Speedometer Programing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZiggyPiggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed bigger tires(33.9") on my 21' Classic Warlock and want to update the computer with the new tire size. After reading about the difficulties people have using AlfaOBD I'm hesitant to try doing it myself. Has anyone had any luck with a shop or dealer doing this in San Diego? I called Carl Burger Dodge and they want $600+

If AlfaOBD is my only reasonable option can someone point me to the correct tools I will need and the process? I read somewhere the Classics needed a special harness maybe?

Sorry if this has been answered 100 times already. I'm having a hard time finding straightforward instructions.

Side question: Does anyone know the clearance needed from the top of the tire to wheel well? I installed ICONs and want to lower the front from what they came from the factory set at.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If AlfaOBD is my only reasonable option can someone point me to the correct tools I will need and the process? I read somewhere the Classics needed a special harness maybe?
For AlfaOBD it's recommended to use the OBDLink MX+, you'll also need a security gateway bypass for any method to write to the vehicle modules. You can use AlfaOBD on an Android device or Windows computer. A recommended gateway bypass harness: https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

Another option for adjusting the tire size along with other features is a Tazer module

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep.

then you choose your new tire size from the menu.

OP
OP
Z

ZiggyPiggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For AlfaOBD it's recommended to use the OBDLink MX+, you'll also need a security gateway bypass for any method to write to the vehicle modules. You can use AlfaOBD on an Android device or Windows computer. A recommended gateway bypass harness: https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

Another option for adjusting the tire size along with other features is a Tazer module
Thanks. Is there any advantage to the Tazer? Easier to use?

OP
OP
Z

ZiggyPiggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Three ride is great. I was worried about road noise but the ride is quiet, I put on Falken Wildpeak ATs. My gas mileage took a hit is the only downside I can tell

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks. Is there any advantage to the Tazer? Easier to use?

It's technically easier, but with alfa you can do many more things. I'm using Z automotive by-pass module, which is easy to install, and remove.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't forget to back up current settings before making changes with Alfa in case you have issues afterwards. You'll know where everything should be.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
or just leave it alone ...... 33.9 will only be like 1mph off....

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
How off is the speed? You can test with a speedometer app on a cell phone or the speed check areas if you have those around you. Stock vehicles are off a little sometimes, Toyota seems to be 2 mph slower vs the dash I have learned.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you visit a Discount Tire store, they can tell you how far off your Speedometer/Odometer will be

.................................................................................................

There used to be an Official Speedometer shop in El Cajon, but i think they may have moved to Santee, just off of Prospect Ave,
It may be somewhere around The Dyno Shop, on the airport side of the road

I used to use them to rebuild speedo heads, that i picked in Spring Valley & Otay Mesa wrecking yards