Sounds like I have a supercharger (2013 5.7)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin32732

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bought my 2013 5.7 express 2 years ago with 46k miles on it, now it has 65k on it now. I have had this annoying whine (very similar to a supercharger) coming from I believe the upper engine area (not sure) I took it to the dealer and go figure “truck sounds great to us” the truck will begin to whine after 1k and get louder whenever I give it more throttle in park, neutral, reverse and drive between 1k rpm’s and 2700. After 2700 I no longer can here it because of the exhaust. It’s done this noise for around 9k miles. I have no idea what it could be I have not ever had any codes. The only thing aftermarket on the truck is the pypes violator muffler. If anyone has any insight or ideas on this issue let me know. Thank you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I bought my 2013 5.7 express 2 years ago with 46k miles on it, now it has 65k on it now. I have had this annoying whine (very similar to a supercharger) coming from I believe the upper engine area (not sure) I took it to the dealer and go figure “truck sounds great to us” the truck will begin to whine after 1k and get louder whenever I give it more throttle in park, neutral, reverse and drive between 1k rpm’s and 2700. After 2700 I no longer can here it because of the exhaust. It’s done this noise for around 9k miles. I have no idea what it could be I have not ever had any codes. The only thing aftermarket on the truck is the pypes violator muffler. If anyone has any insight or ideas on this issue let me know. Thank you.

Check clutch fan.Unbolt it and remove it,see if noise goes away.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the sound is a whining noise the first thing I would do is remove the serpentine belt and start the engine. If the noise is still there then we know it is not coming from the accessory drive and could be coming from the engine or the transmission.

If the noise goes away with the belt removed the first thing I would inspect would be the power steering pump and the rest of the power steering system. Reinstall the serpentine belt and take along screwdriver or a long pry bar or a long extension and place it against the body of the power steering pump while the engine is running and put your ear against your extension to see if you can hear the whining sound. I use a mechanics stethoscope but not everyone has one readily available. Make sure you are being very careful while attempting to listen to the accessory drive system. You don't want to get your scope/extension caught in the belt and potentially hurt yourself.

Next, I would inspect and listen to all of the other pulleys with my scope. I usually place the end of my scope on the bolt in the center of the pulleys. For the alternator or the A/C Compressor I put the end of my scope on the housing closest to the pulleys.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If the sound is a whining noise the first thing I would do is remove the serpentine belt and start the engine. If the noise is still there then we know it is not coming from the accessory drive and could be coming from the engine or the transmission.

If the noise goes away with the belt removed the first thing I would inspect would be the power steering pump and the rest of the power steering system. Reinstall the serpentine belt and take along screwdriver or a long pry bar or a long extension and place it against the body of the power steering pump while the engine is running and put your ear against your extension to see if you can hear the whining sound. I use a mechanics stethoscope but not everyone has one readily available. Make sure you are being very careful while attempting to listen to the accessory drive system. You don't want to get your scope/extension caught in the belt and potentially hurt yourself.

Next, I would inspect and listen to all of the other pulleys with my scope. I usually place the end of my scope on the bolt in the center of the pulleys. For the alternator or the A/C Compressor I put the end of my scope on the housing closest to the pulleys.

Don't quote me on this,but I think 2013 is when they went to an electric powered steering rack

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't quote me on this,but I think 2013 is when they went to an electric powered steering rack
You're correct. I didn't see what year model he said it was.

Quick side note. The procedure still applies to the rest of the pulleys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Austin32732

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay I’ll check all of stuff listed and keep you guys updated. You mentioned the ac condenser which reminded me the Ac makes some clunk noise whenever it’s on (only sporadic) but whenever I turn the ac off and only leave the heat on is when it doesn’t make a noise but I tend to run with the ac on all the time so my rpms don’t drop to 500 whenever I come to a stop in drive. Don’t want this to sound like a stupid question but could it still be the ac condenser making a whine even if the ac is not on?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Okay I’ll check all of stuff listed and keep you guys updated. You mentioned the ac condenser which reminded me the Ac makes some clunk noise whenever it’s on (only sporadic) but whenever I turn the ac off and only leave the heat on is when it doesn’t make a noise but I tend to run with the ac on all the time so my rpms don’t drop to 500 whenever I come to a stop in drive. Don’t want this to sound like a stupid question but could it still be the ac condenser making a whine even if the ac is not on?
The A/C compressor pulley bearing can still make noise even when the clutch is not engaged.