Small leak (?) bottom of transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Noticed, what looks like a small leak on the bottom of transmission where it bolts to the engine. Never large enough to drip on the ground. Tried wiping it dry, but it would reappear after driving 10 miles or so. No matter whether it's raining or sunshine. Dries by itself after sitting overnight. Feels more like oily water.
2019 5.7 Classic.

IMG_0588.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Rear main starting to go maybe?

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hope not. Truck only has 10k miles on it.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dropped the truck off at the dealer yesterday after they closed. They called next morning, saying they couldn't find the leak. Like I mentioned earlier, it dries up after a few hours. Will take it back to the dealer next week.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Seems awfully weird for that low miles.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know...also wonder if that's some sort of condensation making it's way to that spot.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
It's possible. I mean the best option is keep driving it and see what happens. They already have a service record on file for the concern so I'd just drive it.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, I'll keep an eye on it. It's just one of those nagging things...
Thanks for trying to help Brandon- w!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
No problem. I'm the same way when it comes to leaks and stuff.

Dpressed1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Noticed, what looks like a small leak on the bottom of transmission where it bolts to the engine. Never large enough to drip on the ground. Tried wiping it dry, but it would reappear after driving 10 miles or so. No matter whether it's raining or sunshine. Dries by itself after sitting overnight. Feels more like oily water.
2019 5.7 Classic.

View attachment 207820

Engine oil pan gasket from rear end most likely. Where the rear main cover meets the block, it has a small dab of rtv and seeps through there if not properly applied. Not very common but we do get them once in a while at the dealer. Also sometimes its just oil residue from the assembly line.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Dropped the truck off at the dealer yesterday after they closed. They called next morning, saying they couldn't find the leak. Like I mentioned earlier, it dries up after a few hours. Will take it back to the dealer next week.

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing, @NOV87. Please know that I would be more than happy to get a case escalated on your behalf for an additional layer of support as you address this with your dealer. Our team is just a private message away to get the process started.

Mark
RamCares

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Could also be front pump seal. The 8 speed fluid looks very similar to engine oil. It already has a dye in it. So if it glows with a black light it’s likely the front pump seal.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Oil doesn't dry up.
Good point. So, today the truck was left at the dealer for them to troubleshoot. Service advisor suspects bad rear main seal. We'll know more tomorrow.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Word from the dealer:
Pump seal in the tranny bell housing.
I think that's what Tach_tech said, two posts above (!)
Dealership said we should get the truck back by the weekend.
We'll see how it goes.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just to give you boys and girls an update. Brought the truck from the dealership, no leaks found. Drove to the coast and back, no issues, no leaks. Two day later, looked under transmission again and sure enough, the dripping is there again, ugh....
Spoke with the dealership mechanic and he suggested to drive it for a couple of weeks, to purge/dry out possible residual liquid. If still there they may have to replace the transmission...it's 2019 classic with 11k miles on it. :emotions122:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just to give you boys and girls an update. Brought the truck from the dealership, no leaks found. Drove to the coast and back, no issues, no leaks. Two day later, looked under transmission again and sure enough, the dripping is there again, ugh....
Spoke with the dealership mechanic and he suggested to drive it for a couple of weeks, to purge/dry out possible residual liquid. If still there they may have to replace the transmission...it's 2019 classic with 11k miles on it. :emotions122:
Residual??? They pulled the tranny and replaced the seal and couldn't wipe the leaked fluid off??? Sound pretty shoddy to me.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
No doubt shoddy! Little bit of brake cleans goes a long way! Little wipe with the rag to get it shiny and done. I guess that's what it is when you pay a tech flat rate to do a job that sometimes isn't as easy is the book makes it seem. Something aboit working for free after x amount of time chaps my ass. Want quality work pay your guys hourly. Ever notice how aircraft engineers are hourly? If they weren't there'd be alot more crashes. Just sayin.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I hear you...what the tech said, he couldn't reach under the torque converter, to give it a good clean, so maybe that's where the residual fluid is collected...
Interesting detail, the truck was parked on flat surface for two nights after the repair and no leaks. On the third day it was parked on our driveway (minor slope) overnight, that's when we noticed the drip again. Not sure, if that has anything to do with it or just the fact that it is a very slow leak and takes a while to collect.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I hear you...what the tech said, he couldn't reach under the torque converter, to give it a good clean, so maybe that's where the residual fluid is collected...
Interesting detail, the truck was parked on flat surface for two nights after the repair and no leaks. On the third day it was parked on our driveway (minor slope) overnight, that's when we noticed the drip again. Not sure, if that has anything to do with it or just the fact that it is a very slow leak and takes a while to collect.
That's bullcrap. To replace the front seal you have to remove the torque converter so here's the secret to doing right, when he removed the converter to replace the seal, he should wipe it then BEFORE he puts it back on... Just sayin' :rolleyes: