Rebels are rare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfljsfdkjs

Reaction score
While the current global supply chain issues have made a complete mess of the vehicle market, I'm in a spot where I need to look at buying a new truck. The Rebel 1500 5.7 Hemi is the truck that fits, but the problem is there are almost none available within 300 miles of me. The very few that I can find all have the e-torque system, which I'm not a fan of.

Having said that, if the etorque variant is all I can find, I have to either buy it or find a different brand of truck. There are no Rebels close enough that I can test drive one. There are only two or three within a half days drive that are equipped close to how I could want one. My question is this: for those that own an etorque, can you tell when it kicks in or when the engine starts/stops? I won't buy a vehicle that shutters or knocks when the start/stop feature kicks in. I've ridden in several where it's obvious and I couldn't live with it. If there's a known issue with sensations associated with the engine start/stop or other etorque related noises and vibrations, it could save me a full days driving to go test drive one.

I was told by a dealer today that the current wait time on a build is 5 to 6 months, and I can't wait that long.

Thanks in advance for any relevant insight you have.

vdemarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an etorque rebel, and to be honest i can hardly tell when it restarts the engine. The start up is pretty quite you don't hear and starter going. To be honest when i drive my wifes durango, its feels that its just too loud at stop lights.

The engine is up and running by the time you lift off the brake pedal.

So far my 2020 rebel has 11,000 miles on it. Still love it.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I ordered my Rebel in Feb. did not get until mid Aug. it's about 30 days old now.
2600 KMs. I don't have the etorque. wasn't even an option at time.

You might have search far. There aren't many Rams sitting at dealers.
I know at least in my area, dealers only have few classic rams. I checked 30 dealers up to 500KM away
none had any 2500 or 3500. Only few had 5th Gen.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My wife's Cherokee has the stop start, very seamles no driveability issues. There is a switch on the dash that turns it off. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a Rebel.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I'm a little over 23,000 miles now on mine. The start/stop is pretty seamless, and there is an aftermarket tool to permanently push the disable button if you don't like it.

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can always check dealerships around the country and have them deliver it to you.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Search nation wide and either fly in, drive home or have it shipped. Everything is in short supply right now it's not just Rebels. It's also a real bad time to be buying, you will likely pay MSRP+.
I would not compromise on what engine you want, you will never be happy trust me. Either open up the search area or order one and buy a ****** to drive in the mean time.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ^ I guess b e a t e r is now a bad word Lol.

Mwyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are going to order one I found when I ordered my 2022 Laramie that if I wanted a 5.7 i had to get the E-Torque. I am not sure if that holds true for the Rebel.

OP
OP
S

sfljsfdkjs

Reaction score
It's been a wild few days, but I found a Rebel that had almost everything I wanted. The only potential issue I had with it was the e-torque. I drove three hours this morning to test drive it, and if it didn't say e-torque on the window sticker, I'd have never known. Very smooth truck. Can't wait to get some more miles on it.

Update: I can now tell that it's an etorque. On the drive home from the dealer the engine start/stop never kicked in. It was a 150 mile trip, and I probably came to a stop a dozen or more times along the way, but the star/stop never did it's thing. I don't know why, but it's certainly doing it now. Very noticeable when it shuts off. The 5.7 thunks to a stop and you can feel it just like any other time an engine abruptly halts. I thought I'd hate that sensation...and i might eventually...but right now it's new enough that it'll be fun to test it with the stop/start on and off to see how the mileage goes.

Last edited:

Jcooper427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my Rebel in Feb. did not get until mid Aug. it's about 30 days old now.
2600 KMs. I don't have the etorque. wasn't even an option at time.

You might have search far. There aren't many Rams sitting at dealers.
I know at least in my area, dealers only have few classic rams. I checked 30 dealers up to 500KM away
none had any 2500 or 3500. Only few had 5th Gen.
The e torque was available back in 2019. I have it on my 19 rebel.

Jcooper427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's been a wild few days, but I found a Rebel that had almost everything I wanted. The only potential issue I had with it was the e-torque. I drove three hours this morning to test drive it, and if it didn't say e-torque on the window sticker, I'd have never known. Very smooth truck. Can't wait to get some more miles on it.

Update: I can now tell that it's an etorque. On the drive home from the dealer the engine start/stop never kicked in. It was a 150 mile trip, and I probably came to a stop a dozen or more times along the way, but the star/stop never did it's thing. I don't know why, but it's certainly doing it now. Very noticeable when it shuts off. The 5.7 thunks to a stop and you can feel it just like any other time an engine abruptly halts. I thought I'd hate that sensation...and i might eventually...but right now it's new enough that it'll be fun to test it with the stop/start on and off to see how the mileage goes.
If you don’t like it just push the button and shut off the start stop. Easy as that.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The e torque was available back in 2019. I have it on my 19 rebel.
AND?? Did you read my post? It wasn't an option when I ordered mine...

It's STILL not an option for 2021 even though you can't order them anymore.
They added it back in 2022...

1633296458670.png

1633296509432.png

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you don’t like it just push the button and shut off the start stop. Easy as that.

Is it that simple? My wife's Jeep has it (not etorque but the engine shut-off when stopped). There's a button that disables it but you have to do it each time you start it. I don't like it, but I'd be ok with it if it was just a button push. The OP is making it seem like much more of a hassle or not possible. I'm interested in knowing because I'm thinking of replacing my '19 and was looking at a few Laramies and Sports in dealer inventory and they all had etorque.

OP
OP
S

sfljsfdkjs

Reaction score
^^^You can disable the start/stop feature with the push of a button, but it re-arms every time you turn the vehicle off. So the next time you start the truck, you have to push the button again.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've installed an Autostop Eliminator, which keeps the stop/start disabled as long as you want. Turn it off once and you don't need to touch it again. The button on the dash is still operational, so you can turn it back on without removing the device. Simple to install, and can be easily removed if you're worried about the dealer saying something about it. It was the best $99 I've spent on this truck. Here's a link for anyone interested...

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've installed an Autostop Eliminator, which keeps the stop/start disabled as long as you want. Turn it off once and you don't need to touch it again. The button on the dash is still operational, so you can turn it back on without removing the device. Simple to install, and can be easily removed if you're worried about the dealer saying something about it. It was the best $99 I've spent on this truck. Here's a link for anyone interested...

Thanks...I'm definitely keeping this link just in case.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Rebel GT
Engine
Hemi e-torque
I think the e-torque smooths out pulling away from a stop, but I ALWAYS turn off the stop start. I'm not pushing mine yet as I have only a couple hundred miles on it.

I will say my 2017 seemed less isolated from the road. More nimble, a little bit sharper. The 2022 is butter smooth and quiet but a bit more lumbering and numb. Perhaps it is the tires, as my last truck had Nokians which have a lot of feel in them. I did have a Hellwig sway bar on the old truck that I remember feeling sharper the week I installed it. As with most mods they begin to feel 'normal' after a short while of getting used to them.

Even though I got the GT package I wasn't looking for or expecting a sports car. The upgraded interior and cat back exhaust alone are worth the price of admission. The Rebel GT is an extremely capable, comfortable overland cruiser. I can not think of a nicer vehicle to take a nice road trip in.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have an etorque rebel, and to be honest i can hardly tell when it restarts the engine. The start up is pretty quite you don't hear and starter going.
With the eTorque system, it doesn't use the starter during the Start/Stop operation. The eTorque alternator/motor that belt drives to the motor is what spins the engine to restart and provide power on take off.

Triplel56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

can always turn thr stop/start feature Off.