Smoke while gunning it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurtis West

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How yall doing?

I've got an 07 1500 5.7 4x4 approximately 180k miles.

I've noticed maybe 3 times now over a 6month duration that while cruising at highway speeds 70mph 5th gear OD and MDS engaged then gunning it (dropping into 3rd gear mds deactivated) that I get a very small amount of smoke out of the exhaust. I cant tell the color really.

I know I've got a minor oil consumption (which apparently 1qt per 2k miles is "within spec"

My coolant levels are straight, no overheating, power is still good, etc.

I'm due for spark plugs and have the notorious hemi tick as well.

What can be the likely culprit?
I'd be leaning towards oil blow by maybe simply due to consumption.

Any real concerns?

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guessing worn rings, keep running it.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How yall doing?

I've got an 07 1500 5.7 4x4 approximately 180k miles.

I've noticed maybe 3 times now over a 6month duration that while cruising at highway speeds 70mph 5th gear OD and MDS engaged then gunning it (dropping into 3rd gear mds deactivated) that I get a very small amount of smoke out of the exhaust. I cant tell the color really.

I know I've got a minor oil consumption (which apparently 1qt per 2k miles is "within spec"

My coolant levels are straight, no overheating, power is still good, etc.

I'm due for spark plugs and have the notorious hemi tick as well.

What can be the likely culprit?
I'd be leaning towards oil blow by maybe simply due to consumption.

Any real concerns?
Mine uses about the same amount. Mine at wot will have a slight trail of smoke an mine has about 50k miles less, but it has been ridden hard an put away wet quite a bit in the last decade lol. I’m just gonna ride with it at this point lol