Recall for Tailgate Flying Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Fiat Chrysler is recalling about 1.1 million pickups in the U.S. to fix a defect that could result in their tailgates flying open while in motion. The automaker issued a recall to fix the power-locking mechanisms in the tailgates of certain Ram pickup trucks.

The company said it had not identified any injuries or accidents connected to the defect.

The recall covers a portion of Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks from the 2015 through 2017 model years. Pickups in that range with manual tailgate locking are not affected. Pickups with eight-foot cargo beds are also not affected.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/08/02/fiat-chrysler-ram-pickup-recall/887544002/
------

Strange they don't mention the 2018.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
it has been a known issue for a while now, good to see they are taking the step to get it fixed on all trucks affected

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I am a new member to Ram family so I am unsure if I should be impressed by Ram's willingness to recall issues and fix them or if I should be concerned.

I have owned my 2017 Ram (8th year of production for the 4th gen model) since February of this year and already have 2 recalls out for my truck and now potentially a 3rd.

In the combined previous 23years, neither my 2006 Ford F150 or my 1994 GMC Sierra were affected by a single recall.

Is this just that FCA takes more responsibility for their known issues or does the Ram really have that many problems compared to other manufacturers?

Are all of the other manufacturers having a similar number of recalls?

I love my truck, but this does cause me some slight concern.

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It stinks that we have to "deal" with all these recalls, but IMHO its not if you get everything 100% right out of the gate, its how you act when you realize its not 100% correct out of the gate (no pun intended).

Im glad they made the tailgate thing into a recall....one of the small articles said they had at least 5800 complaints/warranty claims. Granted, 5800 out of the 1.1 million recalled trucks is not even a drop in the bucket, but at least it was enough for them to recall. Its also possible it took "this long" because they were making sure the fix they used on the warranty claims actually stayed working.

I, too, have a 2017 and the following fixes are outstanding:

1. AutoPark (Im going to decline it, but it is on My Mopar for my truck)
2. Cruise recall (delaying for now, since there are some people saying cruise stops working altogether after the "fix")
3. Tailgate recall (not showing on My Mopar just yet but Im assuming I will be part of it)

My 2011 G37 has never had a recall. However, there were a couple fixes "necessary" to help driveability.

Our 2015 Lexus ES has had one recall, but it was a biggie - the pre-collision braking/radar cruise sensor would trigger if it saw something metal in the road (i.e. a sewer grate at bottom of hill or metal bridge section dividers)

Honestly, FCA actually issuing recalls and fixing problems makes me feel better than my G37 did (transmission shifts were dangerously laggy in certain conditions....but all they did was issue a TSB)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
It stinks that we have to "deal" with all these recalls, but IMHO its not if you get everything 100% right out of the gate, its how you act when you realize its not 100% correct out of the gate (no pun intended).

Im glad they made the tailgate thing into a recall....one of the small articles said they had at least 5800 complaints/warranty claims. Granted, 5800 out of the 1.1 million recalled trucks is not even a drop in the bucket, but at least it was enough for them to recall. Its also possible it took "this long" because they were making sure the fix they used on the warranty claims actually stayed working.

I, too, have a 2017 and the following fixes are outstanding:

1. AutoPark (Im going to decline it, but it is on My Mopar for my truck)
2. Cruise recall (delaying for now, since there are some people saying cruise stops working altogether after the "fix")
3. Tailgate recall (not showing on My Mopar just yet but Im assuming I will be part of it)

My 2011 G37 has never had a recall. However, there were a couple fixes "necessary" to help driveability.

Our 2015 Lexus ES has had one recall, but it was a biggie - the pre-collision braking/radar cruise sensor would trigger if it saw something metal in the road (i.e. a sewer grate at bottom of hill or metal bridge section dividers)

Honestly, FCA actually issuing recalls and fixing problems makes me feel better than my G37 did (transmission shifts were dangerously laggy in certain conditions....but all they did was issue a TSB)
I just had the cruise control recall done on my truck and on the way home I checked to see if cruise control still worked and it did

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah Im hoping the non-working cruise after recall fix is just a fluke, but there is more than one person reporting it.

But now Ill wait anyway so I can go have the cruise and tailgate fix at the same time. So maybe by then we'll see if the cruise fix is breaking things or just a coincidence that it stopped working afterward.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the tailgate fix going to be denied to the folks with tail gate assist installed?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Is the tailgate fix going to be denied to the folks with tail gate assist installed?
why would it? the assist has nothing to do with the locking mechanism on the tailgate. So my guess would be no

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Never even thought of that, good question!

Now I have to see if I can find the stock limiter to put back on.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why would it? the assist has nothing to do with the locking mechanism on the tailgate. So my guess would be no

Not because it actually makes the tailgate open by itself, but because dealers might use any "modification" to deny the fix ?

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Fiat Chrysler is recalling about 1.1 million pickups in the U.S. to fix a defect that could result in their tailgates flying open while in motion.

The automaker issued a recall to fix the power-locking mechanisms in the tailgates of certain Ram pickup trucks.

The company said it had not identified any injuries or accidents connected to the defect.

The recall covers a portion of Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks from the 2015 through 2017 model years.

Pickups in that range with manual tailgate locking are not affected. Pickups with eight-foot cargo beds are also not affected.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/08/02/fiat-chrysler-ram-pickup-recall/887544002/
------

Strange they don't mention the 2018.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So I've never read and previous recalls but this one clearly states "In the US". I know for a fact my truck has done this a few times (I've only had it for a few months). Originally we just assumed we didn't close it properly a few times. But my question is, will us with Canadian RAMs get the shaft on this?

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This...plus, are the DT '19s coming with tailgate assist FROM THE FACTORY now?

TXCOMT

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had 2 recalls done supposedly. No way to really check what they did? Cruise recall done, tested immediately and all good so far, cruise works as intended.
Auto park done, got home to my spot I back into and opened the door and kept right on rolling. Went foreward and backward with door open, albeit slowly in case it slammed into park, and no autopark. Thank you service department

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not because it actually makes the tailgate open by itself, but because dealers might use any "modification" to deny the fix ?

That's what Mag-Moss is for...you could always remove the assist (a pain, I know, as I have one) but I seriously doubt an SA would give you static. If he does, escalate or find another dealer!

TXCOMT

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0

If anything, the Tailgate Assist makes it worse. I assume if you didn't have one you'd hear or feel a loud thump when the tailgate opened on it's own. With the Assist, it just gently lowers and your clueless (In my case I have a tonneau cover so I can't see my tailgate from inside the cab).

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

at this point it is a recall so its not a warranty claim that they can deny. However they would have to prove that the tailgate damper is causing the latch to malfunction to deny the fix(which they can't)

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anything, the Tailgate Assist makes it worse. I assume if you didn't have one you'd hear or feel a loud thump when the tailgate opened on it's own. With the Assist, it just gently lowers and your clueless (In my case I have a tonneau cover so I can't see my tailgate from inside the cab).

Same here, cant see my gate due to tool box and wouldnt ever hear it slam due to assist! Luckily I've never had a tailgate malfunction(knocks on wood)

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
at this point it is a recall so its not a warranty claim that they can deny. However they would have to prove that the tailgate damper is causing the latch to malfunction to deny the fix(which they can't)

Exactly...I wish more people read up about Mag-Moss and how it can offer options to those who need it!

TXCOMT

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
So I've never read and previous recalls but this one clearly states "In the US". I know for a fact my truck has done this a few times (I've only had it for a few months). Originally we just assumed we didn't close it properly a few times. But my question is, will us with Canadian RAMs get the shaft on this?
if you are still under bumper to bumper warranty get in and try to get it fixed before it is up