Stock thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. 3 answers and only one of them bothered to look at the actual thermostat. Lol

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The stock unit that came out of my '16 5.7 was a 203 as was the stock unit in my '17 392(Challenger). Only the older trucks came with a 195, but I can't remember when they made the switch to 203.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wow. 3 answers and only one of them bothered to look at the actual thermostat. Lol

I honestly haven’t had a thermostat out of probably a newer truck than 14. So if you guys are pulling out 203 ones than they need to update their service/parts info. Shows 195 right up to 2018.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't changed a thermostat out in probably 10 years. Changing the thermostat out to a lower temperature one without tuning to allow for it does little. The only reason I ever went to a lower temp t'stat to begin with(in the past) was to combat detonation issues. I looked on the internet and that's the first thing that I came up with. If I wanted to buy one I would go to the parts store and ask for a stock one and that would be the end of it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I haven't changed a thermostat out in probably 10 years. Changing the thermostat out to a lower temperature one without tuning to allow for it does little. The only reason I ever went to a lower temp t'stat to begin with(in the past) was to combat detonation issues. I looked on the internet and that's the first thing that I came up with. If I wanted to buy one I would go to the parts store and ask for a stock one and that would be the end of it.

Our Hemi engines can’t run a whole bunch of timing and will experience the most spark retard when cold. One of the tuning guys around here put a 180f thermostat in his challenger and found out it experienced more spark retard than with the stock thermostat.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going by where my 17 5.7 temp runs i think 203 would be in my engine.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Our Hemi engines can’t run a whole bunch of timing and will experience the most spark retard when cold. One of the tuning guys around here put a 180f thermostat in his challenger and found out it experienced more spark retard than with the stock thermostat.

Not gonna say much,but your tuner is out to lunch Dan. He's backasswards from every other Hemi tuner,lol. Matt Brown/Jay Greene /my old tuner Chris all recommend running a 180 or colder,with Greene recommending the 160 high flow Milodon T-stat a lot lately. Would this be the same tuner that kicked a rod out the side of your motor,lol.
Rick

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not gonna say much,but your tuner is out to lunch Dan. He's backasswards from every other Hemi tuner,lol. Matt Brown/Jay Greene /my old tuner Chris all recommend running a 180 or colder,with Greene recommending the 160 high flow Milodon T-stat a lot lately. Would this be the same tuner that kicked a rod out the side of your motor,lol.
Rick

Lol I can neither confirm nor deny who it was. It was just a comment he made to me one day about his car. I’ve never actually tested it myself though so I can’t confirm it.

I have noticed on my truck that until it reaches operating temp it will have a little bit of spark retard, however power adders make everything different.

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I honestly haven’t had a thermostat out of probably a newer truck than 14. So if you guys are pulling out 203 ones than they need to update their service/parts info. Shows 195 right up to 2018.
Replaced Factory 203 in my 17 w 170

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rick
Jay recommended a 170 to
Me same as in his and wife’s

OP
OP
R

Rowdy Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know my truck run from 205-212..just wanted to lower it some to keep heat off my transmission

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Watched mine today and ran a pretty consistent 197F.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Watched mine today and ran a pretty consistent 197F.

If you've never changed your stock T-stat,you didn't drive it far enough Dan,lol. The stock T-stats are 203F,and nobodies trucks run at 197F with the stock T-stat,unless it's still warming up. Both the cars and trucks use the same 203 T-stats in the 5.7's,the only 4th Gen gas powered trucks that use a 195 T-stat were the old 4.7's and they discontinued the 4.7 in the trucks in 2013.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It was at operating temp, that’s after about a 20 min drive from home to work. Same story when I was out for about an hour after work. My fan parameters aren’t stock though, those were changed when the whipple was done. The electric fan comes on a lot sooner than how it’s set from the factory.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It was at operating temp, that’s after about a 20 min drive from home to work. Same story when I was out for about an hour after work. My fan parameters aren’t stock though, those were changed when the whipple was done. The electric fan comes on a lot sooner than how it’s set from the factory.

Doesn't matter when the e-fan comes on,if the thermostat is closed.If you've never changed the T-stat,it's a 203 stat. Get it out o the highway at 110 clics for an hour,idling around town,doesn't get it up to operating temps. You're truck would be 1 of 1 if it runs at 197 with a 203 thermostat,lol.If you had changed it to a 195 stat,i could see it running at 197,lol