze sliver.
20210102_095432.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I've come to the conculusion the majority of Ram owners squeak when they walk ,they're so damn cheap,lol:waytogo:

OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
Can anyone please tell me for a fact whether the 8-speed automatic transmission in a 2017 Ram SLT (3.6L V6) has a canister-type filter?? I've seen a video of a slightly earlier model that indeed had such a filter:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can anyone please tell me for a fact whether the 8-speed automatic transmission in a 2017 Ram SLT (3.6L V6) has a canister-type filter?? I've seen a video of a slightly earlier model that indeed had such a filter:

Look at Ed's post above (#45) that's what your filter in your lighter duty 8HP45 resembles,no canister filters in any of the 8 speeds.The only way to replace the transmission filter in all of the newer 8 speeds is to buy a new transmission pan,as the filter is part of the pan itself. That goes for the little 8HP45 you have right through the complete line of 8 speeds used by FCA whether it be the 8HP45 / 8HP70 / 8HP75 / 8HP90 / 8HP95
You've already seen these instructions and seem to not like them,but i'll post them again for you,lol .

IMG_3383 (2).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
Thanks for the quick response Wild One !!

Then I wonder what year this guy's working on ??? You'll see him remove the canister in the front/right corner of the exposed transmission bottom. He never specifically says what year it is.

I keep trying to post this Youtube link but the system doesn't like it !!! Uggghhh

Here - I'll try something creative

https:// {remove this space} www.youtube.com/watch?v=QReFPez1njw

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the quick response Wild One !!

Then I wonder what year this guy's working on ??? You'll see him remove the canister in the front/right corner of the exposed transmission bottom. He never specifically says what year it is.

I keep trying to post this Youtube link but the system doesn't like it !!! Uggghhh

Here - I'll try something creative

https:// {remove this space} www.youtube.com/watch?v=QReFPez1njw

He's working on the earlier 5 / 6 speed RFE tranny (up till 2012 they were called 5 speeds ,in 2013 they got a programming change and basically became a 6 speed by utilizing the earlier 2nd prime gear as 3rd),they do use a cannister filter and a replaceable flat filter,your 8 speed is a completely differant tranny in comparision to the earlier RFE transmissions
For the most part you guys south of the border pretty well got the 8 speed across all trim lines in 2015,while us Canucks got stuck with the earlier RFE trannies right up till 2020,maybe even 2021 in the lower trim level 4th Gen Classics,i haven't checked out a 2021 Classic to see if FCA is still sticking the earlier RFE tranny in them.Canada is FCA's dumping ground for all the older stuff they don't dare pawn off on you guys down south,lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
In most videos like this, the mechanic states clearly what year they're working on. This guy didn't !!
Again ... thanks so much for your response Wild One. Very helpful ...

OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
One more question re: this 8HP45 {8-speed automatic transmission in a 2017 Ram SLT (3.6L V6)}:

Would the pan likely have a gasket (as in my old Dakota) or RTV ??

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Mopar pan I bought from RockAuto for my 8HP70 came with gasket, bolts, and new fill plug.

The aftermarket aluminum pans, I don't think so, but not sure.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The $20 part you link to is just the gasket.

If you look just above at the Dorman oil pan #265850 (68233701AA), in the description it states that bolts and gasket are included for $117

It even says that it has a replaceable filter as well.

You wont need rtv either. Follow the torque specs. Not sure what they are for your pan, but on the OE pan for the 8HP70, they are something like 88 in-lbs. And the pan seals fine.

NOTE: The same # Dorman pan is listed for the hemi w/8 spd trans. I am not sure if the pans for the 8HP45 and 8HP70 are the same. Please verify the part numbers before you order.

I would not want to give you the wrong info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
Yes, I totally realize that the item is "just the gasket". That's all I was interested in !! See #52.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OE is a piece of media sealed in place.
How restricted is this? Don't know.

Top side:

View attachment 238704

Bottom side: Some small stuff and bronze sliver.
View attachment 238705
Looks like two layers like most I've seen.Open up the two layers and have a look.You'll probably be surprised at what's in there.That was the first thing I did when I started tearing into a trans.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Ram 1500 hemi. 70k miles. I had a BG flush using MOPAR OEM fluid. About $200 at my independent repair shop. I’ll do it again at 140k. Falls ahead/within the ZF suggested 80-120km (48-72 k mile) interval; the manual doesn’t tell you that. Did an analysis at Blackstone Labs of the old fluid. Sample showed no unusual wear or markers. However, lab suggested remaining on my service schedule for long life. I drive primarily highway with zero towing.

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
Unpopular opinion on this board. 30k. Keep the fluid clean so it doesn't have a chance to breakdown and fail - which will then cause a mechanical failure.

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
Well, didn't see any responses but I may have answered my own question. Not within the 360-page User Guide but rather on one of pages in the Owner's Information DVD I read this:
Fluid and Filter Changes — Eight-Speed Transmission

Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle.

Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.
I'm not really sure I believe this but this is what it said.
Its baffling to me what some owners manuals say these days. Almost as if they are counting on repair work down the line! If the fluid is good for the lifetime of the vehicle then why is the warranty not the lifetime of the vehicle?!