Stick shift anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Does Ram make new trucks with a stick shift or are they all automatics?

There's still at least one fleet truck in some foreign markets that has a manual option, but it's not a model that's available stateside. Everything in the US and Canada is automatic only. Not Ram, but with Jeep falling under the same parent company you can get a midsize with a stick since the Gladiator still offers a manual. I think Toyota still offers a manual in their midsize as well.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can be confident that every non luxury type auto manufacturer has Standard Shift Automobiles in the

What is the biggest off-road race in the world?
Dakar
Dakar Is The Biggest Off-Road Race In The World.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hard to text with a stick shift!!!! We have cars with beds! Wish we still had a choice, we can't even find CDL truck drivers who can drive a manual, we offer more pay if they can drive a manual. You ask, "Can you drive a manual" you hear "Duh, I usually keep mine in the glove box." Oh boy, going to be a short test drive! Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. Something most guys could do by 10 years old before, now grown men can't. I know...... times are different......... So. Lol

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately, those of us that are Drivers, not owners, are vastly outnumbered. Most people push this Petal to go, and this Petal to stop and are mad that their infotainment system isn't linking up, or whatever the heck infotainment systems do.

"Cars with beds". Boy did you nail that! X10.

I know it's blasphemy, but that super duper 8 speed doesn't do anything for me. But if they would come out with a 1500 with something like a Tremec T6060, I'd have my order in by the end of the day. 3.92 LSD rear end, of course.

The 6 speed manuals in the Jeeps drive really nice. Reverse is a bit tall, but man, that's a slick little transmission, and fun to drive.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We all wish there was still a stick shift .. I even looked into changing my 2014 Ram 2500 Hemi into a stick .. but not doable due to the modules that talk to each other.. so what that means due to the level of safety put into drivetrains stick shift is no longer an option.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Years back I had two manual Dodge trucks, both Dakotas.
96 318 4wd 5-speed
97 V6 2wd 5-speed
Both were extremely fun to drive.
The majority of my vehicles have been manuals. I've taken many automatics out and replaced with a manual transmission. Not that easy or possible anymore as someone else stated. As much as I dislike my 65RFE (3rd gear is a joke) I'll never take my 6 speed (5 1/2 speed) automatic out and replace with the 8 speed automatic even tho the 8 speed is much more superior it's still a..........automatic! The cost wouldn't be worth it for me. If they made a kit or made it possible to make mine the 6 speed manual I'd use my automatic for a boat anchor!

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The majority of my vehicles have been manuals. I've taken many automatics out and replaced with a manual transmission. Not that easy or possible anymore as someone else stated. As much as I dislike my 65RFE (3rd gear is a joke) I'll never take my 6 speed (5 1/2 speed) automatic out and replace with the 8 speed automatic even tho the 8 speed is much more superior it's still a..........automatic! The cost wouldn't be worth it for me. If they made a kit or made it possible to make mine the 6 speed manual I'd use my automatic for a boat anchor!
I so agree with you on that statement.. boat anchor ba ha ha

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
MT's are few and far between anymore. IMO, it's not only because people don't want them, it's because of emissions compliance and computer control bodes better with automatics.

Unless you're talking something sporty or a muscle car, I say good riddance to them. Most of the vehicle's I've owned since the late 1980s have had manual transmissions and I've had my fill. My last was a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek with a 5MT that was just awful.

Like @2012RAM1500RT says, even our tractor trailers at work are never ordered with an MT anymore. They're all 10spd automatics now. These are more of an automated manual transmission though.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Finding someone who can drive a stick nowadays is as rare as a cashier who can make change of a dollar without the register.
A stupid populace is easily controlled.
LOL, If you buy something that cost $4.53, hand them a $5 bill and 3 pennies and see what happens. Good luck at getting your 2 quarters back! Now I just tell them to keep the pennies, much easier!

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
LOL, If you buy something that cost $4.53, hand them a $5 bill and 3 pennies and see what happens. Good luck at getting your 2 quarters back! Now I just tell them to keep the pennies, much easier!
Try in Canada .. we got rid of the pennies.. so now they need to round off and with the register to tell them the change.. how do they still mess it up .. lol

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I feel badly that I got away from MT's prior to my kids being able to drive. Now I struggle to keep them interested in learning how to change out a flat tire. Many of your new cars don't even come with spares anymore!

The little 2015 Nissan Versa sedan I bought for my older kids to use for college/work has roll up windows, manual door locks and a $2 ignition key w/ no FOB. You had to see their faces when they first encountered these "options". LOL

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I feel badly that I got away from MT's prior to my kids being able to drive. Now I struggle to keep them interested in learning how to change out a flat tire. Many of your new cars don't even come with spares anymore!

The little 2015 Nissan Versa sedan I bought for my older kids to use for college/work has roll up windows, manual door locks and a $2 ignition key w/ no FOB. You had to see their faces when they first encountered these "options". LOL
I taught my son and daughter how to drive a manual when they got their license. They both had and preferred them for many years, now harder to find them so they have automatics now. My daughters car gave out on her and one of her uncles gave her a car to use and it just so happened to be a manual but that wasn't a problem because she knew how to drive it. It's like riding a bike, once you learn how to ride you'll never forget. Point is you should know how to drive one just in case, you never know when it comes in handy!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you're talking something sporty or a muscle car, I say good riddance to them.
With the automatic transmissions that you can shift manually nowadays, unless it's a classic why even bother with a clutch. A person can't shift faster than an automatic. They don't even offer a stick in the new Corvette.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've went the other way,i've replaced more Muncie's / T-10's etc., with automatics,and have always went faster. The old school muscle car manual transmissions with a Hurst shifter were killers on the shoulder after a day at the dragstrip,and would never live with my style of driving/racing,which is never lift on the shift,;). I blew up more 4 speeds / clutches and driveline components with a manual then i ever did with an automatic:Big Laugh:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've went the other way,i've replaced more Muncie's / T-10's etc., with automatics,and have always went faster. The old school muscle car manual transmissions with a Hurst shifter were killers on the shoulder after a day at the dragstrip,and would never live with my style of driving/racing,which is never lift on the shift,;). I blew up more 4 speeds / clutches and driveline components with a manual then i ever did with an automatic:Big Laugh:
Not going to disagree with you on the newer automatics being better but my older cars with a 4 speed, I watched more automatics fail so many times while my 4 speed went on and on and I never lift on a shift. I also know that automatics are faster especially now and I would never think I can out shift them. Have to say that I felt better shifting my old cars drag racing and still being able to run fairly consistent times than drag racing now and my vehicle running even more consistent because of computers. Now you can run down the track with your arm out the window and changing the radio station while being more consistent, not because I'm a better driver but because of computers. People do a lot better at the drag strip now days because of their cars, not them. Guess I just feel better making my vehicle do good because I know how to drive it instead of it driving me! I don't want a manual just for racing, they are just more fun to drive IMO. Guess you could call me a control freak! LOL

Last edited: