Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midloguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, 2004, Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5.7L, 128K miles. When starting out from the complete stop and going straight, all feels normal. When starting out into a turn, I get a slight shudder. Doesn't matter which way I'm turning. It's only there as the truck begins to accelerate, then gone. Don't feel it any other time.
Been racking my brain for what this could be. Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts on causes? Don't want to overlook something that I should be fixing now, not later.
Thanks.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Could be rear shocks. As you turn and take the traction off of the inside tire, it will slightly break loose and hop a little. Normally good shocks will counter this.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, 2004, Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5.7L, 128K miles. When starting out from the complete stop and going straight, all feels normal. When starting out into a turn, I get a slight shudder. Doesn't matter which way I'm turning. It's only there as the truck begins to accelerate, then gone. Don't feel it any other time.
Been racking my brain for what this could be. Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts on causes? Don't want to overlook something that I should be fixing now, not later.
Thanks.
My guess would be it's your limited slip differential. If your tires are pretty well worn, as you start while going around a corner the inside tire tries to slip. Pickups are light in the rear and going around a corner lifts some of the wt off the inside tire. The LSD comes into play at that point and you'll feel it as you describe. Both my Ram and my Dakota do it. I'd do 2 things: determine if your rear tires are getting thin, and check the fluid in the differential.

OP
OP
Midloguy

Midloguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the feedback. It's definitely not tire slippage. My tires are practically new and the truck is barely moving when I feel this. I will check the fluid level in the rear end though, just to be sure. So, do you think I can rule out the torque converter? I mean, it feels good when I stand the brakes and accelerate into it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a limited slip rear differential, probably either change the gear oil in it or at the very least add some mopar limited slip lube.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a 2003 that had the issue you describe. Hard to replicate, but then driving on highway one day it shuddered quickly. Turned out to be front bearing. Replaced left, 6 months later right, then right went bad again a few months later. My parents now have it 4 years on and no problems. Enjoying my new 2500. Good luck.

02Hank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l V8
I know exactly what you’re talking about. Happens to my 02 crew cab 4.7 every time I’m starting to roll from a stop with a tighter turn either left or right. I still haven’t pinpointed it perfectly (haven’t tried to fix it) but I’ve narrowed it to shifting leaf springs. I have quite a bit of sag in them so think this is related. I am 95% sure it’s NOT the differential. Only happens from moving from a stopped position. Ambient air temp affects the sound as well (hotter causes more) and there is also a slight feel to the studder/shake and as I straighten out it goes away. Exactly the same as mine.

OP
OP
Midloguy

Midloguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all, thanks for the feedback. I had the differential fluid changed a year ago when I bought the truck. I tow a 5000lb trailer, and didn't want to take any chances with the rear end wearing. The shudder was minor with the truck alone, but very pronounced with the trailer load. So, I did add the Mopar Limited Slip additive. Seems to have resolved the shudder. Amazing what 4oz of this stuff will do. And now I understand how this limited skip differential works.

Last edited: