Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceberg94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Hello, it has been happening lately every time I drive. It comes with a beeping sound and a message on the screen: "SERVICE TRANSMISSION CONTINUE IN D. - DO NOT SHIFT or TURN ENGINE OFF UNTIL YOU REACH A DESIRED LOCATION. YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT AGAIN UNTIL SERVICED. "

I do not know what is this about!! It is alarming to me, I really like the truck but its getting me mad and frustrated not knowing if its something dangerous or serious!! I brought the vehicle to the dealership and they did not find anything wrong with the truck? -.-

Can some help me? Did anyone ever come across this issue?

Note that truck feels fine driving i think .. LOL

Please and thank ya!

OP
OP
I

iceberg94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Did you service it ? What did the dealer say they did ?how many miles ?

They did not give me much information, they seemed busy and they said we checked everything we could. If this happens again, comeback and we will perform a more detailed check up?

121.000 KM or 75.000 M

E7sailor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
My wife and I have both experienced this issue. It started with electric trailer brake error message and has progressed from Transmission error, to electric brake, cruise control not working, dash instrument area going blank, and lastly the transmission locks in a lower gear and won't upshift or downshift unless you pull over and shift out of drive into Park adn then shift back to drive.. It's at the dealer being checked out. Not very happy right now.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This could be a lot of things and may have nothing to do with the transmission itself.

It's going to need a code scan and some advanced diagnostics, but to me it sounds like something with the dial shifter itself.

It could be as simple as a battery, wire or ground connection or charging system issue too. If the charging system isn't putting out ~14VDC across the battery at idle, all kinds of issues can result.

When you get the message, can you use the + and - on the steering wheel buttons to toggle though the 8 gears without problems?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right, the OP's problem sounds like a problem with the shifter. E7sailor's symptoms point more to bus communication issues.

E7sailor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
Found out what our problem was…
As crazy as this sounds at some point in this trucks life before I bought it someone installed a gps tracker behind the dash inline with the cigarette lighter. Tracker removed all the codes cleared without further work.

4A9004C6-D5BD-4C4D-A31B-7901B7B96A1B.jpeg

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like this thing plugs into the OBD port ? I can see that causing issues on the CAN bus. Glad it was something simple.

Jbeyer3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I just purchased a new 2022 Ram 1500 Black Widow Edition. At about 975 miles, all the dashboard error lights lit up and the error message “Service Transmission. Continue in D(rive). Do not shut engine off. Shifting may not be possible." went on. The truck drives fine but the dash board lights won’t go off and the error message keeps scrolling. Called the dodge dealer garage and he was clueless.

Cliprship

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I received the exact same message and am just under 1,000 miles. Seems to be a common issue - any self fixes or do I have to go the dealership for servicing?