Steering Stabilizer Upgrade from Stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2019 PW. I have Ridge Grapplers in 35s. They have about 8000 miles on them. I started noticing a shimmy at about 60 mph. I had them balanced and rotated last week and that helped (I know I probably went too long before getting them rotated), but I still notice the shimmy slightly at highway speed. Should I upgrade my stock steering stabilizer or live with the shimmy?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I have a 2019 PW. I have Ridge Grapplers in 35s. They have about 8000 miles on them. I started noticing a shimmy at about 60 mph. I had them balanced and rotated last week and that helped (I know I probably went too long before getting them rotated), but I still notice the shimmy slightly at highway speed. Should I upgrade my stock steering stabilizer or live with the shimmy?
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/centramatic-balancers-on-37s.164854/

I think Centramatic Balancers might be in your future.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock ss are fairly good . i have a king but its over pressured and caused a right pull so i need to drop the pressure. in the meen time i been using the stock ss and it works good. this is with 37 x13.5 tires mind you

when a shop mounts tires in no particular relation to the wheel, its no better than throwing mud at the fence and hope something sticks. there should be red or yellow dots on the tire and theyre on for a reason. checking wheel run out on a machine before mounting is the best bet. then line the red mark to that. has the road force ever been checked ? thats where i would start. centramatics and tire beads seem like a last ditch hail mary when nothing else will work

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
stock ss are fairly good . i have a king but its over pressured and caused a right pull so i need to drop the pressure. in the meen time i been using the stock ss and it works good. this is with 37 x13.5 tires mind you

when a shop mounts tires in no particular relation to the wheel, its no better than throwing mud at the fence and hope something sticks. there should be red or yellow dots on the tire and theyre on for a reason. checking wheel run out on a machine before mounting is the best bet. then line the red mark to that. has the road force ever been checked ? thats where i would start. centramatics and tire beads seem like a last ditch hail mary when nothing else will work

The shop I use does both of those things. I watched them when they initially mounted the tires, and they tested them then broke them back down and spun the wheel within the tire to get it to the best point of natural balancing before needing to add weights. It feels less like a vibration due to them being out of balance as it does a shimmy - where the steering wheel is slightly moving back and forth.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The shop I use does both of those things. I watched them when they initially mounted the tires, and they tested them then broke them back down and spun the wheel within the tire to get it to the best point of natural balancing before needing to add weights. It feels less like a vibration due to them being out of balance as it does a shimmy - where the steering wheel is slightly moving back and forth.

yes im familiar with that procedure. we used it on a set of 35s a while back. on the 37s we tried a different approach. before the tires were mounted we put the bare wheels on the machine and a arm checks the runout then the red dot is aligned to that. it worked out well as the road force of all four tires were half to slightly less than half of the acceptable range designated by the machine. did you see what your road force was on each tire assembly ? you could try a new ss and it may work better than your current one but i wouldnt be suprised if it isnt worlds better ,as the stock one seems to work plenty good. thats been my experience anyways

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
yes im familiar with that procedure. we used it on a set of 35s a while back. on the 37s we tried a different approach. before the tires were mounted we put the bare wheels on the machine and a arm checks the runout then the red dot is aligned to that. it worked out well as the road force of all four tires were half to slightly less than half of the acceptable range designated by the machine. did you see what your road force was on each tire assembly ? you could try a new ss and it may work better than your current one but i wouldnt be suprised if it isnt worlds better ,as the stock one seems to work plenty good. thats been my experience anyways

Thanks - that's what I was wondering. If a new one would really make that much difference. I'll keep what I have for a while and if it gets worse, then I may invest in a new SS.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
another thing i did that you might try. when the truck was fairly new i went to alignment shop and put it on the rack only to get the printout so i know where everything is sitting. it was free of charge and gives some piece of mind stuff is adjusted correct right out of the gate