Redline Oil - Which rating is best for the 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep checked out that Redline and yowzer is that stuff expensive..! A performance shop here wants $250 for a Redline oil change...not happening..The Penzoil Ultra Premium with Lubeguard will have to do..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline has priced themselves out of the preventative strategy market, there are many more reasons not to use it in a non hemi tick hemi then there is reasons to use it. Say that ten times fast. Keep in mind, once a hemi has hemi tick of any kind (lifter related), it doesnt matter what they want to charge for it, you would be a fool not to run it or another high performance oil such as HPL. That oil is simply keeping 100's pf hemi's out of the cam shop period. It not only kills hemi tick like nothing else, but those hemi's have yet to have any number of cam fails, one known case where we don't even know the particulars. A decade of trucks with hemi tick erased with an oil chnage and all of them not needing cams. Think about that for a minute, pick 100 rams that have hemi lifter tick, how many of that random group do you think would need a cam within the next decade? Yeah, zero? 1? No way? Yeah way. The results are in, it is no longer theory, redline 5w30 is a legitimate fix for hemi tick, even better then replacing the cam and lifters. That is exactly right, more hemi's tick after a cam/lifter replacement putting them at risk of fail then those trucks quieted by redline. Yeah, that oil costs double that of other oils, but a wise person once said you get what you pay for.

Like I said in sentence one, most rams this shouldnt be your strategy unless you have money like that, which I don't anymore, so if my own truck didnt tick I would not use it. So what to do then? Think upping the viscosity and/or using lubegard biotech. If that truck is out of warranty 5w30/0w40 with or without LG is the way to go. Guys running 5w20 in high mileage hemi's and nothing else are toying with a known issue, maybe it will work maybe not, but there is zero downside for using a 5w30/0w30 and all of the upside.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep - I still say one shouldn't wait for failure, and use Red Line or PUP + LubeGard from the get go with any Hemi engine. I get it - most Hemi's don't get the tick ick, that we know of, anyway.

But in classic engineering Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA), if the severity of the failure is bad enough, it outweighs fewer incidences and requires corrective action(s). This is a classic case of that. $9,500 full engine replacement plus being stranded (maybe) and loss of vehicle for who knows how long (definitely) far outweigh the cost of preventive super oil and filter. Especially since the probability of recurrence failure with the replacement engine is the same.

That's engineering analysis. I'm not trying to insist owners do anything. I'm just giving them free benefit of my decades of experience. I also take my own medicine.

And for Ram bashers, y'all can be happy replacing your Ford and GM transmissions.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep - I still say one shouldn't wait for failure, and use Red Line or PUP + LubeGard from the get go with any Hemi engine. I get it - most Hemi's don't get the tick ick, that we know of, anyway.

But in classic engineering Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA), if the severity of the failure is bad enough, it outweighs fewer incidences and requires correction action(s). This is a classic case of that. $9,500 full engine replacement plus being stranded (maybe) and loss of vehicle for who knows how long (definitely) far outweigh the cost of preventive super oil and filter. Especially since the probability of recurrence failure with the replacement engine is the same.

Totally agree, and it's the same strategy for why we run 0/5w-30 instead of 0/5w-20. Most trucks can run fine on 20 weight in that they'll never wear out before the rest of the truck, but the more you work your truck, the better chance you have of reducing wear by running the 30 weight.

I get the whole cost thing, but really it's only the difference b/n RL and oilX that matters. An extra $50 to $100/year is peanuts. Bonus points for probably getting a quieter engine all around regardless of tick.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, I feel for the guys running more than 2 OCI's per year, and since most of us here aren't rich, I'd be running PUP + Lubegard.

Since I'm now an old retired post-pandemic fart, I'm staying Red Line unless their pricing continues way above inflation, then I'll switch to HPL. As far as I know, HPL hasn't been bought out by a mega corporation like Red Line was.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
HPL is very active on bitog. Not only active, but quite transparent and not afraid to call their competitors product "great". For example, he (David) has tested/analyzed M1 0w-40 and said it is way too good for the price they sell it at.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I spoke with Dave on the phone. As far as I could tell, he's not a faker - he was conversant in all things lubrication and applications.
I can't recall exactly, but he might have said he was a big oil co. refugee, like me. Likely tired of the b.s. & cost squeezing. Hope he doesn't sell out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45