Stable Method for transporting two ebikes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im looking at options for being able to transport two ebikes , one bike is step through frame one isn't. I currently have a tonneau cover that folds back, so I believe the methods to secure the bikes towards the front of the bed won't work for my current setup. Any options? Im thinking perhaps tow type but wouldn't that be a waste of a good bed?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
One option - take off the cover when you want to carry the bikes, it isn't very hard.

Or - build a frame from some 2 x 4s to go across the bed, with a triangle type setup (like a sidewalk bike rack) that you can put in. Tuck it as far forward as the cover will allow. I would think you could put two bikes standing up with the front wheel tucked in the rack, leave the tailgate down.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
A bed extender would let you put an in-bed bike rack further back.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can't you just tie them in upright like you would a motorcycle.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they're not too heavy you might be able to use a Thule Gatemate Pro (or equivalent) and hang the bikes over your tailgate.

I bought a receiver hitch mounted bike carrier to use on a SUV years ago and still have it so I just use that on my truck even if there's nothing in the bed.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
HF moving blanket, bike 1, HF blanket2, Bike 2, HF blanket3. A double EB sandwich.

If these are the A/T version, I would think that they could handle it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How far do you need to go? Can you drape a blanket over the closed tailgate and put the front tire of the e-bike over the tailgate?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Im looking at options for being able to transport two ebikes , one bike is step through frame one isn't. I currently have a tonneau cover that folds back, so I believe the methods to secure the bikes towards the front of the bed won't work for my current setup. Any options? Im thinking perhaps tow type but wouldn't that be a waste of a good bed?

So I'm not entirely sure what you mean here - but you should still be able to access your lower tie-down hooks even with a folding tonneau cover. I use them all the time to haul my kid's dirt bike around (I don't want it down on the flatbed with the quads - it's too easy to make off with if we stop, at least this way they have to climb up into the truck).

If they're difficult to get to for whatever reason, then you could probably add some tie-off rope or chain to the hooks to get the attachment point further out from under the cover.

If you're talking about the bikes being too long to fit, then your best option is to take the cover off and strap it down beside the bikes if you're wanting to put it back on as soon as they're unloaded, but you could also just leave it at home. I've done this many times, with both options.