Rambo, Old farts last build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I wanted to have a cargo cam but my 8.4 software does not support it. I only want it when backing up to my 5th wheel so I just put a switch on the stock tailgate camera. Added a DPDT sw in the little panel on the side of the console. up is stock tailgate and down is cargo cam.
DSCF4957.JPG

Then added a camera I had kicking around into the third brake light.

DSCF4956.JPG

Pulled power for the new camera from the backup light circuit (trailer system) at the fuse box. Soldered and heat shrunk the splice and ran it through a Weatherpack connector. After all these years I'm finally learning to label my added wires before I forget what there for!!

DSCF4954.JPG

It's much better on the neck and marriage when backing up to the trailer.

I added a grommet to the middle of the clutch master block off plate as I'm sure there will be lots of wires to run through the firewall in the future. Just a piece of Gorilla tape over the hole till its full enough to seal up permanently.

DSCF4955.JPG

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
In order to nicely clear the 37's without a lift kit I was trying to figure out how to move the suspension forward an inch and spent quite a bit of time under the truck looking up. ;>)
In the end I moved the body back 1 1/4" which was pretty darn easy. I made aluminum spacers that did a 1 1/2" body lift and 1 1/4" body shift back. Also a 1 1/4. steering shaft extension.
Here are the spacers installed on the box.
Box with spacers.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I have spent a great deal of time surfing the net looking for the "perfect" front bumper. Something beefy yet not huge.
I don't like the type that look like the truck has a big chin hanging down.
After a lot of searching I found these ones from VICE and then realized they were right here close to me. https://www.vicedesign.ca/bumpers
I like the shape and when I asked if they could build one in aluminum they said they would give it a try. I wanted to keep the front end as light as possible.
They just sent a picture of how its going and I love it.Rambo at Vice.jpg

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Thanks, its just the beginning.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
VICE built a nice matching rear bumper and I spent the week prepping and Raptor lining it.
Its a steel one as the added weight over the rear tires is a good thing.
I will be changing to a singe side exit exhaust so I did not get the dual outlet bumper.

Rear bumper2.jpg

Rear bumper1.jpg

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would say so... what is the reason behind pulling the engine?

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Got the new front axle mounting brackets built and temporarily installed. The axle is usually suspended from the Hemi engine mounts which are no longer going to be used so I had to come up with an alternate way to mount the axle. It's all on poly bushings so pretty ridged but still a bit of flex.Axle brackets.JPG

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Slid the Cummins back in to test fit all the accessories and turbo. Have to build some brackets to mount the Hemi A/C compressor and alternator.

Turbo test fit.JPG

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Got lots done on the Ram this weekend. A/C compressor mounted, alternator mounted, intercooler mounted and turbo position figured out.

Rambo intercooler.JPG