Rear view camera question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
My 2019 2500 has a backup camera mounted in the tailgate, but I removed the tailgate because I installed my camper. And the camper makes seeing behind me even harder.

I'd like to mount a camera on the camper that will plug into the factory harness for the tailgate camera.

I google searched and found Ram replacement cams for older models, but none for the 5th gen. Removing the one from the tailgate and installing it on the camper looks like a pain, and I would have to do it every time I switch setups.

Where can I find one, or is there an after market solution? It seems dumb to buy a whole separate system with a monitor when the factory setup is in place.

Yes, I know how to use the mirrors, but why not embrace the modern features that came with my truck?

B7yMhSyBT5OIRsn6QyIRCw.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This looks like it might be just the thing, but I'm not sure about connector compatibility.

https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/vts30.html
You can’t use a camera like that. You’ll have to buy the same digital camera that’s in your tailgate, and a length of coax cable with the fakra connectors to plug into the rear facia/tailgate connector. Then find some type of mounting solution for that camera.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm thinking you could extend the harness and use your OEM camera, mounting it on the camper.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hope you find a solution because I'm looking into a slide in camper and this would be a sweet option. Good luck.

Red

OP
OP
Jeff400650

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I decided to just order a complete wireless system from Amazon. It gets rave reviews, is pretty cheap, and will have the advantage of being able to be on whenever the motor is running instead of only when in reverse. Could help with blind spot monitoring. Although I have not found a wire in the rear of the truck to connect it to that is powered when the ignition is on. I might have to just use the tail light wire, so I will have to turn the lights on for it to work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLZ1HSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
There are wireless cameras that can run off the DC from the trailer plug but they can have problems getting the signal to the cab. What works the best is to have the sender for the video mounted near the front of the camper and running a wire to the camera at the rear of the camper.

The wireless cameras meant for motorhomes have a higher signal strength but cost a lot more. Check the reviews to see if a particular model has unhappy users.

OP
OP
Jeff400650

Jeff400650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
The one I ordered gets good reviews for signal. I checked all the wires at the trailer plug, but none are energized just when the truck is running. That is what I'd like to hook into. I'm thinking I will just connect to the license light, and will have to turn my running lights on whenever I want the camera on. Either that, or just use the backup light wire and have camera function only when in reverse, the way the tailgate one worked.

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’m installing a new Expedition One rear bumper in my 2019 Power Wagon but can’t figure out how to remove the tailgate backup camera so that I can reroute to the new bumper. The swing out arms with Geri cans and spare tire will block tailgate camera.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 4

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The new fancy Rams have a Video plug in the rear bumper, it is on the opposite side from the trailer plug.
The Video plug looks like a cable tv hook up
you can run a hard line to a camper in the trucks bed. or to the rear of a trailer or inside of a trailer

It may be called something like the
Optional Camera System
or
Wired Prep Camera Option

sites below mention different options

ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTTOW-MODE CAMERA (WIRED)
Code: XH7$415.00$450.00
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENTTRAILER SURROUND VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM
Code: XN1

$916.00
$995.00

I'm sure Jimmy07 will detail, but what I gather is the XN1 uses the known 12-pin and the XH7 uses a new (additional) bumper plug.

for gooseneck trailers

Last edited: