Snow Tires on rear only, 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
My 2018 manual says not to put snow tires on just the rear because of handling concerns so I am looking for opinions for my 2wd Bighorn. I live in snow country and want to drive this truck whenever possible as its much nicer than my old Wrangler or my 2000 Cummins and don't want to buy 4 just for the winter. Any Ram drivers **** this and is it really an issue?

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Snow tires on the rear will help get you going, but snow tires on the front will help slow you down and help maintain control. Do a full set, you wont regret it

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah -- definitely do not buy 2. Most reputable tire shops probably wouldn't even sell or mount only 2. Find a cheap set of steelies or used alloy wheels on Craiglist. Buy the winter tires when DTD has their next big sale.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I had a F150 2x2 years ago and ran only 2 snows with no real issues ! I have a 4x4 Quad cab and have 4 snows and run 2x2 99% of the time and they are a big plus !I also have a Little front wheel drive HHR with 4 snows recommended as well and YES worth it ! Cheaper to buy 2 more snows the fix the banged up truck

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Snows on the rear only is going to be an upgrade over running with 4 all seasons IMO. Like said, you are not going to get the most out of handling and braking without them on the front, but it will still be better than with just all seasons.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 manual says not to put snow tires on just the rear because of handling concerns so I am looking for opinions for my 2wd Bighorn. I live in snow country and want to drive this truck whenever possible as its much nicer than my old Wrangler or my 2000 Cummins and don't want to buy 4 just for the winter. Any Ram drivers **** this and is it really an issue?

Do all 4, you need to be able to steer in the ice and snow

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Buy all four as described above. The downside of winter rated tires is they wear fast on dry pavement. The upside is you can drive well on ice and snow. Remember that if you buy all four and only use them in the winter, they will last you several years and keep miles off your non-winter tires.

Tire Rack will sell you a set of 4 Blizzaks on steel wheels for about $1150. Go to their site and look at your options and use them for comparison shopping if you like.

I'll bet the extra few hundred would look like a good buy when you skidding off an icy road due to poor handling.

OP
OP
M

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
Thank everyone, I think I'll look for 2 wheels and change all 4.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can save money by skipping the TPMS sensors on the winter set. I've done this in the past (with 3 different vehicles). I lived with a light for a few months, and just make sure to check them (often) with an ol' fashioned tire gauge.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Tire gauge???????? They still make those things?????? I thought they may have gone away just like paper maps-----LOL

Us older guys will see the humor in this----
Jay
I still have a sh/tload of paper maps. Never once in real bad weather or under tree/mountain cover did the ink disappear off the paper.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hell, I still have a globe made in 1955. Tried to find Vietnam once. Nope. Indo China is what the area was called. Paper maps have same problem...eventually.

Who remembers pulling into an Esso station and just asking the guy checking your oil and washing your window for a free state map?

OP
OP
M

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
Hell, I still have a globe made in 1955. Tried to find Vietnam once. Nope. Indo China is what the area was called. Paper maps have same problem...eventually.

Who remembers pulling into an Esso station and just asking the guy checking your oil and washing your window for a free state map?
I was the guy checking your oil and washing your windshield and giving out free maps. Yes, to all too young to remember this, its true. Nobody locked there doors even when no one was home and bicycle locks did not exist.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Your manual actually said this???
There is a reason it now ILLEGAL for tire stores to only install (2) snow tires...because around s bend the other two tires will give way, and you will wreck. Nitto ridge grapplers seem to be good snow tires like the Goodyear duratracs, and you can run them year round. That’s my advice.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, well the manufacturers say that now to cover their ass because the ABS and stability control systems may not work to their full potential with mis-matched tires on the vehicle.

I guess I'm just used to how it was 30+ years ago. Before the days of ABS, front wheel drive and everybody having 4x4 or AWD, I knew no one who put snow tires on the front of a RWD car or truck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I was the guy checking your oil and washing your windshield and giving out free maps. Yes, to all too young to remember this, its true. Nobody locked there doors even when no one was home and bicycle locks did not exist.

got LOTS of family that never lock their doors. Someone might need to get in.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

In the old days, we only put shoes on the back. What changed ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanD