Shut down on the interstate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
6.7 Cummins / Allison & 5.9 / NV4500
Hi all,
I need some suggestions please. I’ve already searched and read some similar issues others have had. Only one seems to be very similar to my problem that I read.

Last night at 2am my 2020 Ram 3500 Diesel (27k miles) towing my 1990 Dodge (Diesel Military Airport tug converted off road rig) shut down on the interstate. It is due for the pump recall but all the dealerships I’ve spoken to said the part isn’t available and just to keep driving the truck. I haven’t had any trouble with it. It’s never had any symptoms that something may be going wrong. At 70 on the highway it flashed Exhaust Service Required, See Dealer and shut down. I almost didn’t get it in to the emergency lane. Before this happened, and recently, I have noticed the exhaust regen never has gone back to 100%. Every time I’ve looked at it, it’s been low percentages. But I’ve read if it is really a exhaust thing it will still run just in limp mode / reduced power.

After shutting down It will now turn over and act like it’s trying to catch / start but never starts. Of course, as I’m sure is the same for everyone, it’s the worst possible timing ever. I wound up having to unload my off road rig and load up my 2020 on the trailer and drag it home (a one hour trip becoming a 4 hour trip so I didn’t damage my 90).

Complicating the issue are my recent health problems and losing the majority of my tools in a house fire.

Any suggestions and/or a good Dodge Northside of Atlanta dealership would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sure sounds like the CP4 pump failed, classics symptoms. Being that it failed you should get priority on parts but there still may be a wait. Don't know any dealers north of ATL so don't have any suggestions there?

Best of luck to you

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
Sure sounds like the CP4 pump failed, classics symptoms. Being that it failed you should get priority on parts but there still may be a wait. Don't know any dealers north of ATL so don't have any suggestions there?

Best of luck to you

Ok. Thank you. I thought this might be the case. I’ll have to roll the dice and pick a dealership based on google reviews. My day started like the first picture and ended with the second picture. I’m sure I got some funny looks on the interstate. A one hour trip back home took 4 hours. I guess I should be grateful I didn’t have to deal with multiple tow trucks to tow all my junk back home. But Ofcourse my 90 is acting up now too.

Attachments

• E1C97DE6-10D1-4918-A8AC-9D4A0E986014.jpeg
    E1C97DE6-10D1-4918-A8AC-9D4A0E986014.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 83C3C1D6-37F9-4502-AA1B-B28F66B2E736.jpeg
    83C3C1D6-37F9-4502-AA1B-B28F66B2E736.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 26

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry about your luck but I have to say that is one beautiful 90! Man I'm jealous of that rig! Wish I was closer I'd run out and help you out (I'm down near Macon).

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
Sorry about your luck but I have to say that is one beautiful 90! Man I'm jealous of that rig! Wish I was closer I'd run out and help you out (I'm down near Macon).

Thanks man. I can’t take credit for it. It was built by Pacific Coast Fab & Fred Williams the host of dirt every day. It’s a pretty special rig. It’s been on Ultimate Adventure twice & survived. It’s been to SEMA, and it’s been on Dirt Every Day a few times. Dave Chappell the co-host of dirt every day said it’s had the cool catalog shaken out on it and got everything. Heh. There are a couple episodes of dirt every day about it, the build, and the adventures it’s been on. It started life as a military airport tug before having the frame stretched and a military trailer used as the bed.

If you’re bored search “tug truck” on YouTube. That will bring up some cool videos about it and the build.

It’s losing its prime - lift pump is probably failing, thermostat is sticking… everything always breaks at the same time….!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I read about some others that have had fuel pump issues.
Ram has sent out some recalls, but they don't have anything currently in the supply chain.
Some owners have been desperate & went & bought a pump from a source outside of the chain of Dodge Dealerships.
Dodge has decided that if you go outside of their system, you will not be reimbursed.
( that truly sounds unfair )

I seem to remember that the Mopar Warranty states that you are covered if you use a Mopar Authorized Facility.
How you would find a list of Authorized Facilities, i don't know.

Then again, if that Authorized Facility would be under the 3 year Bumper to Bumper Warranty, or the Mopar Extended Warranty Plan

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
Ram has sent out some recalls, but they don't have anything currently in the supply chain.
Some owners have been desperate & went & bought a pump from a source outside of the chain of Dodge Dealerships.
Dodge has decided that if you go outside of their system, you will not be reimbursed.

I seem to remember that the Mopar Warranty states that you are covered if you use a Mopar Authorized Facility.

Then again, if that Authorized Facility would be under the 3 year Bumper to Bumper Warranty, or the Mopar Extended Warranty Plan
Sounds pretty disheartening. I’ve been reading some of the other horror stories since I posted this thread. I’m just like these other folks stuck with a car note and a broken truck. I’ve been wanting to trade it in or sell it and get a older pre-def dodge and wish I would have moved quicker now. I’m trying to understand why the parts would be available for retail sale somewhere but a big company like Dodge doesn’t have them available. Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll post up what the dealer says Monday…

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Just to elaborate on this...

When they first announced the issue and prior to having parts they (Ram) was reimbursing to have a CP3 pump installed. Now that they have a solution and parts they are denying those claims so I would not go down that road unless you have it in writing they will pay you. It's going to be hit or miss

Being that his failed he should get priority on parts but normally the dealers are only allocated x number of pumps a week/month.

Now the bad part is, since his failed it could have sent metal through the fuel system so it will most likely require more then just the pump. Possibly injectors, fuel lines etc. They have a inspection procedure to follow that will tell them how bad the failure is.

I would also reach out to @RamCares to see if they can help expedite it. I'm sure the dealer will need to diagnose it first but it has all the symptoms of the fuel pump failing.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you’re bored search “tug truck” on YouTube. That will bring up some cool videos about it and the build.

It’s losing its prime - lift pump is probably failing, thermostat is sticking… everything always breaks at the same time….!

I looked it up on youtube, looks like the previous owner had about the same luck when he delivered it to you! Well, if you ever get sick of it you know who to contact. Lol

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just to elaborate on this...

When they first announced the issue and prior to having parts they (Ram) was reimbursing to have a CP3 pump installed. Now that they have a solution and parts they are denying those claims so I would not go down that road unless you have it in writing they will pay you. It's going to be hit or miss

Being that his failed he should get priority on parts but normally the dealers are only allocated x number of pumps a week/month.

Now the bad part is, since his failed it could have sent metal through the fuel system so it will most likely require more then just the pump. Possibly injectors, fuel lines etc. They have a inspection procedure to follow that will tell them how bad the failure is.

I would also reach out to @RamCares to see if they can help expedite it. I'm sure the dealer will need to diagnose it first but it has all the symptoms of the fuel pump failing.

Thank you so much for tagging us in this!

@mtnrider please send us a direct message so that we can look into this for you!

Callie
Ram Cares

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Really sorry about your truck. I'm glad this didn't cause what could have been a terrible accident. I also have that infamous CP4.2 pump in my 2019. I've had the Recall Notice for about a year now, but the dealership keeps telling me the same thing. It's dangerous what happened to you at 70mph on an Interstate. I'd say there will be major liability for some unfortunate one, ending up dead, and maybe others, too. FCA would face a mega million lawsuit.

But this is why I continue to use the Lucas Cetane Power Booster since getting the 3500, and at a very high ratio of one ounce per gallon of diesel. And 3 ounces of Diesel StaBil to every tank. Both came recommended by a Cummins tech friend for this CP4.2 issue. I only have 15K on mine.

But after reading your post I may be staying one in the far right lanes whenever I am on the Interstate. I don't often go to Phoenix but when I do it's insane there, especially with all the California folk who have of late invaded AZ.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
After having been told by the Dealership, both verbally and in writing, that there is nothing they can do, today I contacted my legal assistance program to be put in touch with a consumer protection attorney. This CP4.2 pump issue is too dangerous to mess around anymore. Let them deal with my attorney. I don't use this legal program much, but it's nice to know it's there when I need it. Comes with my CalPers retirement benefits.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After having been told by the Dealership, both verbally and in writing, that there is nothing they can do, today I contacted my legal assistance program to be put in touch with a consumer protection attorney. This CP4.2 pump issue is too dangerous to mess around anymore. Let them deal with my attorney. I don't use this legal program much, but it's nice to know it's there when I need it. Comes with my CalPers retirement benefits.

Keep us posted and I wish you luck but I honestly don't see that going too far. They have already acknowledged the issue, opened a NHTSB investigation (which is now closed) and are working a solution. You have a 95% chance it will Not fail based on the data. You are basing a case on "what if's" and that's going to be tough.

Again, I wish you luck but I have a feeling they will come back and say they can't do much for you in this situation. If it had already failed and was sitting at a dealer for months that may be a different story, different type of case.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The problem with the 2019's is if you already have the emission update code installed in your truck it will not play nice with the new code they need to install when they replace the old pump ( I've read its causing big problems with ECU as in bricking them) so until they find a workaround all 2019 with the prior updates installed will have to wait until code monkey's find a fix, I've also read that those who did not get those updates are able to get the CP4.2 pump replaced....

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I found this photo of the part that fails in the CP4.2. There is nothing in the design to prevent that plunger with the small roller in it from rotating. And once it does rotate, it locks in place there.... and look what happens to it and the aggressive cam lobe on that bar, and the catastrophic damage. Eh gads. This is a nightmare.

Attachments

• A Failed Bosch CP4.2 fuel pump.jpg
    A Failed Bosch CP4.2 fuel pump.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 11

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ram will be eating it if it was the CP4.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01