Stock muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So many of us replace these, I thought I'd cut mine open to see why. I have seen another pic elsewhere, and what I opened up was not nearly as bad. While not straight-through, it's no crazy maze (may have been a 3rd gen muffler?). Sorry I couldn't finish the job- it ate my last 2 cutoff discs getting this much done.
Enjoy

Attachments

• muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 312

2batruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for sharing. Always wondered about what's inside a stock ram muffler

Cascade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really doesnt look too bad in that chamber....mine is still getting replaced with a magnaflow one of these days though

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Very cool. What's on the other side where the 3 ports are going?

OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We won't know until someone else adds to this. Mine is now at the dump.

JoshikusIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had to guess one is the flow pipe and the other two are for sound absorbtion. But I really have no clue...nice to see this though I have wondered myself. Slashing this off was my first mod, I couldn't stomach a Hemi that sounded like a Prius.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
You know, I've heard other stock 4th gen rams and they don't sound nearly as meaty as mine did stock. I had watched a video where one of the engineers claimed the Sport came with a louder exhaust and I have to believe it's true. Plus, I helped put a Mufflex on an Express and I remember his muffler being bigger and heavier than mine.

Thanks for the cut out view!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The mufflers on the Express are ginaormous it was like bench pressing a water heater when I took mine off lol.

OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys really think they'd go to the trouble of putting different mufflers on different trims?? My truck is a Sport, and the stock muffler was huge. I'd just be surprised to see them fit different mufflers to different trucks, when they do so much the same such as wiring harnesses, etc.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
You guys really think they'd go to the trouble of putting different mufflers on different trims?? My truck is a Sport, and the stock muffler was huge. I'd just be surprised to see them fit different mufflers to different trucks, when they do so much the same such as wiring harnesses, etc.

YES! I do...

It's common to have different trim levels with different exhausts. In this case, I believe it's two different mufflers.

ob1sw4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mufflers on the Express are ginaormous it was like bench pressing a water heater when I took mine off lol.

Yeah! that thing is beastly, I wonder what the weight difference is between say a muffler delete or a 18" magnaflow, and that thing.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I checked All Mopar parts, they only list one single in/dual out muffler. Doesn't mean there isn't a different one, but it does suggest there may be only one (Sounds like a line from Highlander--McMuffler of the Clan McMuffler :jnono:).

OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chewy; would you say the Sport/Laramie+ etc are different, or maybe there is one for the express only??
The weight savings are substantial; I don't even have my 22" muffler clamped up the stock hangers yet and I'm not very worried about it.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes.

Are the Ram specific exhausts different? I dunno, but I believe them to be.

However, it is widely common that manufacturers put different "things" on different trim levels of vehicles. Sway bars, springs, shocks/struts, insulation, muffler tips, and on and on; are common things different between trim levels that are not necessary obvious to the "naked" eye.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Chewy; would you say the Sport/Laramie+ etc are different, or maybe there is one for the express only??
The weight savings are substantial; I don't even have my 22" muffler clamped up the stock hangers yet and I'm not very worried about it.

From the video I watched, the guy said the "sport" had a different muffler to give it a more muscular tone. It sounded pretty dang good, but wasn't deep enough for me. My 24" is PERFECT!!