Spray in Bedliner or Plastic Bedliner which would you get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Agree with others...I've had drop in plastic and ended up with a rusty bed (hidden), mates, but spray in has suited my needs best. My current Ram came with the 'factory' spray in and I like how items (generally) stay put and do not slide around. So far minimal to no wear noted since 2016. Cheers

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck came with the plastic,keep it..BUT get a spray on and use the plastic one to cover spray in for protection if you work the truck at all..Otherwise,spray it...

Did see a fella online who took a day with his gf and did a dyi soray in for about $100 on youtube..

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
If your truck came with the plastic,keep it..BUT get a spray on and use the plastic one to cover spray in for protection if you work the truck at all..Otherwise,spray it...

Did see a fella online who took a day with his gf and did a dyi soray in for about $100 on youtube..
It not the application that takes so long, it’s the prep! you have to sand down the entire area you want spray. and then cleaned it and then taped off the area, before you start spraying. I bought 4 cans to do it myself, but only ended up doing the tailgate.
I bought the spray cans but it comes in a roll on option as well.

the OP bought a new truck and I doubt he would do it himself...

I agree, keep the plastic if that is what is there. Add a rubber mat to keep things from sliding.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a plastic liner on my old Dakota, and although it served me well it allowed things to move around too easily. It also cracked in a few places. Every truck I've seen that had a plastic liner removed had signs of paint rub-through and rust.

The plastic liners chief advantage is price.

On my two 4th gen Rams I elected to go with a Bedrug. I loved everything about it. It was easy on the knees, easy to clean, held things in place while driving, extremely durable and never faded. Superb material quality. You install these yourself.

On this 5th gen I went with a spray-in because I had some fitment problems with the last Bedrug. From what I've seen on older trucks the spray-ins are likely to fade and turn whitish over time.

I paid something less for my Bedrugs than I did for this spray-in.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 023505 miles.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The plastic bedliner will trap moisture and potentially cause rusting.

Get a spray one and be done. It will last the test of time.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a plastic liner in my old Chev; it was slippery as hell and scratched the paint up underneath.
Had Line-X spray in in my MC and now factory spray in my 2018 with the Mopar rubber mat. That combo is the kitty’s *******. There are cheaper mats than the Mopar, but they don’t have the RAM logo on them. Lol I’m a little OCD.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Spray in. Had drop in on Dakota, rusted out underneath of it.
Have them spray hitch and mud flaps while your at it.

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
It all depends what you use the bed for. I haul landscape rock, mulch, and topsoil when I am doing work on my lawn. The plastic liner allows me to drag a flat shovel along the liner to dig out the material. I would quickly wear away any spray liner doing this. The liner also hoses out easily. Then a few times a year I remove the liner and hose out anything that got under it. With that said, I would prefer a spray-in. It looks nicer than a piece of molded plastic (my opinion only). But for me its just not practical.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My current 2011 RAM 2500 is my 5 Dodge truck. The rig prior to my current one I got the BEDRUG liner and absolutely loved it! So much so didn't think twice about getting another one for my current truck.

The BEDRUG is not cloth but is "carpet like". Check out their website at https://bedrug.com/ . I think it's the best bed liner out there!
20181111_160246.jpg
20181111_160227.jpg

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve had them all. Spray is a ***** on your hands and knees. Like 60 grit sandpaper. It also chips and fades. The BedRug was nice but hard to use for things like bark and get clean afterwards. My Nissan had plastic and it was fine but slippery.

I have a Dual Liner in my Ram. Plastic snap together sides, rubber mat on the bottom. Nothing slides, nothing scrapes, and it’s easy to clean.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First time I have seen the "Duallinger", looks like decent idea, and an easy stall.

Donald Parker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Spray-In, but you need to review the coating and installation processes to insure you are getting a quality product that is durable and bonded. Mine came from the factory and is covered by a warranty, but Rhino, Line-X, etc are installed by locally owned shops, so you need to research the process online, and then review the plan again with the installer to insure it is applied correctly. And, GET A MAT/RUG or something, because if done right, the spray-in is very coarse.

Last edited:

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a spray in from Bullet Liner and it's great. Was less money than a drop-in liner and has a lifetime guarantee for any scratch touch ups too.

I had the Mopar liner insert and didn't like it. It took up some space in the bed, was slippery, made access to the tie downs more difficult and limited the types of tonneau covers that could be used. Worst thing I heard about the liners is they can trap water underneath which leads to bed rust. None of those problems with the spray-in.

Bizjettech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had them all. Spray is a ***** on your hands and knees. Like 60 grit sandpaper. It also chips and fades. The BedRug was nice but hard to use for things like bark and get clean afterwards. My Nissan had plastic and it was fine but slippery.

I have a Dual Liner in my Ram. Plastic snap together sides, rubber mat on the bottom. Nothing slides, nothing scrapes, and it’s easy to clean.

Any issues with the Dual Liner and a hard folding Tonneau cover with clamp on rails ??

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agree with others...I've had drop in plastic and ended up with a rusty bed (hidden), mates, but spray in has suited my needs best. My current Ram came with the 'factory' spray in and I like how items (generally) stay put and do not slide around. So far minimal to no wear noted since 2016. Cheers
The solution to the bed liner moving and eventually causing rust is to right from the time of installation is put a sheet if 1/4" plywood under it and put a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws in in the very rear where it meets the tailgate.
Started doing that 30 years ago and never any damage at time of resale/trade in

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Have had rubber mat only, plastic only and spray in. The plastic is the worst. It is very slick but tossing in a rubber mat will alleviate that issue. What can’t be alleviated is the warping from the heat.

Biggest advantage to spray in is it eliminates paint scratching and protects your wheel wells from annoying little dents. However, stuff can still slide around on it depending on what your hauling. ALRedneck is right, spray in plus the rubber mat is the way to go.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any issues with the Dual Liner and a hard folding Tonneau cover with clamp on rails ??
I have an Undercover hard tonneau myself, so I don't know for sure but I think it would work. That may be on the FAQs on the Dual Liner website. The way the sides work is that have a top edge that snaps in under the rails against the outside and top walls of the truck. So either they don't block the rails, or you clamp both the rail and the plastic to hold the cover in place.

I'll double-check when I get home.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will depend on how you use your truck. If you thrown heavy pointed or square stuff in the bed that would debt it, go with a plastic liner. The drawback to a plastic liner is things slide around inside of them, not damaging the bed but maybe whatever it is that you are hauling. My preference is the spray in. They will prevent damage from scratching the bed and can be repaired if need be.
I had plastic before and disliked it right away.