Stellantis’ new Ram pickup is an EV — with a gas-powered generator in case the battery runs out. The end of the Hemi???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1700236561009.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten
  • Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first pickup for its Ram Trucks brand that’s equipped with an onboard gas engine and electric generator.
  • The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until the vehicle’s battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle after its initial charge.
  • Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis characterized the new Ram 1500 Ramcharger pickup as the “ultimate answer for battery-electric trucks.”

DETROIT — Automaker Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first electric pickup truck called the Ram 1500 Ramcharger that’s equipped with an electric generator and a gas engine.
If that sounds like an oxymoron, here’s how it works: The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until its battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 27-gallon, 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle.

The outcome is a truck with the benefits of an EV, such as fast acceleration and some zero-emissions driving, without the range anxiety synonymous with most current electric vehicles, according to Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis.
“This is the ultimate answer for the battery-electric truck. No one else has got anything else like it,” Kuniskis told reporters during an event. “This is going to be a game changer for battery-electric trucks.”
The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger is expected to go on sale in late 2024 alongside a previously revealed all-electric Ram 1500 truck without a gas-powered engine or range-extending electric generator.
Stellantis estimates the range of the Ramcharger to be up to 690 miles, including up to 145 miles powered by a 92 kilowatt-hour battery when fully charged without the extended-range power from the gas engine and 130 kilowatt electric generator.
That range compares with up to an expected 500-mile range of the all-electric Ram 1500 REV pickup. It also tops the current Ram 1500, which has a 3.6-liter V-6 engine and an up to 26-gallon tank with a total range of up to 546 miles, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Stellantis did not announce pricing of the Ramcharger, which was revealed Tuesday as part of a redesign of current gasoline-powered Ram 1500 pickups for the 2025 model year.

‘Not a PHEV’​

Kuniskis said the Ramcharger is meant as a bridge between traditional trucks with internal combustion engines and all-electric ones, which currently face significant hurdles regarding charging infrastructure and range anxiety, especially when the vehicles are towing — a main reason to purchase a truck.
Such improvements could be a differentiator for the brand, according to Stephanie Brinley, associate director of AutoIntelligence for S&P Global Mobility.
“It works to address the fact that right now the industry and the pickup truck segment in particular is not ready to just flip to EVs 100%,” she said. “It addresses some of those performance and range anxiety concerns, and it’s strong.— But the difficult part is going to be getting consumers to really understand what it does.”

1700236863330.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten

Similar propulsion technology — referred to as extended-range electric vehicles, or EREVs — is available in overseas markets, specifically China. It’s also similarly been offered in vehicles such as the discontinued Chevrolet Volt sedan from General Motors.

Stellantis engineers said the main difference between the technology of the Ramcharger and the Volt is that the truck is being exclusively propelled by electric motors, not the vehicle’s engine, once the battery dies. It’s also expected to be the first application of it in a production full-size pickup truck.

The Ramcharger features 663 horsepower and 615 foot-pounds of torque and can achieve 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds, Stellantis said. The truck will be capable of bidirectional charging, where the vehicle acts as a generator to power appliances or even an entire home, the company said.

Kuniskis, who also leads Stellantis’ Dodge brand, declined to comment on whether the technology of the Ramcharger will be used in other vehicles. Other Stellantis brands include Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat in the U.S.

The Ramcharger operates differently from current plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, or PHEVs, that offer a range of all-electric driving, followed by an engine powering the vehicle after the battery is depleted.

“The Ramcharger is not a PHEV,” Kuniskis said. “It’s a battery-electric truck with its own onboard, high-speed charger.”

“There’s no connection between the engine and the wheels,” he said. “The gas generator is only there to charge the battery.”

Ram’s truck strategy is different from its leading competitors GM and Ford Motor. The latter is offering traditional, hybrid and all-electric versions of its F-150 full-size truck, while GM has said it plans to transition from traditional trucks to electric ones without the use of hybrids.

Stellantis currently offers PHEV versions of vehicles such as the Chrysler Pacifica minivan and Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs.

1700236998246.png
Ram’s 2023 Super Bowl ad debuts the production version of the Ram 1500 REV electric pickup that is expected to go on sale in late 2024.

Bye-bye Hemi​

The design of the Ramcharger is a mix between the all-electric Ram 1500 REV and the refreshed gas versions of the traditional trucks, which will be available early next year.
The Ramcharger includes illuminated lines across its grille from the headlamps, new badging that debuted on the all-electric truck and other design and facia elements between the two.
For the traditional Ram 1500 models, the biggest change is the company is dropping its well-known Hemi V-8. Replacing the current 5.7-liter Hemi engine offered in the truck will be a twin-turbocharged, inline-six-cylinder engine called the Hurricane.

“Some customers are going to be upset that you’re not going to have a Hemi in there,” Kuniskis said. “Sure, the Hemi’s an absolute legend. Americans love the Hemi, but this thing flat out outperforms the Hemi.”

The 3.0-liter Hurricane engine is rated at 420 horsepower and 469 foot-pounds of torque, while a high-output version of the engine is rated at 540 horsepower and 521 foot-pounds of torque. That compares with the current V-8 Hemi at 395 horsepower and 410 foot-pounds of torque.

Inline-, or straight-, six-cylinder engines have been used in U.S. vehicles by automakers such as BMW and Jaguar, however, they’re far from mainstream in the U.S.

Other changes to the trucks include a new luxury model called Tungsten and a performance variant called RHO replacing Ram’s high-output TRX pickup that is equipped with a Hemi 6.2-liter V-8 capable of 702 horsepower and 650 foot-pounds of torque.

Article courtesy of Michael Wayland with CNBC.com

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d buy one to not buy 100 gallons of fuel a month. my fear is they are going to price this thing to mean they get the $300/mo instead of the oil company. I am not dumb enough to think I will get to keep any savings. Our Tesla is also imperceptible on the electric bill. Approaching 40k miles on it 2.5 years on. Whether the car is that efficient or the electricity that cheap compares to fuel, I don’t care. It’s an amazing car all around.
The EV cost advantage will disappear as their adoption spreads. Instead of $300/mo for fuel you'll be paying $500/mo for power. As an early adopter you are saving right now.

Of course you also aren't paying road use taxes either, because States haven't figured out a reliable way to charge EV drivers yet. Enjoy it while it lasts, because I've never known the govt to let common folk get away with "free" stuff for long.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They tried wheelage tax here when fuel mileage started going up, so that gasoline sales, and tax revenue went down. They didn't tie the inflation index to gasoline taxes, and the endless static fuel tax rate battles don't do anything, hence the wheelage tax - where you pay for how many public wheels you got.

Well, soon the complaints came in that some drive more than others so that tax isn't fair. They still haven't figured out how to tax for weight and miles of road usage after all these decades. Which are what actually wears out roads (in addition to time / age).

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
States that do vehicle inspections can easily implement mileage based fees. The miles of the vehicle are already recorded as part of the inspection. States that don't do inspections would just need to require miles to be certified as part of the registration process.

Now getting the government to do something that obvious it is a different story.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A smart move would have been to require everyone installing an EV charger to put it on a separate meter and have that electricity billed at a higher rate, to account for road use. Just like "off road" diesel is taxed differently from regular diesel. That way where ever you charge that govt gets the taxes.

The problem with states doing an annual mileage tax is that it only catches vehicles which are registered in that state. What about states with lower populations but a lot of miles of highway? With gas/diesel taxes they get revenue from everyone who fills up as they travel through. Taxing only residents isn't fair, because it's not just residents who use the roads.

What I'm afraid is coming is GPS monitoring of every vehicle that will log the number of miles you drive in every municipality, and you'll get a tax bill from every single one of them.

Again not really a problem YET, as EVs are only about 1% of the vehicles on the road. If that jumps significantly in the next decade and gets to 10% or more they'll be "mandating" some kind of solution.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
States that do vehicle inspections can easily implement mileage based fees. The miles of the vehicle are already recorded as part of the inspection. States that don't do inspections would just need to require miles to be certified as part of the registration process.

Now getting the government to do something that obvious it is a different story.

Yeah, Minnesota had mandatory inspections until EPA-mandated ozone limits were reduced, then it was dropped. Don't know what today's standard is, but 20 years ago EPA forced cities to inspect vehicle exhaust and parts for EPA regulatory compliance. It weeded a bunch of old heaps off the road.

So - for states and cities that don't mandate vehicle inspections anymore, like my state, it's still an issue.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Sounds great to me but I certainly wouldn't buy the first year. Let someone else be a genypig.

Would like to know what the gpm is when using engine to generate the power needed. Is it as good as an ice pickup with the v6?

Like many people have stated locomotives use it so it must be an efficient way to move.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The EV cost advantage will disappear as their adoption spreads. Instead of $300/mo for fuel you'll be paying $500/mo for power. As an early adopter you are saving right now.

Of course you also aren't paying road use taxes either, because States haven't figured out a reliable way to charge EV drivers yet. Enjoy it while it lasts, because I've never known the govt to let common folk get away with "free" stuff for long.
Actually I am paying road use tax. My state figured out how to add an EV tax to my registration that is equivalent to 416 gallons worth of gasoline tax which I now pay in advance of driving all year. As have most states at this point. Grid failing is a long way off if it even turns out to be more than oil company propaganda. Solar is getting cheap very quickly… maybe by the time it’s an issue we can all afford solar, and not just for our cars.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That being said my pw is probably the last truck I will ever buy
I say that every day...
It's the nicest truck I've ever owned and it's paid for.
Since I don't need to use it as a daily driver anymore I'm not putting many miles on it anyway...

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
They still haven't figured out how to tax for weight and miles of road usage after all these decades. Which are what actually wears out roads
With how much EVs communicate back to the manufacturer it's entirely possible to mandate that the vehicles report how many miles it's being driven, even down to wherever the vehicle is located. If you drive cross country in essence could pay taxes for the roads you drive on to each state for however many miles you traveled within.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If the government wants your money they will find a solution to get it. Recycle tax on the batteries vehicles weight tax because Evs are heavier than regular cars. They will think of something.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
With how much EVs communicate back to the manufacturer it's entirely possible to mandate that the vehicles report how many miles it's being driven, even down to wherever the vehicle is located. If you drive cross country in essence could pay taxes for the roads you drive on to each state for however many miles you traveled within.

Surprised they haven't done this yet. At least not that I'm aware of.

I won't let insurance companies install their spyware on my vehicles for a discount, though. Unless they share full disclosure how they use it to set their pricing. Which they won't, of course.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so does all this advertising C--- equal more Hemi's on the dealership lots in the future?? hmmm..options I am seeing...so much talk..let's see what walks the talk shall we...and pricing..hmmm another unknown..

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then there is that POWER GRID..hmmm...how much power would be required for say 10 million vehicles?....Then ADD in those winter storms...fires and floods...then there are CME's...me thinks a lot of folks going back to horse & buggy never mind these new trucks...Ahhh so glad i have my dog sled for winter and bike for summer...only 5 more summers on this side of the grass anyway so no worries here..good luck folks.,,LOL....

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then there is that POWER GRID..hmmm...how much power would be required for say 10 million vehicles?....Then ADD in those winter storms...fires and floods...then there are CME's...
Yeah... electric advocates ignore evidence of the grid already being at max capacity in many places. Just last Xmas we had rolling blackouts in NC due to a cold snap. There isn't much reserve generating capacity left and they sure don't seem to be in much of a hurry to build new powerplants in preparation for all this electric demand that's going to be coming. California was rationing power this summer.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep my point exactly. We will sit in the weeds with our Hem ‘a and see how the Politicians and Advertisers deal with this part of their B- promotion.. oh it will be fun to watch them dance and try to con the poor fools that buy into this nonsense.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
In the Midwest Grid Region, they've just STARTED to add to transmission line capacity, which takes years and millions of dollars to build. Going electric has not been a coordinated strategy - just bits here and there convulsing.

I suppose that's how the fueled vehicle industry started too, building massive petroleum pipelines and refineries across the continent.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yeah... electric advocates ignore evidence of the grid already being at max capacity in many places. Just last Xmas we had rolling blackouts in NC due to a cold snap. There isn't much reserve generating capacity left and they sure don't seem to be in much of a hurry to build new powerplants in preparation for all this electric demand that's going to be coming. California was rationing power this summer.

Take a look at electrical demand graphs. It's not linear. There is plenty of capacity during off peak times.

One of the issues with the grid is just how peak-y demand is. There's no viable method for storing extra power generated during off peak hours, there's no economic incentive to run enough power for the few peaks, and 'peakers' are brought on line to deal with it.

Understand I look at this from an investor standpoint, not an engineer standpoint. Nice steady reliable dividends from power infrastructure. The market will 100% figure it out and EVs are not going to be the issue you think.

TiredRooster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Manufacturers will keep pushing these EV vehicles till they go broke. Look at what Ford just announced in regards to their EV F150 Lightning. They've lost over a billion dollars on this pipe dream. They have now announced that they will cut EV production in half. It's not viable and further more, no one wants them.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"The market will 100% figure it out and EVs are not going to be the issue you think." Oprative word in your disertation is "The Market".and "."T he issue you think ",,just think about the cost to the the average household..not 'The Market"..The Market minions are those wealthy yo yo's out of touch with reality sitting in recliners having some wacky weed or worse..the cost for the infra structure as mentioned above is out of sight..the time to create such infrastructure will be past our lifetime..it will be interesting "looking back into History moment"...30 years from now to see which ideas..visions...or common sense ruled?...LOL...I won't be here but perhaps my thoughts will echo..LOL

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the Midwest Grid Region, they've just STARTED to add to transmission line capacity, which takes years and millions of dollars to build. Going electric has not been a coordinated strategy - just bits here and there convulsing.

I suppose that's how the fueled vehicle industry started too, building massive petroleum pipelines and refineries across the continent.

Massive pipelines, refineries were capitalist driven. NOT faux mandates from government.

Free Market needs to drive requirements. Not, PC hype.