Soft covers - theft a problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelReaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a soft cover, I don't regularly leave extremely valuable items in there, but I have before. At least overnight.

Most, not all, but most people stealing things are stealing something they know is there, having your truck bed covered and items not visible deters most criminals because the more damage they do the greater the chance of getting caught.

Bottom line for me is I could get in most hard covers with a hammer, if somebody wants in they are going to get in whether it's a hard or soft cover. Just my opinion and not saying anybody else is wrong. I like the convenience and easy removal of my soft cover.

Cheers

392heminut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
IMO if they want in, they are gonna get in. Hard or soft. They will destroy either one in no time if someone really wants to.
As a retired police officer, I agree with this statement 100%!

My one experience with a soft cover was on my 2016 Ram. I was at a hotel in El Paso by the airport and when I came out to my truck the next morning the soft top was literally pried lose from the bed! The idiot(s) that broke in didn't even have enough sense to just cut the top to gain access, they pried it up on both sides and the back. My insurance covered the soft cover and and all 3 bed rail covers which were torn up. There was nothing in the bed at the time.

I don't use any kind of bed cover now on my 2022 Ram 3500. I have an auxiliary fuel tank in the front of the bed and a bed cover won't fit over it.

dsword

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It’s not always about security. I live in Wisconsin and for me it’s about snow load. I’ve had them sagging badly under a wet, heavy snow and some of them got a little stretched and saggy.

My last three trucks have had aluminum roll up tonneau covers. These can take up a bit of the bed space especially when wanting to load something up against the front of the bed. But for me it’s a trade-off.

Good luck with your tonneau hunt!

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, they will get it no matter hard or soft. I
IMO if they want in, they are gonna get in. Hard or soft. They will destroy either one in no time if someone really wants to.
have been using soft on my two trucks for over 8:years now. Never a theft of any kind in all sorts of locations.

nightruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram SLT 3500
Engine
Cummings
Have had a soft cover (Low Pro from Tuxedo) on my 3500 diesel for 5 years with no problems. Like everyone said if they want it they’re going to get it. But it’s definitely easier with a soft cover. Maybe it’s better to let you know likes and dislikes.
1. I like the smoothness of the look. Mine does not flap in the wind.
2. I like the very small profile when you roll it up.
3. Does not leak at all when I wash it or in heavy rain storms.
4. Very low profile inside the bed with nothing sticking out or overhang in the bed.

Dislike:
1. It does cross my mind of putting anything of real value for a long period of time. I don’t have to really worry about that cause I’ve never had cause to leave anything of value in the bed for a long period of time.
2. The big one for me is rolling it up and down in the heat. The cover gets so soft it is difficult to roll. Mine is still in fantastic shape but that could be a deal breaker if I ever have to buy a new one.

hope this helps in your decision.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I go with soft covers. why? I had a hard cover on a previous GMC 1500 i had. My impression 9f it was that it would take a thief about 10 seconds with a crowbar or maybe 30 seconds with a screw driver to get past it. With a soft cover, they would just take a knife to it wich would avoid other damage to the truck. That's based on my sample size of one hard cover I owned. Maybe others are better? I got it mostly because I liked the look of it.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I have covers on all my trucks . I feel the hard cover is very secure compared to the other two trucks they are vinyl covers. I have even thought about selling the hard cover . Personally in 30 plus yrs I have only had one problem and that is when a tree limb went thru the cover. I like vinyl covers and have found that even when they say they cover it for lifetime warranty they do NOT back their words up. That cover has threadscoming apart and seals coming off.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have any experience with newer hard covers but 10 years ago it didn't take much force with a flat head screw driver to rotate the entire lock core and open them. My current truck (ram 1500 with RT badges) has a snap on bed cover, and I've parked in some high crime cities and not had any issues. I'll probably get a hard cover when this one wears out because the snaps are a pain in the ass, but I'm also thinking about a roll up one because of how I keep the cover off for most of the summer and don't want to have to find a storage spot for a hard cover.

DeanM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I looked at both soft tops,tri fold hard tops and those tonneau covers and went with a tonneau cover at first but didn't like the accessibility of it the more you moved to the front of the box. So I gave that away and ended up with a soft top as I saw a few with the tri fold covers when open they were either sticking up half way up the rear window or covering a small portion of the box which isn't really a big deal but not what I liked. The soft top I have has velcro on each side and i like the fact you roll it up and doesn't obscure anything. When its closed you can't open it until you open the tailgate. Mines on a 2016 Ram sport. No issues with anyone trying to get into it but like someone mentioned if they did want to there wouldn't be much damage other than the cover.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used Tri-Fold soft cover for yrs. Over 10 to be exact. First what expensive "valuables" does the average person carry in a pick up bed? Second is a hard cover really all that much secure? I mean think about it..Truck cabs are broke into every day!!! Surely a $1500-$2000+ hard cover can be broke into!! If someone knew you had valuables under the that hard cover it is still more accessible than your cab! And third, occasionally I like to remove my soft tri-fold cover for ease of loading the bed uncovered. I guarantee it's much easier to remove my trip-fold soft than a big heavy cumbersome hard cover. Durability? I can buy 3 Soft covers for the price of one hard cover. Remember , none are 100% water tight.....JMHO, kind of like the hundreds of 3/4 T and 1T diesel owners out there that tow 5000 trailers 3 times a yr!!!! Makes them feel good! LOL. to each their own.

Lockie5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
I don't see any point in the soft covers. I went with the Bak Revolver x4s and don't regret it one bit. My bed usually has work items in it, though I'm just a painter, so cheaper tools than a lot of trades.
I Need some painting done Crispy. Good painters are worth their $$

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at the different cover options and am wondering about hard vs soft and theft occurrence. I am leaning toward soft (tri-fold) for cost - but am worried about the ease of boneheads cutting the vinyl open and stealing. Or even just the ___hole factor of vandals. For those that went with the soft bed covers, how many have had or heard about theft/vandalism? My budget is tight now. Am I worrying about theft for nothing if it rarely happens? I am not in a high crime area - but - I do travel and would worry about being parked at night.
I have a hard cover. But if someone wants in there there in. Most r not that secure I haven’t lost my stuff yet but simply out of sight out of mind

Lubeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a bak flip hard trifold for a couple of years. A screw driver would’ve easily popped it open. The latches didn’t hold up that well. I’d do a soft cover next time and save $$. Its like your house. It doesn’t matter how many locks you put on the door when they can just break a window.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of all the people I've known with soft covers, the only damage that's been realized is by the owners themselves sliding things into them or closing the cover on them.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99008 miles.

Left-lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand this forum to be soliciting opinions about softcover security. The point has been made many times that it depends on what you carry in the bed and even the hardcovers can be compromised. I'd like to add a slightly different slant. For myself, I'm newly on my third truck and will likely get a trifold because I use the truck to transport my yard tools between locations and leave those tools while staying at a vacation cottage (tey'd cost around $1000 to replace). Additionally, I often carry luggage and other "stuff" like a bike in the bed and stop overnight at a motel or two. It gives me peace of mind to have had roll top hard covers and no security issues with those. This time I want to also use the trifold carry capacity to increase the amount I can carry with a flexible tie-down carrier. Some trifolds can support 300-400 pounds which will allow me to double the storage.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I understand this forum to be soliciting opinions about softcover security. The point has been made many times that it depends on what you carry in the bed and even the hardcovers can be compromised. I'd like to add a slightly different slant. For myself, I'm newly on my third truck and will likely get a trifold because I use the truck to transport my yard tools between locations and leave those tools while staying at a vacation cottage (tey'd cost around $1000 to replace). Additionally, I often carry luggage and other "stuff" like a bike in the bed and stop overnight at a motel or two. It gives me peace of mind to have had roll top hard covers and no security issues with those. This time I want to also use the trifold carry capacity to increase the amount I can carry with a flexible tie-down carrier. Some trifolds can support 300-400 pounds which will allow me to double the storage.
If the roll-top hard covers give you peace of mind, why are you now getting a tri-fold?

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Locks only keep honest people honest. If you have a hard cover, a **** head can just bust it open with a good pry bar in a few seconds. Door locks don't prevent people from smashing windows. if they want to get in your sh*t, they'll get in. I'd spring for a higher quality soft tonneau vs a cheap hard tonneau if budget was a major concern.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
First Tonneau Cover I've ever had came with my 2500, trifold hard Cover. Grew to really like it but missed my Toolbox that I still had from F-250 I came from - was almost new when I sold it. I hated the folding of hard cover as it gets heavier with each fold as you open it, as i typically dont climb up into truck to open it - which is easier. So I found a soft that let's me keep my Toolbox as well. Rolls from one side with one person while standing next to truck and has support bars in it to keep from flapping at highway speeds.

Here's the to one I bought made by Access 64179. https://www.accesscover.com/toolbox/

Good luck with your decision, certainly lots of choices here.

Last edited: