Redline 5w30 oil in 6.4 report...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hello gents, good morning,

I wanted to take a minute to give y'all a quick report on my experience with Redline 5w30 in the 6.4 hemi.

I originally tried the redline 5w40, which was too heavy in my opinion and seemed to cause a delay in building initial oil pressure, especially on colder days.

Acting on that, I tried the 0w40 redline which was an improvement, but still had some of the initial concerns with the 5w40 and some occasional cold start lifter tap. (Taps for a few seconds then goes away)

Then acting on advice from @Burla , I tried 5w30 redline this April during the annual service. I also went with a wix XP oil filter this time. Apparently, per burla, the 5w30 redline is of similar viscosity to 0w40 pup.

I'm very happy with the 5w30 redline and will be sticking with it going forward. I feel it's best redline oil all around for the hemi, 5.7 has been documented/results proven extensively by @Burla prior and also 6.4 based on my experience. Good initial oil pressure, good hot oil pressure, engine is quiet, very isolated cold start lifter tap, less than what I had with the 0w40 PUP and mopar filter

Granted, routine maintenance is key no matter what oil you prefer, there are many good options out there. This is just my experience and personal opinion.

Thank you @Burla for all the time and energy you put into the redline research. I appreciate and am now benefiting from it.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
5w30 & 5w40 oil flow of same brand i.e. RL should be the same at start or darn close to it, as for the 30 & 40 weight those numbers come in to play when oil is hot, 0w oil in theory should have better oil flow when cold then 5w oil, as for initial oil pressure did you use a separate oil pressure gauge or just engine computer given oil numbers? I would hazard a guess that the difference most likely has to do with oil filter used. JMO

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Used the dash oil pressure gauge.
If @Burla chimes in here, he'd confirm the 5w40 and even the 0w40 redline are thicker oils than 0w40 PUP. If I recall correctly he told me the 5w30 redline is close to the 0w40 PUP. He could tell you much better than I.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Eventhough redline is a very thick 0w40, surprising most of it shears in use. If you look at all of these examples, your 5w30 will likely be thicker then any of them in this uoa. The amount of vii's in these oils have them sheared down well below what redline starts at. If you look at hammers 3 reports on PUP 5w30 redline is plenty thicker then that through out the interval. I would however look at page 93 in the oil filter thread to consider other filters. My redline 5w30 uoa's are all about these numbers, even 2 years 10k miles. Look visc at 100. If you want to think about winter rated and flow, look at 40c on stat sheet. 5w30 will flow plenty better then 0w40 when it is cold.

0w40oil-jpg.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5w30 & 5w40 oil flow of same brand i.e. RL should be the same at start or darn close to it, as for the 30 & 40 weight those numbers come in to play when oil is hot, 0w oil in theory should have better oil flow when cold then 5w oil, as for initial oil pressure did you use a separate oil pressure gauge or just engine computer given oil numbers? I would hazard a guess that the difference most likely has to do with oil filter used. JMO
Using your example I will post those two oils viscosity when colder then operating temps, 100f. Now, the colder you get, the range will even grow larger, I will post a cold flow graph just fyi. All zero winter rating means is it flows best for THAT weight, not against other weights. Just copy and paste, as you see 5w30 flows best at 40c, now note the cold flow chart, the number becomes astronomical in the cold.

Redline 5w30
Vis @ 40°C, CSt71

Redline 0w40
Vis @ 40°C, CSt86

Redline 5w30
Vis @ 40°C, CSt97

se-typical-non-euro-5w30-synthetic-my-car-tdtgcetc.jpg

4kCoW4x.png

There is more detail in syn thread, more involved then I wanted to be. Glad it is working for OP, the science is that 5w30 redline is gonna flow well in cold, be stable throfguhout the interval, and be thicker then 0w40's at the end of an interval. Use whatever oil you wish, it is a solid choice for those who want to do it as 6.4 owners hemiman and kyle will tell you.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Using your example I will post those two oils viscosity when colder then operating temps, 100f. Now, the colder you get, the range will even grow larger, I will post a cold flow graph just fyi. All zero winter rating means is it flows best for THAT weight, not against other weights. Just copy and paste, as you see 5w30 flows best at 40c, now note the cold flow chart, the number becomes astronomical in the cold.

Redline 5w30
Vis @ 40°C, CSt71

Redline 0w40
Vis @ 40°C, CSt86

Redline 5w30
Vis @ 40°C, CSt97

View attachment 498701

View attachment 498702

There is more detail in syn thread, more involved then I wanted to be. Glad it is working for OP, the science is that 5w30 redline is gonna flow well in cold, be stable throfguhout the interval, and be thicker then 0w40's at the end of an interval. Use whatever oil you wish, it is a solid choice for those who want to do it as 6.4 owners hemiman and kyle will tell you.
Thanks for posting and sharing that detail to refresh my memory. Much appreciated.