So many decisions ...so confused? LED vs HID vs OEM Headhlight Bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys,

I have a 2015 RAM 1500 SPORT with stock projector headlights. my low beam bulb went out so i figure go ahead and replace both low beam bulbs.

The lighting on the OEM bulbs that come stock suck. I was looking to upgrade to something brighter without the hassle of doing all this extra modificaitons or dealing with error codes.

I am okay with sticking with just OEM replacment bulb, just wondering if there is a specific brand or part number our there i should get?

Also not opposed to HID or LED, just ONLY what will work in my finicky 2015.

Thanks

gambler1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would like to know this also, stock bulbs are very dim.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I have learned here, our factory projectors run good with HID's in the low beam projectors and LED's in the high beams and fogs. I went with GTR 55 watt 6k HID's and GTR CSP 6k mini LED's in the highs and fogs. I have been happy so far.

OP
OP
rubes7202

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I have learned here, our factory projectors run good with HID's in the low beam projectors and LED's in the high beams and fogs. I went with GTR 55 watt 6k HID's and GTR CSP 6k mini LED's in the highs and fogs. I have been happy so far.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, but your truck is a 2017 right? 2015s are finicky and are prone to throwing error codes. Did you have to do anything special or just swapped them out?

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've gathered you get far more light output from projector headlamps with HID kits. However they have draw backs, for most you have to cut the dust cover on your lights and mount a ballast. There is also a warm up time for HID kits and I don't really know how they stand up to bad weather like ice and snow. LED on the other hand will give you inferior light output, but many can fit behind the dust covers and usually use small anti flicker modules that fit within the projector housing. Be cautious about finding a canbus compatible set of LEDs or HIDs, the various threads on here about headlight bulbs have suggested different ones that work.

I have heard Phillips Crystalvision being thrown around as a good halogen bulb if you want to stick with the simplest replacement. But I really don't know how much brighter they are than stock.

OP
OP
rubes7202

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've gathered you get far more light output from projector headlamps with HID kits. However they have draw backs, for most you have to cut the dust cover on your lights and mount a ballast. There is also a warm up time for HID kits and I don't really know how they stand up to bad weather like ice and snow. LED on the other hand will give you inferior light output, but many can fit behind the dust covers and usually use small anti flicker modules that fit within the projector housing. Be cautious about finding a canbus compatible set of LEDs or HIDs, the various threads on here about headlight bulbs have suggested different ones that work.

I have heard Phillips Crystalvision being thrown around as a good halogen bulb if you want to stick with the simplest replacement. But I really don't know how much brighter they are than stock.

THANKS, I think i am going to go with OEM safe halogen bulbs. I found these good ones that give out really good bright light and have good customer ratings.

SYLVANIA - 9012 (HIR2) SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb - Bright White Light Output, HID Attitude, Xenon Fueled Technology

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073HT33G1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A34S9YB3BSKI4F&psc=1

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've gone to Philips Nightguide and Wagner Night Defense for everything for years now. Significantly more light than the OE bulbs but very low glare, don't make my eyes as tired on all night drives.

If you want any recommendation those are what I can offer.

Last edited:

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can find GE Megalight +130 in whatever size bulb you need, get those. The blue tinted bulbs actually diminish output pretty significantly. They may appear brighter because they’re whiter, but distance vision will suffer.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, but your truck is a 2017 right? 2015s are finicky and are prone to throwing error codes. Did you have to do anything special or just swapped them out?

If you go to headlight revolutions website they have the gtr kits with all the canbus modules included to prevent codes being thrown.

The site is easy to navigate as you put in year of truck and what you want and it says “projector led hi beam kit” or “led protector low beam kit”. From what I’ve understood on here as well is their low beam kit led kit is actually has really good light thrown down the road. It’s pricey. But highest quality and error code free without flickering from what I gathered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
After years of dealing with HIDs (bulbs and ballasts going out; etc.) I recently switched to Diode Dynamics SL1 LED bulbs in my ‘16 Ram Laramie - very happy with them! The bulb and canbus module both fit inside the projector housing, so no need to drill a hole in the dust cover. Have had them installed in the Ram for a few months now with no flickering or error messages on dash. Liked them so much in the Ram that I installed them in my ‘19 Scat Pack Charger with same great results.

Having run both HIDs and now LEDs in the Ram, I can say that the light output of the HIDs was better than the current LEDs, but the LEDs are hella better than the stock halogens! I also notice that no one flashes their brights at me since I installed the LEDs, which tells me they function better in the projector housings (less scatter than the HIDs).

Nathan Cole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi Guys,

I have a 2015 RAM 1500 SPORT with stock projector headlights. my low beam bulb went out so i figure go ahead and replace both low beam bulbs.

The lighting on the OEM bulbs that come stock suck. I was looking to upgrade to something brighter without the hassle of doing all this extra modificaitons or dealing with error codes.

I am okay with sticking with just OEM replacment bulb, just wondering if there is a specific brand or part number our there i should get?

Also not opposed to HID or LED, just ONLY what will work in my finicky 2015.

Thanks
I like my H.I.D,. lights a lot. The only problem is that they can be blinding at times. I was pulled over just last Friday by a cop who was "blinded" by them. I have had them for a while and they are really effective. I suggest running HID low beams with LED high beams. You can also just run LEDS for the low beams if you want an easier installation and you will have very similar results. These days comparing LED vs. HID lights is just splitting hairs as far as visibility goes.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like my H.I.D,. lights a lot. The only problem is that they can be blinding at times. I was pulled over just last Friday by a cop who was "blinded" by them. I have had them for a while and they are really effective. I suggest running HID low beams with LED high beams. You can also just run LEDS for the low beams if you want an easier installation and you will have very similar results. These days comparing LED vs. HID lights is just splitting hairs as far as visibility goes.

U have reflector or projector housing?

Nathan Cole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
U have reflector or projector housing?

On my main truck I am running reflector but then our other truck has projectors with HID lights which were shining right into the cops face because he was on top of a hill I was driving up LOL. I prefer reflectors honestly. Both running HID 5000k

Last edited:

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a Morimoto Elite HID kit 50w 6500k I need to put in low beam. Then wanna get LED for high beams.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please never drive anywhere I will be driving at night.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please never drive anywhere I will be driving at night.

?

In the projector housing this is not a blinding light. Nothing like when people throw HID bulbs in reflector housing.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
?

In the projector housing this is not a blinding light. Nothing like when people throw HID bulbs in reflector housing.

Don't waste your time trying to convince him...someone has very sensitive eyes and refuses to let others have adequate lighting without getting a stern talking to, or at least some pointless comment.

Yes we will all look out for you at night, should we be in Arizona. And will be sure to steer clear of you as to not blind you.

Meanwhile, 4 months in on my LEDs in my lows and fogs, properly aimed, and not high beamed once by any oncoming traffic.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope I'm not hijacking or distracting from the intention of this thread. I too have a 2015 Ram with projectors and am looking for better performing low beams. Specifically, they should be: 1) brighter (yet still properly focused), 2) as reliable and long lasting as OEM halogen (or close), 3) simple installation with minimal to zero modification. I'm not very concerned about cost. If it's done right, cost simply can't be that bad.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope I'm not hijacking or distracting from the intention of this thread. I too have a 2015 Ram with projectors and am looking for better performing low beams. Specifically, they should be: 1) brighter (yet still properly focused), 2) as reliable and long lasting as OEM halogen (or close), 3) simple installation with minimal to zero modification. I'm not very concerned about cost. If it's done right, cost simply can't be that bad.

If I went led I would go with these...
https://headlightrevolution.com/201...gle-beam-led-9005-low-beam-bulbs-upgrade-v-4/

Otherwise

HID conversion kit is likely most done upgrade.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
?

please don’t get him started. He does this in every lighting thread and you won’t change his mind. Just tell him “sure bud” and go about your business.

Last edited: