Stock Goodyear SRA tires replace or run 'em poll

Should I replace the new Goodyear SRA tires that came with my new RAM?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You know, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about how the stock tires break free on wet roads. Personally, I love that. With pedal commander set on sport+ in my 2wd Ram, in rainy weather at night, it makes the truck a hoot to drive.
That being said, once they wear out i will be replacing them with some street tires with a higher speed rating. The only offroading my Ram ever sees is hopping curbs to get around people blocking the road, and the very occasional bit of gravel. I refuse to take my truck out on the beach after a sandy mishap with my old AWD Honda Pilot (it handled it fine, I was just never able to get all of the sand out of there, even 2yrs and 30k+ miles later) and cleaning off mud has never appealed to me.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about how the stock tires break free on wet roads. Personally, I love that. With pedal commander set on sport+ in my 2wd Ram, in rainy weather at night, it makes the truck a hoot to drive.
That being said, once they wear out i will be replacing them with some street tires with a higher speed rating. The only offroading my Ram ever sees is hopping curbs to get around people blocking the road, and the very occasional bit of gravel. I refuse to take my truck out on the beach after a sandy mishap with my old AWD Honda Pilot (it handled it fine, I was just never able to get all of the sand out of there, even 2yrs and 30k+ miles later) and cleaning off mud has never appealed to me.

You love that because you're 25! No fear of anything right? I was the same way when I was younger but I've known too many people that got messed up or killed from driving too fast or with **** tires or whatever. I've narrowly missed a few deer and even a wild hog a time or two and even several gators over the years. I'm still running the factory Goodyears and at 24K miles they still look really good probably have 8/32nds left. The bad part is I have had two flats and a blowout on them in two RAMS over the last 3 years. They ride well enough but the sidewalls are paper thin.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You love that because you're 25! No fear of anything right? I was the same way when I was younger but I've known too many people that got messed up or killed from driving too fast or with **** tires or whatever. I've narrowly missed a few deer and even a wild hog a time or two and even several gators over the years. I'm still running the factory Goodyears and at 24K miles they still look really good probably have 8/32nds left. The bad part is I have had two flats and a blowout on them in two RAMS over the last 3 years. They ride well enough but the sidewalls are paper thin.

When I see someone flying by me on bad highways in the winter, I always think you obviously haven't had a bad winter accident experience...or if it's an SUV, that you're trusting you're all wheel drive far too much. A bad black ice accident with zero vehicle control gives a person a whole new perspective on road conditions.

RGAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found they were pretty decent in snow. Pretty much their 1 redeeming quality. In the rain they were just terrible.

The last straw for me was when I was going down the highway around 60mph with cruise control on. It was mildly raining, roads were wet but there was no standing water in tire ruts of the lanes. As I'm going along on a straight section my tractions control light starts flashing like the rear wheels are slipping. Then I felt the back end start going sideways. I slowed down and got control back. Got back up to 60mph and set the CC again. A few mins later the same thing happened. I found if I gave it the slightest bit of gas the back tires would loose grip. I had both my kids in the back and my youngest was an infant. At the time the truck had just over 15k and the SRAs were about half worn. At the time my truck was essentially stock.

Those POS' we're off my truck within a week after that. I've never had that problem again with the Cooper at3s that replaced them or the Michelin Defenders that are on my truck now.

The SRAs are pure garbage.
This is almost exactly like my experience with the tires. I had 18000 miles on them when I bought the truck figured I could make it to the spring from last November. Those tires scared the hell out of me. I told my wife I didn't plan on it but I don't have a choice I had to replace them. I couldn't even back up a slightly inclined driveway if there was any signs of wetness. Every day was a White knuckle ride if the roads were even remotely wet. Don't tell me I don't know how to drive I've been doing it for almost 40 years with zero accidents.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
these tires seem to have as many complaints as compliments. But I want to see how the numbers actually stack up. And happy to hear experience and opinions. This is more than just a fun poll. I have 1500 miles on my stock Goodyears and I'm considering options:)
I hate mine but I won’t change. Too expensive.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I see someone flying by me on bad highways in the winter, I always think you obviously haven't had a bad winter accident experience...or if it's an SUV, that you're trusting you're all wheel drive far too much. A bad black ice accident with zero vehicle control gives a person a whole new perspective on road conditions.
I'm not one for speeding, and I don't like to play when other cars are around.
Also, I'm from Houston where it only "snows" once every 5-6 years

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I've had Wranglers since orig equipment on my 2002 Ram Lone Star. Love 'em, first set lasted 75K miles, sold the truck at 135K miles with second set still showing good tread. I am NOT in the snow belt, though. On the current truck (a Tradesman) I changed from 17" to 20" with some Laramie take-offs but looking at going back because ride is so much stiffer with the low profile 20"s.

Whammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Living and driving in New England, close to Alberta right, I found the SRA's a poor choice. In the Fall (got my truck in the Spring) I switched to KO's and really appreciate the traction on snow/ice and on dirt road as well. The best part is they STOP. On a wet road the SRA's didn't do that!
My $0.02 - Good Luck

Samxboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm at 50000 and got another 10000 yet. Gives a super smooth ride....will replace with same...

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
these tires seem to have as many complaints as compliments. But I want to see how the numbers actually stack up. And happy to hear experience and opinions. This is more than just a fun poll. I have 1500 miles on my stock Goodyears and I'm considering options:)

Depends what you do with them. If you want play pretties (which is what RAM wants) keep the Goodyears. If you are in the heat, DUMP THEM. They do not hold up under load or heat. First choice Michelin and 2nd is Bridgestone.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't say enough good about the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Great in the rain, snow, heat, cold, loaded or unloaded. My only complaint is that they are boring looking but that's minor.

bbj02270

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine were wearing out with 35000 miles on them, and they wouldn't pass PA inspection by this fall. I just replaced them back in March with the Michelin Defender LTX, which should last twice as long. A little pricey, but I've had good experience with Michelin in the past. Great tire, handles well in dry or wet
I had to change mine around 35k. Went to Coopers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all got info beyond the poll as well. thx folks. i'm paying attention. i'm keeping a close eye on the SRAs. I have an extra paycheck in August that would cover an installed set of "something" and then I'll have confidence going into winter especially.(still tbd). All weathers are pretty much the way to go in Alberta. So I might go that route. Sad how many times on reviews you read that tires are good for the first 10K or whatever and quickly go downhill. I've done 13K damage alone to my prior vehicle (2003 tacoma) in a black ice accident and hit 4 other cars in the process. I've driven that truck and an overpass in the rain where all of a sudden it was like a wind tunnel hit and literally lifted my truck enough that it went squirrely for 5 seconds and I thought I was a dead man. That was on Toyos. I had Cooper Discoverers after that with the notorious tread cracking issues but they were better than the Toyos on any snow. But I won't buy Coopers ever again as they seem to have that issue more than any other company I've read about in recent years. I am super sensitive to snow and ice on the road because of my experiences.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Cooper Discoverer tires ... I have been using them on my last two trucks and never had an issue ... As a matter of fact, the couple that bought my 2013 Ram after i traded it in are still running on the Cooper Discoverer AT/W I put on ... I find them excellent in the snow and I rarely use the 4WD ... Maybe you just got a set from a bad factory run of the tire ... and depending on the mileage you put on, they should have been covered by warranty ...

Last edited:

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 33K miles on mine and way more than half the tread left. Are they the greatest tire? No but I'm too thrifty to get rid of perfectly good tires. I'll get them through this upcoming Winter and probably replace them in the Fall of 2020 when they are at about 55K miles. When the time comes to replace I have been looking at General Grabber AT/X, a pretty new tire that is getting awesome reviews, is studdable and has the 3 peak snowflake rating.

Last edited:

German Shepherd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
It's your money and you and your families lives at stake so yes, it is an important decision. I wasn't concerned about spinning and slipping on wet surfaces, I was worried about stopping!!! My SRA's gave me a 3-4 puckers in the first few weeks and I quickly realized it was time for a swap. I've had Michelin AT's, Firestone AT's, Cooper AT's, and Bridgestone AT's. All were far superior to the SRA's. Right now I'm running Wrangler Trail Runners based on a tire shop recommendation and they do everything I need them to do, quite well. Do your research, consider your driving habits/conditions/surfaces, and make a choice based on what's best for you. I drive like an old man whether on pavement, mud, gravel, or snow, and I can promise you this, you will not be disappointed with any of the more popular AT tires on the market verses the SRA's.